The 1/2 News Hour
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 10:21:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The 1/2 News Hour
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Is this funny?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: The 1/2 News Hour  (Read 2221 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2007, 04:01:32 PM »

I wouldn't say South Park was right wing. It has a libertarian slant yes, but kicks bother liberals and conservatives in the balls when they need to.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2007, 04:03:07 PM »

I wouldn't say South Park was right wing. It has a libertarian slant yes, but kicks bother liberals and conservatives in the balls when they need to.

Daily Show also makes fun of liberals.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2007, 04:05:36 PM »

To be funny in a political humour show you have to attack both sides or else just attacking one side with humourous slights will get boring and people will change the channel.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2007, 04:07:33 PM »

To be funny in a political humour show you have to attack both sides or else just attacking one side with humourous slights will get boring and people will change the channel.

Exactly. That doesn't mean the backdrop of the show isn't rightwing.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2007, 04:10:32 PM »

Joel Surnow should really stick to 24 and not political comedy.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2007, 04:15:55 PM »

My point is that the background of South Park isn't rightwing, at least not in it's modern American sense. It is particularly scathing about religion and turns so called 'family values' on its head. If you have to slap on any label, then it would have to be libertarian.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2007, 04:22:39 PM »

South Park is a comedy first, and is political distantly second.  There are many episodes that aren't even remotely political.  I wouldn't particularly say it has any coherent preached political philosophy at all.  Most of the overtly political stuff within the show is just attacking stupid things in the world, not actively trying to convey their own message.  I don't recall any episode where Stan tried to convince the viewer that welfare is bad, or that taxes should be lowered, or that schools should be privatized, or whatever.  Instead, you get episodes where Al Gore is super cereal about manbearpig.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2007, 04:30:15 PM »

My point is that the background of South Park isn't rightwing, at least not in it's modern American sense. It is particularly scathing about religion and turns so called 'family values' on its head. If you have to slap on any label, then it would have to be libertarian.

I agree that it is libertarian. However, libertarianism is a rightwing ideology.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2007, 04:40:48 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2007, 05:19:31 PM by Ship, the Magic Suffix »

South Park is a comedy first, and is political distantly second.  There are many episodes that aren't even remotely political.  I wouldn't particularly say it has any coherent preached political philosophy at all.  Most of the overtly political stuff within the show is just attacking stupid things in the world, not actively trying to convey their own message.  I don't recall any episode where Stan tried to convince the viewer that welfare is bad, or that taxes should be lowered, or that schools should be privatized, or whatever.  Instead, you get episodes where Al Gore is super cereal about manbearpig.

they defended the end of handouts to airlines, for instance. And the show just gives a right-wing vibe. One of the creators, I don't remember which one and I can't check since Wikipedia is down, states that "We hate conservatives. But we really fucking hate liberals."
the only reason you're disputing this is that you can't stand the thought of rightwingers doing anything funny, original and clever. It destroys your leftist moral highground.  Keep denying it all you want it buddy, it's swon't make it go away.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2007, 04:47:19 PM »

Matt and Trey are reportedly members of the Libertarian Party. But they are a bit ambivious as to what they would 'pin themselves' as (then again why should they pin themselves as anything). It's never given me a right-wing vibe, purely a fairly permissive, anti-authoritarian skeptic look at the world and the issues.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2007, 04:49:12 PM »

The term 'South Park Republican' was coined because the ideological bent of that show was so difficult to pigeonhole.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2007, 04:55:45 PM »

The term 'South Park Republican' was coined because the ideological bent of that show was so difficult to pigeonhole.

And was coined by Andrew Sullivan (un)suprisingly. Matt and Trey probably summed themselves up; 'People on the far left and the far right are the same exact person to us.' Which is in line with my own line of thinking. The show tends to mock the people, institutions and trends that I would mock while being relaitively permissive about how people choose to live their lives.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies