Do you believe Joseph Stalin should be celebrated?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:49:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Do you believe Joseph Stalin should be celebrated?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Yes or no?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Do you believe Joseph Stalin should be celebrated?  (Read 935 times)
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2023, 05:15:59 PM »

Touchy subject. Remembering world war 2 is a major part of Russian culture (especially recently under Putin, as part of his effort to militarize Russian society). One element of this is nostalgia for Stalin's leadership of the Soviet Union.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 05:59:25 PM »

Not a touchy subject for most people outside deep left-wing circles, to which the answer is a clear no. Stalin having approved the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact should make it clear it's stupid to equate the Soviet Union's triumph over Nazi Germany with him.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 06:00:34 PM »

No, any generic leader could have led the USSR to victory in WWII. You could say this about the US as well, but Roosevelt never made idiotic paranoid decisions like purging the Army of many of its officers in the years preceding a major war everyone saw coming as Germany remilitarized.

Everything else he did was either evil or had serious negative complications. For example, sure he industrialized the USSR, but he did it in a way that unnecessarily cost many lives simply in order to do it as fast as possible. His obsession with heavy industry was kind of weird tbh.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 06:42:03 PM »

Stalin signed Molotov-Ribbentrop and wasn't going to fight the Nazis until he got invaded. He also purged much of the military meaning the Soviets were weakened. This probably lengthened the war substantially.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 07:57:22 PM »

I don't think it's a touchy subject, Stalin is one of the worst monsters in history and deserves to be vilified just as much as Hitler.  The main reason he's not is that people outside of Eastern Europe and Central Asia aren't familiar with the various ethnic groups he mass-murdered, just like they're not familiar with many of the non-Jewish ethnic groups who received the same treatment from Hitler.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 08:22:50 PM »

Just to be clear, since now 2 separate posts have mentioned it, I don't think it is a touchy subject either. I just said that to copy the wording SirWoodbury used in the other, uh, companion poll in order to make a point about that other poll (and really, about pro-Putin Republicans).
LBJer
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 08:25:47 PM »

I didn't vote in the poll.  My honest answer is that people should celebrate who they want to celebrate.  While Stalin was obviously an extremely ruthless individual, I can see how some in Russia, Georgia, and to a lesser extent other former Soviet republics would want to celebrate him.  As far as official commemorations and such--I'll leave that to the countries mentioned to decide.  
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 08:35:24 PM »

Stalin did way more good, and way more bad, to the world than Stephen Bandera did.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2023, 08:51:24 PM »

no, he was a COMMIE
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2023, 02:56:15 AM »

I don't have any concrete opinions on celebrating specific individuals, but I do think we need to be objective about them - by pointing out the good, the bad, and the neutral things about them as they actually are and not blow any of these things out of proportion. For Stalin, we can point out his contributions to the development of the Soviet state as well as his totalitarian rule and associated death toll.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2023, 08:08:23 AM »

Even if he did do good things, the bad is bad enough that he shouldn't be "celebrated" in any fashion.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2023, 05:59:20 PM »

Some people consider him worse than Hitler, so no.

The Russian people could have been so much more with different leadership.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2023, 07:39:14 PM »

No, of course not. The Soviet Union helped defeat the Nazis largely in spite of Stalin's leadership, not because of it.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2023, 01:13:24 AM »

Demetris Christofias was a commie too, and yet a very different person than Stalin.
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2023, 04:25:04 AM »

Obviously Americans will not, and among Russians you see a very mixed reputation too, because despite the historic accomplishment of defeating the Germans, the negative aspects to his rule are obvious and potent to modern Russians.

I don't think so, obviously, but the general confidence Americans might have to say "no" comes from being removed from the relevance of Stalin's actions. Maybe being distant from a subject can make one more objective about it, but when the potential cost is the entire existence of your people, then, well, that also factors into it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2023, 05:44:40 AM »

yes, as a cautionary tale
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2023, 03:33:59 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2023, 03:39:21 PM by Senator Laki »

USSR, yes
Stalin, absolutely not.

Touchy subject. Remembering world war 2 is a major part of Russian culture (especially recently under Putin, as part of his effort to militarize Russian society). One element of this is nostalgia for Stalin's leadership of the Soviet Union.

USSR did win WW2 not because of Stalin, but despite Stalin.

Yes, in Russian culture the USSR leaders they have nostalghia for are the wrong ones, while the good ones are despised today (the more ideological Lenin, the more pragmatic Khruschnev, the reformer who tried everything to save a lost empire Gorbachev but is unrightfully blamed for its fall and should be credited for a relatively peaceful collapse, and not a violent one).

Russian communists today are fake communists. And it's more of nazism with communist characteristics or Russian culture/USSR nostalghia embedded in it.

While i'm more of a Eurocom, as opposed to them.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies