Could Casey DeSantis become a future Presidential candidate in her own right?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:36:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Could Casey DeSantis become a future Presidential candidate in her own right?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could Casey DeSantis become a future Presidential candidate in her own right?  (Read 799 times)
World Mapping
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 18, 2023, 01:21:09 PM »
« edited: January 18, 2023, 01:26:28 PM by World Mapping »

I've heard a hypothetical Casey DeSantis run for President in the future talked about someplace on this form.

Is it in fact possible that Casey DeSantis one day runs for President in her own right? She has quite a bit in common with Hillary Clinton; both of them were very involved in their husbands' political campaigns, with Hillary Clinton eventually running for President in her own right in 2016.
World Mapping
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 01:24:56 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2023, 01:31:22 PM by World Mapping »

Casey DeSantis
---------------------------------------------------
49th President of the United States
01/20/2041 - Incumbent (as of 2043)

Vice President: Josh Hawley
Predecessor: Jon Ossoff
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
United States Senator from Florida
01/03/2036 - 01/17/2041

Predecessor: Rick Scott
Successor: Anna Paulina Luna
First Lady of the United States
01/20/2025 - 01/20/2029

President: Ron DeSantis
Predecessor: Jill Biden
Successor: Alisha Kramer
First Lady of Florida
01/03/2018 - 01/13/2025

Governor: Ron DeSantis
Predecessor: Ann Scott
Successor: Adrian Nuņez (as First Gentleman)
---------------------------------------------------
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 07:46:34 PM »

Don't get ahead of yourself. Her husband would have to win and be seen as a success first, which is possible but not guaranteed.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 02:16:22 PM »

Don't get ahead of yourself. Her husband would have to win and be seen as a success first, which is possible but not guaranteed.
I don't think either of these things are true. First Lady of Florida to Florida elected office to national presidential contender isn't an insane path even if her husband never becomes president, even if it's not particularly likely. And in the event where DeSantis becomes president and isn't viewed as a success, HW was a one-termer who left office with pretty bad approval ratings, and his party's next president was his son. I don't see any reason to expect either scenario to ever happen, but it really isn't true that her husband's political success is a precondition to her's, if she wants to go into politics and is good at it (two things I have no idea if they're true, I don't know anything about her, I'm being nitpicky for the sake of being nitpicky here)
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 04:26:14 PM »

I don't think either of these things are true. First Lady of Florida to Florida elected office to national presidential contender isn't an insane path even if her husband never becomes president, even if it's not particularly likely. And in the event where DeSantis becomes president and isn't viewed as a success, HW was a one-termer who left office with pretty bad approval ratings, and his party's next president was his son. I don't see any reason to expect either scenario to ever happen, but it really isn't true that her husband's political success is a precondition to her's, if she wants to go into politics and is good at it (two things I have no idea if they're true, I don't know anything about her, I'm being nitpicky for the sake of being nitpicky here)

Okay you might be technically right on the first point, I suppose she could begin her own political career indecent of her husband and get elected president. It's unlikely but it's possible.

But I would disagree on the second point. Even if Casey were to start her own political career, she would still be known for her association with Ron and if he damages the DeSantis name it would damage her too. You bring up the Bush family, but Jr. was the member of that family that left office with the worse approval rating and it's his legacy that ensured Jeb or any other Bush will never be president.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 05:05:48 AM »

It's possible. She's an active first lady of Florida with media experience, and friends in high places.

She would need some kind of launching pad to a White House run, although I could easily see her going the conservative media route if there isn't an opening for statewide office.

There are a lot of things that could go wrong for her. Her husband could lose a primary (which didn't prevent Elizabeth Dole from trying), the right opening may not materialize, she may lose an election or her husband may become politically toxic.

But there are several paths for it.
- The traditional HRC path is that Ron gets elected President in 2024, reelected in 2028, and Casey runs for office after, perhaps Rubio's Senate seat in 2034 (perhaps after he's given a cabinet post and replaced with a seatwarmer).
- If Ron becomes President and loses reelection, she could try to run for Governor in 2030.
- A different Republican President can appoint her to the cabinet as part of an effort at unity.
- If Ron loses a primary or presidential race, she could run for Congress or something.
- When Ron's tenure in office ends, she could be in demand as a media commentator. Her media experience can make her a less crazy Kari Lake, and I could imagine a media environment in which a former Florida first lady with a TV show on Fox could be seen as a presidential contender.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies