2016 Democratic primary: Hillary Clinton vs. Michelle Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:17:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2016 Democratic primary: Hillary Clinton vs. Michelle Obama
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2016 Democratic primary: Hillary Clinton vs. Michelle Obama  (Read 396 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 29, 2023, 11:16:39 AM »

Clinton vs. Obama primary showdown reloaded... how do you think a 2016 Democratic primary would have turned out if Michelle Obama indeed wanted to run to directly succeed her husband and jumped into the presidential race, challenging Hillary Clinton? Bernie doesn't run in this scenario and Biden of course doesn't either (O'Malley and Webb do, but are non-factors).

Given how far Bernie came with a lot of Clinton resentment votes, I think Obama would have won the nomination.

Bonus question: If nominated, does Michelle become the 45th president?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 05:49:29 PM »

I love Michelle Obama. I really do. But her running in 2016, would face the exact same problems that Hillary would have faced in 2000.

While Michelle probably would clean house with the black vote (and that isn't guaranteed, both Hillary and Bill were still popular in that community), she'd probably do worse than Sanders with every other demographic.

Michelle wins the South, and Illinois, and maybe wins enough delegates to extend the race into late April/Early May.

If she did win the nomination, she'd crush Trump though. She has literally none of Hillary's general election vulnerabilities.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 06:53:08 PM »

Michelle Obama would have decimated Hillary Clinton in most states, I believe. Clinton won the primary against Sanders due to her support from the black community in important primary states, and that would have been neutralized versus Michelle Obama.

As for the general election, likability (especially in comparison to Trump) possibly would have been enough to make her a better candidate that could have won.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 08:04:03 PM »

I love Michelle Obama. I really do. But her running in 2016, would face the exact same problems that Hillary would have faced in 2000.

I kinda wish Hillary had run for "Bill's Third Term" in 2000, I think she would have won easily actually.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies