The 1/2 News Hour
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 02:48:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The 1/2 News Hour
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is this funny?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: The 1/2 News Hour  (Read 2220 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2007, 10:51:09 AM »

This is a new show on Fox News intended to be a conservative version of The Daily Show. But it's not one billionth as funny. Actually, it's less funny than even MadTV, which is saying a lot. Check out this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjIfaMwIFxU

We still own the right wing in humor Smiley
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 11:40:19 AM »

Eh.. it was mildly funny.  Except I don't know one single light hearted conservative.  You can tell by all the guffawing in the audience that it's mostly a bunch of pissed off white men that probably got lured in with free tickets and a can of really crappy piss water beer.

Is it just me, or has Fox News become infinitely worse since the last election?  It's like they finally just said "screw it" and slid completely to the right.  I used to read their news just for a little balance, but I can't even stand it any more.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 02:39:31 AM »

In foresight, this was inevitable. The Daily Show is far more important than a lot of people realize. Especially after the Colbert Report, FOX had to strike back. I feel like it's more a parody of Jon Stewart than an imitation. I also don't see this show being especially popular. I thought it was pretty funny, but I don't think this kind of humor suits FOX news people especially well.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 03:20:47 AM »

I didn't like it one bit. As a conserative, I enjoy The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, even though both (especially Daily Show) clearly have a liberal bias.

However, FOX is a NEWS channel, the biggest and best one at that. Having a comedy show is just not in the right mold. I think that if this show was on Comedy Central, it would be much better.

I personally don't like when the Republican Party acts hackish or makes stupid jokes about the democrats. I like honor and style. An occasional wisecrack is fine...but we are a party of conservative principle, not hackish humor.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 03:53:21 AM »

You sure about that?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 03:56:53 AM »

The Daily Show makes fun of Democrats, too. And generally they make fun of people after they say something stupid.

That clip just shows them taking cheap personal blows at Obama... BO and Gassy? Uhh...

And the canned laughs are pretty pathetic.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 08:32:28 AM »

Eh, it was so-so.  Not my kind of humor.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 01:15:57 PM »

Thanks for proving me right.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 01:23:53 PM »

Thanks for proving me right.

hahaha . . . that's ok.  The Daily Show hasn't been that funny (to me) ever since Craig left the show either.  His show was much more general humor-based rather than political humor-based, and after a while, political humor gets old and repetitive.

YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 01:35:08 PM »

This, nor "Red Eye", is not even remotely funny.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 02:31:25 PM »

South Park.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 02:38:08 PM »

This could have been funnier without the contrived background laughter.  But as is usually the case whenever Fox does comedy, the jokes have to be either ridiculously OTT, or accompanied with excessive laughter so that their target audience will actually know which parts are meant to be funny.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 02:39:37 PM »

This could have been funnier without the contrived background laughter.  But as is usually the case whenever Fox does comedy, the jokes have to be either ridiculously OTT, or accompanied with excessive laughter so that their target audience will actually know which parts are meant to be funny.

Because right-wingers are all idiots, as opposed to the sophisticated liberals who have no need for such "aides". Obviously.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »

Because right-wingers are all idiots, as opposed to the sophisticated liberals who have no need for such "aides". Obviously.

Where did I make mine a political judgement?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 02:42:59 PM »

Given that Joe didn't even mention political ideology, is this basically a tacit admission that Fox is right-wing?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 02:45:01 PM »

Where I bolded.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 02:46:56 PM »

Well you can read it that way if you want, but you'd be reading it wrong.  It's up to you, though.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 02:48:50 PM »

Where I bolded.

I think Fox's target audience is stupid people, along with most news channels.  The fact that they tend to be more right-wing stupid people than those watching CNN is a coincidence.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 02:49:05 PM »

Given that Joe didn't even mention political ideology, is this basically a tacit admission that Fox is right-wing?

I'll answer everything you are asking.
First, yes, FOX has an ideology behind its reports, but so do all other news networks.
Second, that ideology is neo-conservatism. In my opinion, neo-conservatism is a left-wing ideology, but that's not how it is commonly perceived.
Third, the common perception of FOX audience is right-wingers of all stripes, including real conservatives and liberventionists. This as opposed to the audience of, say, CNN, which would be in common accepted perceptions liberals and "moderates". That's the layer where I was engaging Joe's statement.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 02:51:58 PM »

And you couldn't have simply taken my statement as tongue-in-cheek, as was intended?

As Gabu correctly said, I was poking fun at Fox's audience for being idiots, not for being conservative.  Your connection of the two is slightly telling, if I may say.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2007, 02:56:34 PM »

And you couldn't have simply taken my statement as tongue-in-cheek, as was intended?
It was tongue-in-cheek, but all humor has something behind it, including the perceptions of the person making it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Spare me the armchair psychology. You may have been poking fun at the FOX audience for being idiots, but given that the FOX audience is perceived as being conservative, you were making a connection between conservatism and idiocy. Just because I picked up on it does not make me an idiot, nor does it make right-wingers idiots.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2007, 03:05:02 PM »

Jeez, chill out!

I fail to see how I made a connection between conservatives and idiots.  Show me where I even mentioned the word 'conservative' in my original comment.  I believe the first person to do so here, in fact, was you in your initial reply.  Stop reading into things that aren't there, and weren't even intended in the first place.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2007, 03:30:11 PM »

Libertarians that hate Bush? One of the creators voted for Kerry; the other voted for Badnarik. I suppose they are part of the "right," but it's not a Fox News-style mainstream conservatism.

Anyway, not funny.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2007, 03:37:53 PM »

Libertarians that hate Bush? One of the creators voted for Kerry; the other voted for Badnarik. I suppose they are part of the "right," but it's not a Fox News-style mainstream conservatism.

I think hate is a pretty strong word, given that they haven't treated Bush with any venom that I saw, and even made fun of people against him in the 9/11 conspiracy episode.
That said, BRTD mentioned the right wing, not just conservatism. Libertarianism is a right wing ideology, so South Park fits perfectly.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2007, 03:53:28 PM »

To the gas chambers with you.

Anyway why should a news network have a comedy show anyway? All the cable news channels are about equally as bad but having a comedy show on what is supposed to be a serious new channel, though I don't know if we can call Fox serious anymore, is rediculous.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies