🇬🇷 Greek politics and elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 06:15:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  🇬🇷 Greek politics and elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26
Author Topic: 🇬🇷 Greek politics and elections  (Read 34617 times)
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: September 17, 2023, 03:44:16 PM »

The results with 90% of the vote in:

Ο Στέφανος Κασσελάκης έλαβε το 45,47% και 51.615 ψήφους
Η Έφη Αχτσιόγλου έλαβε το 36,21% και 41.098 ψήφους
Ο Νίκος Παππάς έλαβε το 8,64% και 9.804 ψήφους
Ο Ευκλείδης Τσακαλώτος έλαβε το 8,4% και 9.533 ψήφους
Ο Στέφανος Τζουμάκας έλαβε το 1,28% και 1.457 ψήφους

2nd round between Kaselakis and Achtsioglou.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #476 on: September 17, 2023, 03:57:48 PM »

If Kasselakis had won from the 1st round a SYRIZA split would have been difficult, now it looks unavoidable.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #477 on: September 17, 2023, 04:20:34 PM »

If Kasselakis had won from the 1st round a SYRIZA split would have been difficult, now it looks unavoidable.

Why would it split?
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #478 on: September 17, 2023, 07:07:20 PM »

Why would it split?

Because he is a complete outsider who's considered to be a frontman and a pupper of specific oligarchs, planted to turn SYRIZA into another version of ND.

Most SYRIZA members are at an uproar against him, but it's their fault that they held a completely open leadership race, where anyone could run and anyone could vote.
So an oligarch sockpuppet took over.

All the other leading SYRIZA fugures have openly said and hinted that they will leave and form a new SYRIZA if Kasselakis wins.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #479 on: September 18, 2023, 05:19:13 AM »

What, they didn't confine their leadership election to actual members??
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #480 on: September 18, 2023, 05:27:46 AM »

It does feel that this little moment could have some pretty drastic consequences down the line someway or another...
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #481 on: September 18, 2023, 05:40:21 AM »

This brings back memories.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #482 on: September 18, 2023, 06:16:38 AM »

The "huge" turnout was actually 140000 voters. That's only half of PASOK's turnout for the November 2021 leadership elections which were held under COVID protocols.

As for the winner, he is just a front for Tsipras who refuses to let control of the party even to his former close associates. The guy is literally SYRIZA's Trump.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #483 on: September 18, 2023, 06:38:36 AM »

Anyone could vote for 2 euros.

And anyone could run provided they had 10% of support of the central committee (30 signatures out of 300).

Kasselakis didn't have the 30 signatures in time, but the other leadership contenders said "no problem we will sign for you and we will ignore the deadline" so he was placed on the ballot.

Then they decided to push the vote by a week, which gave Kasselakis extra time, and they decided to extend closing times, which gave Kasselakis fans more time to vote.

It's not a surprise that SYRIZA is in such dire straits, it was always run by total gullible idiots.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #484 on: September 18, 2023, 06:42:08 AM »
« Edited: September 18, 2023, 06:47:30 AM by oldtimer »

It does feel that this little moment could have some pretty drastic consequences down the line someway or another...
It feels like a real rendition of "The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer".

The Oligarchs needed to convince only 0.75% of registered voters through an advertising blitz to install random "Sooty the Sockpuppet" as leader of a major party in just 3 weeks.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #485 on: September 18, 2023, 06:45:00 AM »
« Edited: September 18, 2023, 06:50:51 AM by Punxsutawney Phil »

The Oligarchs needed to convince only 0.75% of registered voters through an advertising blitz to install random "Sooty the Sockpuppet" as leader of a major party in just 3 weeks.

Thanks, I was not aware of this movie! I need to watch it at some point.
And, uh, I guess this does show the power of money especially when it is effectively unopposed. What an utter mess. Played like a fiddle...or a harp you see on those old  illustrations by some of the Greek gods.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #486 on: September 18, 2023, 06:58:44 AM »

Thanks, I was not aware of this movie! I need to watch it at some point.
And, uh, I guess this does show the power of money especially when it is effectively unopposed. What an utter mess. Played like a fiddle...or a harp you see on those old  illustrations by some of the Greek gods.

If SYRIZA had not actually bent it's rules for Kasselakis to be on the ballot, and if they had confined voting to members only, then it wouldn't have been vulnerable to outside hostile takeover.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #487 on: September 18, 2023, 04:25:25 PM »

Final results of the Syriza 1st round leadership ballot:

A runoff will be held next sunday, 24 September, between Kasselakis and Achtsioglou.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #488 on: September 18, 2023, 05:26:59 PM »

I’m still confused about Kasselakis, is he just a shipping puppet - or is he also Tsipras’s guy? The media all says the latter but posters here seem to disagree.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #489 on: September 18, 2023, 05:44:42 PM »

I’m still confused about Kasselakis, is he just a shipping puppet - or is he also Tsipras’s guy? The media all says the latter but posters here seem to disagree.

All evidence points to him being a Tsipras puppet who will keep the seat warm for his master and force the anti-Tsipras faction (e.g. the ideologues who want to move the party back to the (far) left where it was pre-2015) to leave.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #490 on: September 18, 2023, 11:43:19 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2023, 11:57:05 PM by justfollowingtheelections »

Tzanakopoulos, who is Achtsioglou's partner is/was Tsipras' lawyer and right hand man while he was Prime Minister.  And Achtsioglou owes her political career to Tsipras.  
I get it that PASOK supporters hate Tsipras and SYRIZA, but some of the comments here are clearly delusional.

Also, I'm not so sure Kaselakis will win.  Achtsioglou will get the vast majority of Tsakalotos' supporters, and the small % of Tzoumakas' supporters.  There are apparently also many SYRIZA members who didn't vote yesterday, but who are eligible to vote in the 2nd round, who would most likely support Achtsioglou if they decide to vote.  I really hope she wins for the good of the party and the country.

I am convinced however that Greek voters are some of the most superficial in the world.  After Mitsotakis and now Kaselakis I've come to the conclusion that all you need to win elections is be handsome and speak good English.  It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #491 on: September 19, 2023, 01:12:41 AM »

Tzanakopoulos, who is Achtsioglou's partner is/was Tsipras' lawyer and right hand man while he was Prime Minister.  And Achtsioglou owes her political career to Tsipras.  
I get it that PASOK supporters hate Tsipras and SYRIZA, but some of the comments here are clearly delusional.

Also, I'm not so sure Kaselakis will win.  Achtsioglou will get the vast majority of Tsakalotos' supporters, and the small % of Tzoumakas' supporters.  There are apparently also many SYRIZA members who didn't vote yesterday, but who are eligible to vote in the 2nd round, who would most likely support Achtsioglou if they decide to vote.  I really hope she wins for the good of the party and the country.

I am convinced however that Greek voters are some of the most superficial in the world.  After Mitsotakis and now Kaselakis I've come to the conclusion that all you need to win elections is be handsome and speak good English.  It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

What a load of BS.

Tzanakopoulos was a close associate of Tsipras but a rift has developed between them the last couple of years because the latter wanted to open the gates of the party to former PASOK members while the former vehemently disagreed and wanted to keep SYRIZA a predominantly left-wing party.

Achtsioglou has benefited from her looks as much as Kaselakis did. And Kaselakis' sexuality attracted a lot of negative publicity and ridicule from many corners of our society (even liberal ones).

Theoretically Acthsioglou can win but right now all the momentum is with Kaselakis who is treated like a winner by the media. And as we know the crowd always goes with the winner.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #492 on: September 19, 2023, 03:38:41 AM »

All evidence points to him being a Tsipras puppet who will keep the seat warm for his master and force the anti-Tsipras faction (e.g. the ideologues who want to move the party back to the (far) left where it was pre-2015) to leave.

All evidence points to Shipping Oligarchs, not Tsipras:

The torrents of money, the huge promotion from all the media , the Advertising Agencies.

It requires people who control the greek media and have very deep pockets and functional brains, things that Tsipras never had.

Also Kasselakis's strong financial and family links to the murky world of Greek Shipping.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #493 on: September 19, 2023, 03:47:22 AM »

Follow the Money.

Tsipras doesn't have any, not the kinds of money that was spent in 3 weeks to promote Kasselakis.

Only Oligarchs can afford it, and the Shipping Oligarchs control all of the main Greek media who promoted him, and Kasselakis has well documented links to them.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #494 on: September 19, 2023, 04:24:32 AM »

Kasselakis will win.

But Mitsotakis cannot be called handsome, he was appointed because his father was PM.

And althought Greeks have aquired a bad reputation, Kasselakis only needed 0.75% of them to be complete morons.

Look at how many Austrians voted for Sebastian Kurtz, so idiocy is a relative thing unrelated to intelligence (someone can be a total idiot outside his area of expertise).
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #495 on: September 19, 2023, 05:29:32 AM »

One doesn't preclude the other.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #496 on: September 19, 2023, 02:00:57 PM »

And how exactly is Tsipras going to return to the leadership of SYRIZA if Kasselakis won't resign?

Kasselakis blocks him, since he's younger, smarter, more good looking, with big money backing him.

If rumours where true, Tsipras was planning a comeback after SYRIZA's dreadfull local and euroelection results, now he can't.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #497 on: September 20, 2023, 07:41:12 AM »

And how exactly is Tsipras going to return to the leadership of SYRIZA if Kasselakis won't resign?

Kasselakis blocks him, since he's younger, smarter, more good looking, with big money backing him.

If rumours where true, Tsipras was planning a comeback after SYRIZA's dreadfull local and euroelection results, now he can't.

Tsipras isn't going to come back tomorrow or in a week. Maybe he doesn't want to come back at all, officially. Maybe he is content to pull the strings from behind the scenes.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #498 on: September 20, 2023, 09:18:55 AM »

Well, congratulations on making the recent SPÖ leadership poll look well-run in comparison.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #499 on: September 24, 2023, 02:52:00 PM »

And Kasselakis won the 2nd round by around 55-45 it seems.
SYRIZA will split.

Greece does not have a center-left party of any significant size anymore, there will be a right wing shift.

Already Mitsotakis has put gay marriage on hold, in preperation of the reaction against Kasselakis.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies