Do you prefer Millennials or Gen Z as a generation?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:16:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you prefer Millennials or Gen Z as a generation?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Do you prefer Millennials or Gen Z as a generation?
Millennials

Gen Z

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Do you prefer Millennials or Gen Z as a generation?  (Read 2577 times)
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2023, 04:08:22 PM »

They horrify me because of how much the quality of my life would degrade if Gen Z got their way:

-No more mosh pits.
-No music fests that don't include rap.
-Permanent mask mandates everywhere.
-Constantly having to state and specify my pronouns despite having never done this in my life with no issues whatsoever.

A Gen Z dream world would be a f[inks]ing nightmare.
Jesse what the  are you talking about
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2023, 04:19:34 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2023, 04:27:25 PM by TheTide »

If you're a younger Millennial, there isn't that much of a difference between you and (older) Zoomers.

If you're an older Millennial, then it is beyond pathetic to be emotionally invested in Generation WarsTM with kids who are, at the absolute oldest, less than three years out of college.

The first paragraph goes some way to explaining the issue raised in the second paragraph. Creating and persisting with these arbitrary categories (to the extent that they become identities in themselves) is bound to create conflict. It's particularly silly as there are in some cases bigger differences within these categories than between them.

Incidentally, here's something that kind of relates to this. On certain dating apps I've noticed that some people have a bizarre and very specific age range preference. Not a round number (which is silly enough in itself IMO) but, for example, someone who is 33 might have 31-34 as their age range. Does that mean someone who is going to turn 35 next week will then be out of the question, and does a 30 year-old whose birthday isn't until next week need to wait until then to message this person? Plenty of people are 'younger' or 'older', by a little bit or by a significant amount, in terms of their personality, looks, health etc. In adulthood, those factors and others are more important, surely, in determining whether a relationship or friendship will work.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2023, 08:57:59 PM »

Generation wars are dumb.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2023, 10:06:53 PM »

I reject the premise of the question.  I was born in 1996, so I am (by most sources) a very late Millennial.  Saying I have more generationally in common with a 40 year old than a 24 year old seems rather ludicrous to me.  There certainly can be differences based on when we grew up, but these arbitrary 15-20 year generations are pointless*.

*With the exception of the Baby Boomers because that was an actual demographic event.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2023, 10:31:21 PM »

They horrify me because of how much the quality of my life would degrade if Gen Z got their way:

-No more mosh pits.
-Constantly having to state and specify my pronouns despite having never done this in my life with no issues whatsoever.

All of those are things that were unheard of before Gen Z and now I've heard including here. Yes some Gen Zers want to ban moshing and basically enforce social distancing again at least half the year. Yes Gen Zers say not listening to rap is racist. Yes some Gen Zers including on this forum have called for permanent mask mandates ever after Covid. Yes in the last few days even we've had Gen Z posters defend the notion of having to always state and ask for pronouns.

Ten years ago all of those were considered beyond laughable notions.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2023, 10:35:48 PM »

Incidentally, here's something that kind of relates to this. On certain dating apps I've noticed that some people have a bizarre and very specific age range preference. Not a round number (which is silly enough in itself IMO) but, for example, someone who is 33 might have 31-34 as their age range. Does that mean someone who is going to turn 35 next week will then be out of the question, and does a 30 year-old whose birthday isn't until next week need to wait until then to message this person? Plenty of people are 'younger' or 'older', by a little bit or by a significant amount, in terms of their personality, looks, health etc. In adulthood, those factors and others are more important, surely, in determining whether a relationship or friendship will work.

I don't think it's that weird, I think most people would want a partner to be +/- 3 years of their own age.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2023, 10:39:35 PM »

Also, I'd literally never heard the term "millennial pause" until reading this thread.  I looked it up, and then checked my videos.  It turns out that I very much have it.  I guess that settles which generation I am.

I don't think it's that weird, I think most people would want a partner to be +/- 3 years of their own age.

I've always felt like age gaps seem more reasonable if the guy is slightly older.  Like, a 26 year old guy might want a girl from 20-29 (-6 to +3), while a 26 year old girl might want a guy from 23 to 32 (-3 to +6).  At least it often tends to be that way for whatever reason.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2023, 10:50:54 PM »

I've always felt like age gaps seem more reasonable if the guy is slightly older.  Like, a 26 year old guy might want a girl from 20-29 (-6 to +3), while a 26 year old girl might want a guy from 23 to 32 (-3 to +6).  At least it often tends to be that way for whatever reason.

I mean they're certainly more common, but I don't know why they would be more reasonable. I know I'm probably an outlier, but I do prefer women who are slightly older than me.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2023, 10:59:39 PM »

-No more mosh pits.

All of those are things that were unheard of before Gen Z and now I've heard including here.
Dude, just because all the TEBloggers you are strangely obsessed with are 15-20 years younger than you doesn't mean literally everyone in that age range agrees with everything they believe. These things are also not uniquely Gen Z.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2023, 06:53:17 AM »

I prefer to not pay attention to any flimsy, arbitrary stereotypes about a group of people collectively identified by what year they were born in. It's like having faith in Chinese Zodiac.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2023, 03:34:27 PM »

This is just a bunch of transphobic nonsense. Also, how is hip-hop a bad thing(I don't listen to it, but the criticism here is racist). The "Freedom" narrative against Covid is BS.  Of course, I kind of am of that generation, but born a few years too early.  One more thing, animation is much better today than in the 1970's.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2023, 03:40:19 PM »

This is just a bunch of transphobic nonsense. Also, how is hip-hop a bad thing(I don't listen to it, but the criticism here is racist).

Because I don't listen to it. Which according to many people is inherently racist and it's impossible to not listen to rap and not be racist.

The "Freedom" narrative against Covid is BS.

I didn't mention that at all. I'm talking about permanent mask mandates even after Covid. However it is worth noting it's been almost a year since any notable areas have had mask mandates and no Covid surge, mask wearing is below 10% where I live (hardly a conservative bastion) and things are fine and functioning like pre-Covid. It's not a "Freedom narrative", it's just acknowledging mask mandates are no longer necessary.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2023, 03:47:23 PM »

Late Millennials > Zoomers > Early Millennials
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2023, 09:38:06 PM »

Late Millennials > Zoomers > Early Millennials

This. While zoomers born post 1999 are a bit too obnoxious and woke for my taste, they at least give a sh*t, while early Millennials got goo goo eyed over "Hope and Change" in 2008 only to take their ball and go home when they didn't get 100% of what they wanted, I dare say Trump got a great deal of support from older white millennials.
DieselDogg
Rookie
United States
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2023, 09:44:12 PM »

Millennials. I am gen z technically and I ing hate most of the ppl in my generation
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2023, 09:47:29 PM »

Gen Z are a bunch of bullies with their shaming of millennial traits, such as the whole "millennial pause" thing.

-No more mosh pits.

There's a really big live music scene here almost entirely run by the 25 and under age range which barely includes any rap (although most people do listen to rap yeah but that's because they don't have a super narrow music taste). Nobody wears masks anymore. If anything the millennials are more likely to. Open up your mind BRTD.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2023, 09:50:40 PM »

Gen Z are a bunch of bullies with their shaming of millennial traits, such as the whole "millennial pause" thing.

-No more mosh pits.

There's a really big live music scene here almost entirely run by the 25 and under age range which barely includes any rap (although most people do listen to rap yeah but that's because they don't have a super narrow music taste). Nobody wears masks anymore. If anything the millennials are more likely to. Open up your mind BRTD.
Then your area is quite different from Gen Zers here and on social media.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2023, 11:27:48 PM »

I also forgot that a lot of Gen Z wants to force me to say "Latinx"
the artist formerly known as catmusic
schnittdoodle
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2023, 12:37:59 AM »

this is the stupidest debate I've ever seen. literally who cares. I was born in 1999 so I got to use flip phones and dial-up and I'm technically Gen Z so get off my lawn youngins
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2023, 02:01:25 PM »

-No more mosh pits.

All of those are things that were unheard of before Gen Z and now I've heard including here. Yes some Gen Zers want to ban moshing and basically enforce social distancing again at least half the year. Yes Gen Zers say not listening to rap is racist. Yes some Gen Zers including on this forum have called for permanent mask mandates ever after Covid. Yes in the last few days even we've had Gen Z posters defend the notion of having to always state and ask for pronouns.

How do I still live rent free in your head?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2023, 02:02:58 PM »

-No more mosh pits.

You never renounced any of your insane such views, just as you never renounced defending Saira Rao or other crazy things you said in your "toxic" incarnation that you admit was toxic but hold the same views as now.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2023, 02:07:20 PM »

-No more mosh pits.

You never renounced any of your insane such views, just as you never renounced defending Saira Rao or other crazy things you said in your "toxic" incarnation that you admit was toxic but hold the same views as now.
I don't even remember that a Saira Rao exists. Take a chill pill and stop obsessing over some random barely-adult halfway across the country from you.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2023, 02:08:52 PM »

-No more mosh pits.

I don't even remember that a Saira Rao exists. Take a chill pill and stop obsessing over some random barely-adult halfway across the country from you.
That's kind of a tacit admission your views are insane, it's just that they don't matter because you're not relevant.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2023, 02:13:03 PM »

-No more mosh pits.

That's kind of a tacit admission your views are insane, it's just that they don't matter because you're not relevant.
It's called a snide dismissal. It means the post is too ridiculous to be worth seriously engaging with.
Liminal Trans Girl
Lawer
United States

P P P
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2023, 03:26:25 PM »

BRTD is making a very effective argument for Gen Z
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies