2023 Philadelphia mayoral election megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:59:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2023 Philadelphia mayoral election megathread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: 2023 Philadelphia mayoral election megathread  (Read 9259 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2023, 10:54:01 PM »

Philadelphia will be electing a new mayor this year after 8 years of Jim Kenney at the helm. The city is overwhelmingly Democratic so the Democratic primary is likely to be the general election, with Republicans most likely putting up a lamb.

Who is the favorite to succeed Kenney? What are their plans?

Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 02:09:04 AM »

It’s a very real possibility that Philadelphia, a city with 8% Asian population, ends up having an election between two Asian American candidates. David Oh is the likely only republican to jump in, whereas Helen Gym has a lot of progressives lined behind her.

Polling wise there’s been just one poll having Jeff Brown out in the lead.

Amen Brown has two endorsements from a former state senator and the former speaker of the PA house, both of whom are convicted felons.

Mike Stack, the Lt. Governor ousted by Fetterman, is running as an independent.
Duke of York

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 05:54:23 PM »

I think Brown is the favorite for now given how far ahead he is in the only poll we have so far.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 06:02:40 PM »

I think Brown is the favorite for now given how far ahead he is in the only poll we have so far.

Eh I don’t know how much we can read into it as it is a straw poll and those are pretty inaccurate but who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 06:13:54 PM »

It's not a poll, it's a straw poll before an event of the African American Chamber of Commerce.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 09:19:12 AM »

Yeah this one is pretty wild, with so many candidates - and good ones at that! I wouldn't put much stock into any poll right now (especially a straw poll) considering only two candidates are up on the air I believe - though I think Gym should be up soon.

I would think that Gym will likely be the frontrunner, but with so many candidates, it's only going to take like 30% of the vote to win this, I think, unless something crazy happens.

Too bad because I also do like Derek Green, Cherelle Parker, and Rebecca Rynhardt.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2023, 09:32:53 AM »

Domb is the only guy I've been seeing on TV.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2023, 12:09:23 PM »

Anyone but Amen or Jeff Brown.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 12:35:37 PM »

Not sure if anyone has been paying attention but there's been a pretty large scandal for Helen Gym. Not sure if it's enough to cost her the nomination, but she appeared at a cocktail party at the Union League, just a few days after going after them for giving an award to DeSantis.

I liked Gym and probably would've voted for her, though there's more than a few candidates I do like. But this does come off really hypocritical of her, and disappointing to say the least
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 02:09:04 PM »

Not sure if anyone has been paying attention but there's been a pretty large scandal for Helen Gym. Not sure if it's enough to cost her the nomination, but she appeared at a cocktail party at the Union League, just a few days after going after them for giving an award to DeSantis.

I liked Gym and probably would've voted for her, though there's more than a few candidates I do like. But this does come off really hypocritical of her, and disappointing to say the least

Ugh I haven't been keeping up with the news but that's disappointing.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 09:56:28 PM »

This seems really minor? Have a hard time believing anyone cares. If people cared about candidates being too performative, i would doubt that they'd be voting for the WFP endorsed candidate to begin with.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2023, 04:50:23 PM »

This seems really minor? Have a hard time believing anyone cares. If people cared about candidates being too performative, i would doubt that they'd be voting for the WFP endorsed candidate to begin with.

True, though in a Democratic primary that is also so large, things like this get attention, and primary voters are more attuned to what's going on. I don't think this is the end of Gym, but it certainly killed any momentum she had.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2023, 09:46:48 AM »

Malcolm Kenyatta? Though I feel like he’s more likely to launch a primary challenge against one of Philly’s house reps
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2023, 09:57:24 AM »

Malcolm Kenyatta? Though I feel like he’s more likely to launch a primary challenge against one of Philly’s house reps

He's running for auditor general.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2023, 10:30:47 AM »

I really like Derek Green and Cherelle Parker as well, I hope they find some momentum as well.

Rynhardt seemed to have a good stint as comptroller, so I'm kinda surprised she hasn't really found any either.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2023, 10:36:58 AM »

I really like Derek Green and Cherelle Parker as well, I hope they find some momentum as well.

Rynhardt seemed to have a good stint as comptroller, so I'm kinda surprised she hasn't really found any either.

She's also the only citywide elected official in the race, you'd think that would give her a leg up but it really hasn't.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2023, 09:51:26 AM »

Cherelle Parker gets a big endorsement. Would love to see her gain some momentum-

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/clout/philadelphia-mayor-cherelle-parker-building-trades-unions-endorse-20230217.html?outputType=default
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2023, 02:19:17 PM »

At-large City Councilmember David Oh is running as a Republican. Probably the best they can hope for minus a billionaire Bloomberg type.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2023, 04:27:06 PM »

It's pretty crazy that we're entering March and we still have yet to have anyone with any sort of real momentum. Jeff Brown may technically be top in the polls purely bc he has spent the most money / has TV ads running. The rest of the field has yet to break out.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2023, 05:30:27 PM »

It's pretty crazy that we're entering March and we still have yet to have anyone with any sort of real momentum. Jeff Brown may technically be top in the polls purely bc he has spent the most money / has TV ads running. The rest of the field has yet to break out.

Gun to my head I think Gym's got the lead because of her ability to (likely, barring Rhynhart or Maria Quiñones-Sánchez or Derek Green surging) mop up white progressives with the rest of the field splitting White moderates, Hispanics, and the multiple blocs of Black voters. SixtySix Wards and that recent Inquirer article provide great breakdowns of the size of each major constituency. That said, major union endorsements help Brown and Parker, and the latter has strong support in higher-turnout Black NW wards. Going to be a super interesting race until the primary.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2023, 07:20:04 PM »

Gun to my head I think Gym's got the lead because of her ability to (likely, barring Rhynhart or Maria Quiñones-Sánchez or Derek Green surging) mop up white progressives with the rest of the field splitting White moderates, Hispanics, and the multiple blocs of Black voters. SixtySix Wards and that recent Inquirer article provide great breakdowns of the size of each major constituency. That said, major union endorsements help Brown and Parker, and the latter has strong support in higher-turnout Black NW wards. Going to be a super interesting race until the primary.

Agreed. I'd like to see Cherelle Parker break out at this point, but I feel like I see absolutely nothing about her in terms of visibility in this race. Then again, I feel like even Gym has been barely visible lately too (and especially Rynhardt)
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2023, 07:34:55 PM »

Agreed. I'd like to see Cherelle Parker break out at this point, but I feel like I see absolutely nothing about her in terms of visibility in this race. Then again, I feel like even Gym has been barely visible lately too (and especially Rynhardt)

Rhynhart is probably most visible on Reddit tbh. I have no doubt she would be a fantastic Mayor but I don't see her pulling ahead of the pack. I think once wards start making endorsements that'll give us a better indication of who's in the lead.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2023, 12:25:03 PM »

Fmr Mayor John Street endorses Rhynhart for Mayor

“You get a sense of the requirements of the job,” Street said. “It has not gotten easier — it has gotten more complex. There is only one person I know who is a candidate for mayor, who worked in two distinct administrations, who was a city controller for five years. She has looked at the operations of every single department for half of a decade.”

“I am going to be in meetings. I’ll go to the wards,” Street said. “I will be helping with public policy. I am going to do whatever I can.”
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2023, 01:10:20 PM »

Thaks for discussing the Ward website.....shows the areas where Republicans do well in Philadelphia, etc.

https://jtannen.shinyapps.io/wardportal/
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2023, 04:09:50 PM »

Thaks for discussing the Ward website.....shows the areas where Republicans do well in Philadelphia, etc.

https://jtannen.shinyapps.io/wardportal/
Packer Park should be your next vacation spot. Racist Italian neighborhood which went 75% for Trump.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies