Colorado appeals court rules baker must bake gender transition cake
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:48:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Colorado appeals court rules baker must bake gender transition cake
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Colorado appeals court rules baker must bake gender transition cake  (Read 1801 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2023, 11:38:43 PM »

Does anyone have any idea why there is apparently only one baker in the entire state of CO?
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 11:42:22 PM »

Correct decision. Hopefully it does not get overturned, but I doubt it.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 11:45:51 PM »

Christianity says you can't make a gender transition? I was never taught that.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 12:09:27 AM »

lmao
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 12:14:49 AM »

Colorado baker and a bs lawsuit . Name a more iconic combination
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2023, 12:18:49 AM »

This is just stupid on both sides.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2023, 01:08:42 AM »

Why is it always a damn cake. What is with these bigoted bakers.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2023, 01:16:00 AM »

It's the same baker lol
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2023, 01:44:56 AM »

What the hell
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2023, 01:47:23 AM »

The Colorado Court of Appeals agreed with a trial judge that Masterpiece Cakeshop and the bakery's owner, Jack Phillips, violated Autumn Scardina's rights by denying her service because of her identity as a transgender woman.

Lawyers for the baker, who was fined $500, had argued that he refused service based on his sincere Christian beliefs and that forcing him to make a cake celebrating a gender transition would violate his free speech rights under the U.S. Constitution's First Amendment.

But Judge Timothy Schutz, writing for the three-judge panel, said the pink cake with blue frosting Scardina requested expressed no message or imagery with any inherent meaning that would violate his rights.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2023, 01:58:56 AM »

Hopefully SCOTUS tells these activists to buzz off.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2023, 01:59:37 AM »

Seriously?! Okay, I'm calling harassment, even though I think his position is ridiculous and bigoted as well.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2023, 04:34:16 AM »

yeah at this point if it's the same guy that's just targeted. If the guy's the only baker in, idk, the county, then there's an issue since you might not have other options. But I highly doubt Jefferson County doesn't have anyone else.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2023, 11:25:28 AM »

How I see it if this same guy keeps going before the court cause every other week there’s some cake he doesn’t want to make

a) why is he a baker
b) how does he still have customers
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2023, 01:32:54 PM »

Just so we're clear, he doesn't have to write a pro-trans message or decoration or anything like that, just make a regular order, which was a plain strawberry cake with blue icing that he likely would have made without issue had he not known the person ordering it was trans.

The "standard order vs. special order" distinction is a good one to follow.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2023, 01:38:53 PM »

Just so we're clear, he doesn't have to write a pro-trans message or decoration or anything like that, just make a regular order, which was a plain strawberry cake with blue icing that he likely would have made without issue had he not known the person ordering it was trans.

That is a most sensible distinction, but it raises the question as to just why the guy knew what the purpose of the generic cake was. Was it a set up case, where he was told in order to induce him to refuse, the better to be sued? That reminds me of the sodomy case, where the two guys made sure cops were there to watch the action, in order to get arrested and get through the court house doors, one door at a time all the way up to SCOTUS.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2023, 01:46:09 PM »

I don’t know about you but my first choice wouldn’t be to support a business that opposes my values. And it’s not like they’re in the middle of nowhere, they’re in the Denver suburbs. Just find a different baker and leave the guy in peace.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2023, 01:55:46 PM »

I don’t know about you but my first choice wouldn’t be to support a business that opposes my values.

You undoubtedly do all the time without realizing it. You can't expect anyone to only shop at places whose owners don't disagree with you politically.

However you can expect to be treated equally by those owners regardless of who you are.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2023, 02:27:22 PM »

Yep. All of these people have way too much time on their hands.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2023, 02:41:30 PM »

How I see it if this same guy keeps going before the court cause every other week there’s some cake he doesn’t want to make

a) why is he a baker
b) how does he still have customers
It's because activists keep intentionally targeting this guy with what amounts to a sting operation because they know he'll refuse. Obviously there's no shortage of bakeries in metro Denver that'll bake such cakes. And he still has customers because there's plenty of people who don't care/agree with his views. Really all they're doing is bringing him more business because he gets more publicity and conservatives rally around him, it's like the Streisand Effect.

I've thus found these suits pretty silly, why no just give your money and support to a non-bigot? It's not like this guy is the only baker in Jefferson County, CO and there aren't tons of gay and trans-friendly ones. It's not like they're even doing him any damage, he gets more business because conservatives make a point of patronizing him, right-wing groups handle his legal cases pro bono...and last time a case like this went to SCOTUS it was a 7-2 decision with only Sotomayor still on the court...just boycott this asshole and anyone like him, give your money to a non-bigot instead and move on.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2023, 02:52:33 PM »

I don’t know about you but my first choice wouldn’t be to support a business that opposes my values.

You undoubtedly do all the time without realizing it. You can't expect anyone to only shop at places whose owners don't disagree with you politically.

However you can expect to be treated equally by those owners regardless of who you are.

I think it’s a safe bet that one is capable of finding a bakery near Lakewood, CO (and remember this is only a partial showing) that would be willing to bake a cake for a gay wedding or to celebrate transition.

I already know via first hand reports that there are even multiple bakeries in Bismarck, ND that are willing to make a gay wedding cake. And I bet there also are in where you live in Mississippi too.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2023, 02:59:22 PM »

I'm aware that basically every bakery in Mississippi and every other state will make a strawberry cake with blue icing for whomever asks, trans or not. The point is that you shouldn't have to do your own research on this. Every business should treat their customers the same.

For example, I ate lunch today at Buffalo Wild Wings. Do I know what the politics of the manager, cooks, waiters, etc., are? No, I don't care. I can't be bothered to check on every restaurant or store that I go into, and they're all treating me the same anyway. This baker should treat the trans person the same as he would a cis person who wants a strawberry cake.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2023, 03:00:45 PM »

The article says the cake in question was a standard order, not a special "custom art." He just didn't want to give a standard cake to a trans person.

If the trans person wanted an explicitly trans decorated cake that would qualify as "custom art" I would be his #1 supporter on this whole forum.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2023, 03:05:36 PM »

The article says the cake in question was a standard order, not a special "custom art." He just didn't want to give a standard cake to a trans person.

If the trans person wanted an explicitly trans decorated cake that would qualify as "custom art" I would be his #1 supporter on this whole forum.

Whoops, I thought this was a different case.  Tempted to just delete this.  If it was a standard item off a menu he is content to offer to the general public, it's not art or compelled participation in a ceremony and IMO he has no leg to stand on.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2023, 03:05:44 PM »

That is a most sensible distinction, but it raises the question as to just why the guy knew what the purpose of the generic cake was. Was it a set up case, where he was told in order to induce him to refuse, the better to be sued? That reminds me of the sodomy case, where the two guys made sure cops were there to watch the action, in order to get arrested and get through the court house doors, one door at a time all the way up to SCOTUS.

In this case it seems like she did tell him on purpose so that he’d refuse, so I agree that it essentially was what you call a sting operation (and re: Harry’s point, I think that something that might be a standard order in general can still express a political meaning, like if she asked for a cake with the actual trans flag made out of frosting - I’m not sure where I fall on this particular cake). But in general I don’t think it’s so unnatural that the reason someone wants a cake or a certain kind of cake would come up while making small talk with a baker.

That all being said, a lot of these arguments are sounding pretty similar to “why not just find a restaurant that serves black people?” We shouldn’t have to have a Green Book part 2 for LGBT people.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies