2023 Philadelphia mayoral election megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:17:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2023 Philadelphia mayoral election megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Author Topic: 2023 Philadelphia mayoral election megathread  (Read 9607 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: October 26, 2023, 06:14:09 PM »

I've seen a few in Center City, but literally only one spot where they clearly just threw some up since its near the highway.

I will say, the dynamics are interesting, because IMO, both candidates are near invisible. Maybe it's just because this is a coronation for Parker basically, but you basically hear nothing about either of them, which is technically worse for Oh, bc it means he's definitely not doing anything that will get him out of the usual 15-20% that GOP gets, but frankly Parker has been kind of lazy imo. I get that she knows she's going to win regardless, but it feels like shes doing the literal bare minimum in this race, which is also frustrating because now I wonder if turnout will even be anything special, which will have affects for the SC race as well.
Duke of York

« Reply #151 on: October 26, 2023, 06:25:57 PM »

I've seen a few in Center City, but literally only one spot where they clearly just threw some up since its near the highway.

I will say, the dynamics are interesting, because IMO, both candidates are near invisible. Maybe it's just because this is a coronation for Parker basically, but you basically hear nothing about either of them, which is technically worse for Oh, bc it means he's definitely not doing anything that will get him out of the usual 15-20% that GOP gets, but frankly Parker has been kind of lazy imo. I get that she knows she's going to win regardless, but it feels like shes doing the literal bare minimum in this race, which is also frustrating because now I wonder if turnout will even be anything special, which will have affects for the SC race as well.

I don't think any election should be taken for granted. Her not campaigning could very well lower turnout and cost Democrats the Supreme Court.

Totally dumb of her to run a skeleton campaign.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #152 on: October 26, 2023, 06:35:14 PM »

I don't think any election should be taken for granted. Her not campaigning could very well lower turnout and cost Democrats the Supreme Court.

Even though the Dems have had a long streak, there have been close elections. Have there been any polls? I haven't seen any.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #153 on: October 26, 2023, 06:36:08 PM »

Yeah, I really hope I'm wrong and maybe I've missed stuff and this is just vibes, but like, there's no signs anywhere (except for the big sign on Spring Garden Street from the SEIU who has endorsed her) and she seems to do just sparing appearances/campaign stops. There doesn't seem to be a big presence at all, like she's truly grinding this out day in and day out. Which sucks, because you would think there's an opportunity to have high turnout because she will be the first black woman mayor in our city's history - but there doesn't feel like there's any energy. Hoping I'm wrong though.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #154 on: October 26, 2023, 06:37:09 PM »

Even though the Dems have had a long streak, there have been close elections. Have there been any polls? I haven't seen any.

Nope, literally none that I've seen lol. I guess pollsters figure why bother. That's the thing - like I said, as much as Parker seems to be taking this a bit for granted, Oh is just as invisible. He's broke and not really doing much either. There's not a lot of upset potential here at all.
Duke of York

« Reply #155 on: October 26, 2023, 06:38:33 PM »

Nope, literally none that I've seen lol. I guess pollsters figure why bother. That's the thing - like I said, as much as Parker seems to be taking this a bit for granted, Oh is just as invisible. He's broke and not really doing much either. There's not a lot of upset potential here at all.
No election should be taken for granted.

If I was in her position I'd be doing all I could to make turnout as high a possible due to the Supreme Court election. To win that race Democrats need high turnout in Philadelphia.
Red Wall

« Reply #156 on: October 26, 2023, 06:45:07 PM »

I was driving through North Wales (about 25 miles north of Philadelphia) the other day and saw a David Oh for Mayor sign. I haven't even seen one in Philadelphia proper.
They're everywhere in Chinatown.
The Asian gop swing continues
Duke of York

« Reply #157 on: October 26, 2023, 07:01:11 PM »

I was driving through North Wales (about 25 miles north of Philadelphia) the other day and saw a David Oh for Mayor sign. I haven't even seen one in Philadelphia proper.

signs don't vote.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #158 on: October 26, 2023, 07:27:47 PM »

There could be a slight one this year but not for the reasons you think - it's more local, as Oh is more against the Sixers arena close to Chinatown, but Parker is for. But that assumes Chinatown votes like a monolith, which it doesn't.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #159 on: October 26, 2023, 07:32:36 PM »

Yeah, I really hope I'm wrong and maybe I've missed stuff and this is just vibes, but like, there's no signs anywhere (except for the big sign on Spring Garden Street from the SEIU who has endorsed her) and she seems to do just sparing appearances/campaign stops. There doesn't seem to be a big presence at all, like she's truly grinding this out day in and day out. Which sucks, because you would think there's an opportunity to have high turnout because she will be the first black woman mayor in our city's history - but there doesn't feel like there's any energy. Hoping I'm wrong though.

This is a disease that most establishment Democrats seem to have. I suspect it's that they think if a voter has to be persuaded, then they're such a bad person that they're not worth wasting energy on in the first place. I had really hoped that we'd left a lot of this behind after 2021, but it seems like there are a lot of holdouts. If the Democrats lose the Supreme Court, a lot of the blame could probably be placed here.
Duke of York

« Reply #160 on: October 26, 2023, 07:38:18 PM »

This is a disease that most establishment Democrats seem to have. I suspect it's that they think if a voter has to be persuaded, then they're such a bad person that they're not worth wasting energy on in the first place. I had really hoped that we'd left a lot of this behind after 2021, but it seems like there are a lot of holdouts. If the Democrats lose the Supreme Court, a lot of the blame could probably be placed here.

I find it very concerning Parker is taking this for granted and not making every effort to get the highest turnout possible.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #161 on: October 26, 2023, 07:41:08 PM »

From what I can gleam, turnout looks okay in Philly as of right now.

In 2021, ~72k VBMs were cast
In 2022, ~127k VBMs were cast

Right now, we're at 105.5k requested and 35.5k returned, so seems likely we'll at least pass the 2021 total by the end.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #162 on: October 26, 2023, 07:42:45 PM »

I find it very concerning Parker is taking this for granted and not making every effort to get the highest turnout possible.

The only question mark could be TV - I don't watch network/cable TV so it's possible she's spending there.

I'm also kind of surprised there hasn't been more effort by Shapiro et. al too. A rally or something with Parker, Shapiro, etc. would be really cool. He doesn't really seem involved either. Even if he cut a TV ad would probably be really helpful (though he hasn't even cut one for McCaffery, so I guess that's not happening)
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #163 on: October 26, 2023, 07:43:42 PM »

Right now, we're at 105.5k requested and 35.5k returned, so seems likely we'll at least pass the 2021 total by the end.

Democrats are probably favored then. I trust midwestern state Democratic parties, it's the local machines that are dropping the ball.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2023, 07:45:44 PM »

To put in perspective how paltry it all is, the Inquirer reported in late September that this is how much each raised from the end of the primary (May) to September:

Parker - $875K
Oh - $100k

Not even $1m total between the two of them.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2023, 07:47:29 PM »

Democrats are probably favored then. I trust midwestern state Democratic parties, it's the local machines that are dropping the ball.

Yeah, Dems will likely also be helped out with the Allegheny County election, as has been stated. That and the Philly mayoral happening at the same time along with the post-Roe in the suburbs is making me feel much better about Dems than I was in 2021.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #166 on: October 27, 2023, 07:26:19 AM »
« Edited: October 27, 2023, 07:49:11 AM by °Sturdy Unicorn »

Here's a link lasting 59 minutes and 51 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKBg0EMICns&
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #167 on: October 27, 2023, 10:10:01 AM »

With todays update:

2021: 103,223 requested / 74,139 returned -- 71.8% return rate
2022: 161,724 requested / 129,363 returned -- 80.0% return rate
2023: 106,346 requested / 39,054 returned -- 36.7% return rate (so far)
Duke of York

« Reply #168 on: October 27, 2023, 04:00:13 PM »

With todays update:

Those aren't great numbers at all for Philadelphia. Parker is making a big mistake not campaigning. It would help the judicial candidates but she doesn't seem to be thinking about that.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #169 on: October 27, 2023, 07:48:30 PM »

With todays update:

Those aren't great numbers at all for Philadelphia. Parker is making a big mistake not campaigning. It would help the judicial candidates but she doesn't seem to be thinking about that.

I mean, they're not terrible, but not amazing either. You can still request a mail in ballot until Monday, so I assume by the end of it, we'll be closer to maybe ~110k requested. Which is meh, considering it's good that it's above 2021, but the fact that it's only barely above 2021, yeah not terrific either. It's also possible that as we get more and more out of COVID, that people are reverting to voting on election day versus mail, but it's definitely not a given.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #170 on: October 28, 2023, 07:27:26 AM »

I think Oh's Chinatown support is real. It won't be monolithic but he's been actively running a campaign to cater to the kinds of moderate Democrats (and disproportionately also immigrants) who are upset with crime, sanitation issues (we have an infamously bad litter problem), cost of living, and to a lesser extent the Sixers stadium issue, though unlike in New York there doesn't seem to be a broader backlash to Democrats as a whole. Parker will dominate the black wards and will probably hold the kinds of affluent, historically Republican neighborhoods which last crossed over to vote for Katz in 1999 and 2003, which will be more than enough.
Duke of York

« Reply #171 on: October 28, 2023, 08:30:14 AM »

I think Oh's Chinatown support is real. It won't be monolithic but he's been actively running a campaign to cater to the kinds of moderate Democrats (and disproportionately also immigrants) who are upset with crime, sanitation issues (we have an infamously bad litter problem), cost of living, and to a lesser extent the Sixers stadium issue, though unlike in New York there doesn't seem to be a broader backlash to Democrats as a whole. Parker will dominate the black wards and will probably hold the kinds of affluent, historically Republican neighborhoods which last crossed over to vote for Katz in 1999 and 2003, which will be more than enough.

It really annoys me to hear she's taking the election for granted though. Yes she might be heavily favored but getting the highest turnout possible in the city would help in the judicial races. Parker doesn't seem to care about this.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #172 on: October 28, 2023, 10:52:10 AM »

This election will be interesting to watch.
Of course, I don't expect Oh to win.
There was a debate on KYW news radio a local Philadelphia station, this morning, but I didn't find out about it until afterwards.
Did anyone listen to it, or does anyone out there follow this race?

The last GOP mayor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Samuel

His term ended before I was even born.

Edit: Philadelphia will be electing her 100th mayor this year.

He passed away at least two decades before I was born.

Atlanta has an even longer streak when it comes to non-Republican mayors.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #173 on: October 30, 2023, 10:46:14 AM »

2023: 107,637 requested / 45,218 returned -- 42.0% return rate (so far)

Tomorrow is the last day to request a mail ballot.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #174 on: November 02, 2023, 09:09:35 AM »

Final count is in for requests, there was about 6,400 more this year than 2021 which is good. I'm pretty confident we should be able to surpass that 71.8% return rate this year, too.

2021: 103,223 requested / 74,139 returned — 71.8% return rate
2023: 109,669 requested / 60,683 returned — 55.3% return rate (so far)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies