Pennsylvania Statewide Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:38:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pennsylvania Statewide Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15
Author Topic: Pennsylvania Statewide Discussion  (Read 19972 times)
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: April 10, 2024, 05:36:41 PM »
« edited: April 10, 2024, 05:41:41 PM by Arizona Iced Tea »

Tim DeFoor's strength and weakness is both that he's a nobody. He's a blank slate to 98% of people. No one knows who he is or what he does. That's why I think it's imperative for Dems to start defining him early, because he is the most blank slate of all blank slates to the average person.
Doesn't DeFoor have an outright majority favoribility rating? There was only poll and its over a year old, but its such a niche position so there isn't anything more recent. It's very difficult to oust an incumbent with those levels of support regardless. And what's even the point? State Auditor is a relatively weak position and there isn't a good reason to spend millions of dollars on an uphill battle to flip it to Dems for the sake of having a Dem. Iowa has a Dem Auditor, it's fine. Even in ruby red SC, McMaster and the legislature appointed a Dem to that position. Stuff like Auditor is just a boring clerical job, and polarizing it because of people's party affiliation is a crappy thing to do. Unless the incumbent is doing a poor job, or doing a bad job it should be a relatively easy hold.
Duke of York

« Reply #251 on: April 10, 2024, 06:01:58 PM »

if Republicans run Mastriano again they can guarantee Shapiro gets a second term and has even bigger coattails then 2022.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #252 on: April 10, 2024, 06:18:24 PM »

Tim DeFoor's strength and weakness is both that he's a nobody. He's a blank slate to 98% of people. No one knows who he is or what he does. That's why I think it's imperative for Dems to start defining him early, because he is the most blank slate of all blank slates to the average person.
Doesn't DeFoor have an outright majority favoribility rating? There was only poll and its over a year old, but its such a niche position so there isn't anything more recent. It's very difficult to oust an incumbent with those levels of support regardless. And what's even the point? State Auditor is a relatively weak position and there isn't a good reason to spend millions of dollars on an uphill battle to flip it to Dems for the sake of having a Dem. Iowa has a Dem Auditor, it's fine. Even in ruby red SC, McMaster and the legislature appointed a Dem to that position. Stuff like Auditor is just a boring clerical job, and polarizing it because of people's party affiliation is a crappy thing to do. Unless the incumbent is doing a poor job, or doing a bad job it should be a relatively easy hold.

I heavily doubt that a majority of Pennsylvanians even know who he is...
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #253 on: April 10, 2024, 06:51:55 PM »

if Republicans run Mastriano again they can guarantee Shapiro gets a second term and has even bigger coattails then 2022.

Just being a popular incumbent Governor alone seems to be enough insure re-election these days.

But yes, his 2022 landslide would be dwarfed.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #254 on: April 10, 2024, 07:05:56 PM »

I'm pretty sure that's the case with every state auditor.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #255 on: April 10, 2024, 07:11:53 PM »
« Edited: April 11, 2024, 09:55:35 AM by Dr Oz Lost Party! »

I'm pretty sure that's the case with every state auditor.

Well then he couldn't possibly have an outright majority favorability rating, right?
Epaminondas

« Reply #256 on: April 11, 2024, 07:03:47 AM »
« Edited: April 11, 2024, 07:10:56 AM by Epaminondas »

It's almost comical a state party is so dyfunctional and with such a horrible bench in an actual swing state (or at least one that is winnable for the GOP under the right circumstances).

Am I reading this slide correctly: outside of unhinged Stacey Garrity, the GOP base won't even consider their only moderately sane statewide officeholder, Tim DeFoor?
Why, if not the colour of his skin?

I think you answered your own question.

DeFoor might have had some skeletons in the closet.
His victory seems to be the high watermark of the post-2016 PAGOP: did he carry PA-1 and PA-7?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #257 on: April 11, 2024, 08:55:20 AM »

I'm unfamiliar with that poll but there's no way any poll more than like 20/20 makes sense since I guarantee you at least 60% if not more of the state of PA does not know who he is, and that is probably being kind. It's not easy or difficult to oust an incumbent when no one knows who they are.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #258 on: April 11, 2024, 09:05:48 AM »

VBM requested: 862,279
Dem: 629,259 (73.0%)
Rep: 224,495 (26.0%)

VBM returned: 156,341
Dem: 114,738 (73.4%)
Rep: 39,861 (25.5%)

Dem return rate: 18.2%
Rep return rate: 17.7%
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #259 on: April 11, 2024, 10:20:44 PM »

I'm unfamiliar with that poll but there's no way any poll more than like 20/20 makes sense since I guarantee you at least 60% if not more of the state of PA does not know who he is, and that is probably being kind. It's not easy or difficult to oust an incumbent when no one knows who they are.
For such a boring position like that its probably a good thing that most people don't know much about him. The only way a state auditor becomes a house hold name is they get caught in a really bad scanadal.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #260 on: April 12, 2024, 08:12:54 AM »

For such a boring position like that its probably a good thing that most people don't know much about him. The only way a state auditor becomes a house hold name is they get caught in a really bad scanadal.

That's the point though, you can easily be defined if you have any skeletons. Which honestly even I didn't know he did, but he is on tape being pretty flippant about the 2020 election so I think there's an angle. The point is, again, it goes both ways. Nobody knowing who you are is both a strength and weakness depending on the situation.

However, it remains to be seen if Kenyatta will go after DeFoor in that way. Bizarro has been fantastic so far at already setting up the campaign against Garrity (who does have more skeletons to be fair) but Kenyatta really needs to start to turn up the heat.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #261 on: April 12, 2024, 09:05:36 AM »

VBM requested: 868,492
Dem: 632,929 (72.9%)
Rep: 226,993 (26.1%)

VBM returned: 194,358
Dem: 142,025 (73.1%)
Rep: 50,341 (25.9%)

Dem return rate: 22.4%
Rep return rate: 22.2%
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #262 on: April 12, 2024, 09:16:43 AM »

I don't think Republicans can recover this decade from the hole they dug themselves on VBM. It's more severe as time goes on. As blue avatars love to remind us, the GOP now has the low-propensity voters, supposedly, so the more they surrender on this issue the worse it's going to be for them.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #263 on: April 12, 2024, 09:46:07 AM »

I don't think Republicans can recover this decade from the hole they dug themselves on VBM. It's more severe as time goes on. As blue avatars love to remind us, the GOP now has the low-propensity voters, supposedly, so the more they surrender on this issue the worse it's going to be for them.

Well and they really screwed themselves over on the permanent VBM list, too, which like you said, basically assures that a ton of possibly low propensity Dems now automatically get a mail ballot even if they didn't remember to request it. There was a big push especially during COVID to just sign up for the permanent list, and Reps chose to vilify VBM and not have their voters sign up for that. So now it's much more work for them to make sure all their voters are voting vs Dems now know hundreds of thousands of voters who just automatically get the ballot sent to them.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #264 on: April 12, 2024, 08:15:46 PM »

This is why being a nobody is a net negative for DeFoor.

Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #265 on: April 14, 2024, 03:00:31 PM »

"How dare Democrats run against a Republican?"
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #266 on: April 14, 2024, 05:27:03 PM »

I'm not saying that. What my point is though is that Auditor is the type position that you really shouldn't care about which political party the person is as long as they are doing a decent job. For an open seat sure, but its really unhealthy for our country to vote an incumbent out of a position if their only sin is being a member of the opposite party. I'm not going to attack the voters though. The bigger issue is when political parties spend millions trying to politicize offices that are boring clerical work on the state level.
UncleSam

« Reply #267 on: April 14, 2024, 06:17:31 PM »

Why is state auditor even a position people can vote for. Like why even administer an election for it, why not just make it an appointed office.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #268 on: April 15, 2024, 08:02:33 AM »

Why is state auditor even a position people can vote for. Like why even administer an election for it, why not just make it an appointed office.

PA is weird like that, where SOS is an appointed office but State Auditor is an elected position lol
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #269 on: April 15, 2024, 08:05:09 AM »

I'm not saying that. What my point is though is that Auditor is the type position that you really shouldn't care about which political party the person is as long as they are doing a decent job. For an open seat sure, but its really unhealthy for our country to vote an incumbent out of a position if their only sin is being a member of the opposite party. I'm not going to attack the voters though. The bigger issue is when political parties spend millions trying to politicize offices that are boring clerical work on the state level.

I mean, when they open themselves up like Garrity did to be partisan, why wouldn't they be voted out?

DeFoor also has not been entirely silent, he refused to say the 2020 election was fully fair:
https://www.instagram.com/p/C1z3n9dpODL/

Just because you're an incumbent as well doesn't just mean you're doing a great job, that's a bad assumption to make?
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #270 on: April 15, 2024, 08:20:34 AM »

On the AG quiz, I got Stollsteimer. He was my second choice in the end—I voted Solomon by mail. Apparently (as of last week) he was the only candidate on TV statewide. I think DePasquale wins though.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #271 on: April 15, 2024, 08:23:36 AM »

On the AG quiz, I got Stollsteimer. He was my second choice in the end—I voted Solomon by mail. Apparently (as of last week) he was the only candidate on TV statewide. I think DePasquale wins though.

Yeah I was able to catch some of 6ABC (Philly market) on Friday and saw a few Solomon and Stollstmeier ads, but it was like 3 Stollsteimer to 1 Solomon. Surprised Depasquale is not up on TV.

Got a mailer though for Joe Khan lol.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #272 on: April 15, 2024, 08:34:33 AM »

I think Stollsteimer is the strongest general election candidate, so I’m glad to hear he hit the airwaves too. I have gotten two Khan mailers, one of them pretty well-designed and creative. My ward endorsed Khan which is interesting because I expected them to go for Bradford-Grey. Then again, there’s always an interesting dynamic between the more moderate and Black SW Philly divisions and the Whiter People’s Republic of West Philly divisions.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #273 on: April 15, 2024, 09:11:28 AM »

VBM requested: 876,681
Dem: 638,311 (72.8%)
Rep: 229,751 (26.2%)

VBM returned: 248,094
Dem: 182,934 (73.7%)
Rep: 62,887 (25.3%)

Dem return rate: 28.7%
Rep return rate: 27.4%

Looking at the county by county breakdown, it's also very underrated how great of a VBM operation PA Dems have put into place in the more redder counties. You'd be surprised at how many Dem mail ballots are being racked up in these places (and at this point, you know they're still actual Dems vs. ancestral Ds, since the R-voting ancestral Ds would not be using VBM these days lol)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #274 on: April 15, 2024, 09:58:18 AM »

Meanwhile, Montco has been a disaster with ballots the last few cycles for reasons I do not understand why. For whatever reason, they can't get it together to get these ballots out in a timely manner. This happened multiple cycles in a row. Somehow Philly, Allegheny, and even the smaller counties all have their ish together, but it makes me sad and angry that my home county can't figure this out. It's clearly not a USPS issue if the rest of the state is not having issues.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies