DeSantis warns NHL to Remove ‘Discriminatory Prohibitions’ from Minority-Only Hockey Summit
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 05:21:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DeSantis warns NHL to Remove ‘Discriminatory Prohibitions’ from Minority-Only Hockey Summit
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: DeSantis warns NHL to Remove ‘Discriminatory Prohibitions’ from Minority-Only Hockey Summit  (Read 3607 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2023, 03:44:24 PM »

If it's that big of a problem just have a hiring fair for everyone and don't hire most of the white guys.

So... you support affirmative action now?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2023, 04:40:34 PM »

If it's that big of a problem just have a hiring fair for everyone and don't hire most of the white guys.

Not really, but my point is the NHL could still accomplish their goal of diversifying the league without holding segregated events.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2023, 04:42:10 PM »

If it's that big of a problem just have a hiring fair for everyone and don't hire most of the white guys. Doing it this way is needlessly inflammatory and possibly illegal.

It's only "needlessly inflammatory" because Republican politicians like DeSantis make a choice to demagogue it. They don't get a heckler's veto. Companies have recruiting events focused on minorities all the time. I doubt they would literally stop a cis het non-veteran white man from coming in, but I don't know what value it would have for them.

Companies, sports leagues, other institutions all have non-diverse workforces because some people have access to power and connections and gatekeep against others, and other people don't. The answer is to actively seek out candidates and build a pipeline for them; they won't decide to approach an institution like this out of the blue. People who work in HR and Corporate Strategy have figured this out, given it more thought than Internet randos who are still arguing about why there ought to be a White History Month. It sounds like you see this lack of diversity as less of a problem than white people being given access and privilege everywhere we go, even though that doesn't exist for minorities. I can't agree with your prioritization.

No, it's inflammatory because it excludes people from the event based on race. Instead of taking access and privilege away from white people, more access and privilege should be given to minorites. Like I said, the NHL could still just as easily accomplish this without banning white men from the summit.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2023, 04:45:56 PM »

Not really, but my point is the NHL could still accomplish their goal of diversifying the league without holding segregated events.

It is not segregation, that's such a dumb way of looking at this.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2023, 04:50:26 PM »

It is by definition segregation. It's not Jim Crow or apartheid, but it is segregation under the banner of DEI, just like "affinity groups."
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2023, 04:51:22 PM »

It is by definition segregation. It's not Jim Crow or apartheid, but it is segregation under the banner of DEI.

Do you think that the Congressional Black Caucus is segregation?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2023, 04:54:05 PM »

It is by definition segregation. It's not Jim Crow or apartheid, but it is segregation under the banner of DEI.

Yes. Steve Cohen was denied membership despite representing one of the most heavily Black districts in the country. I don't necessarily advocate for it to not exist but the CBC is unequivocally a segregated body.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2023, 06:21:37 PM »

Yes. Steve Cohen was denied membership despite representing one of the most heavily Black districts in the country. I don't necessarily advocate for it to not exist but the CBC is unequivocally a segregated body.
Um, Steve Cohen isn't Black, so why would he be in the Congressional Black Caucus. Representing a majority-Black district doesn't make him Black lol.

Lauren Underwood represents a majority-White district. Does that make her White? No. She can't suddenly start checking "White" on forms that ask for racial/ethnic identification.

Also, not all "segregation" is the equivalent of Jim Crow. That's a false equivalence.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2023, 06:29:15 PM »

Um, Steve Cohen isn't Black, so why would he be in the Congressional Black Caucus. Representing a majority-Black district doesn't make him Black lol.

Lauren Underwood represents a majority-White district. Does that make her White? No. She can't suddenly start checking "White" on forms that ask for racial/ethnic identification.

Also, not all "segregation" is the equivalent of Jim Crow. That's a false equivalence.

I literally said it wasn't the same as Jim Crow, but it is still segregation. What makes you think it isn't? Or do you think segregation is a good thing sometimes? If so that's fine and that's your opinion, but don't dance around your true views. Let them out.

And if the purpose of the CBC is to advocate for the Black community, keeping out the congressman who represents hundreds of thousands of Black people in Memphis but letting in the congresswoman who represents like 200 in Naperville makes no sense.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2023, 06:32:57 PM »

How? Yet again I ask how they can get more minority applicants and hires without specifically reaching out to them? It's not like they were actively and intentionally excluding them in recent years, so the status quo wasn't working. Black applicants were already welcome, but "just encourage everyone to apply!" wasn't enough to actually get them.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2023, 06:33:25 PM »

How? Yet again I ask how they can get more minority applicants and hires without specifically reaching out to them? It's not like they were actively and intentionally excluding them in recent years, so the status quo wasn't working. Black applicants were already welcome, but "just encourage everyone to apply!" wasn't enough to actually get them.

Then maybe not very many minorities are interested in hockey.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2023, 06:35:12 PM »

That's what the NHL is trying to change!
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2023, 06:42:00 PM »

This is an absolutely absurd statement to make.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2023, 06:49:18 PM »

This is an absolutely absurd statement to make.

The CBC only allows Black people to become members. People of other races are excluded. There may not be any ill will behind this, but membership in the caucus is determined solely by race.

How is that not segregation?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2023, 06:51:25 PM »

Thank you for acknowledging that the CBC is segregated on the basis of race. I can see from your post that you are fine with racial segregation, but hey at least you acknowledged that the CBC is per se racist.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2023, 07:05:26 PM »

Thank you for acknowledging that the CBC is segregated on the basis of race. I can see from your post that you are fine with racial segregation, but hey at least you acknowledged that the CBC is per se racist.

Why do you expect anyone to believe that you're not a white nationalist when you say stuff like this?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2023, 08:06:13 PM »

I literally said it wasn't the same as Jim Crow, but it is still segregation. What makes you think it isn't? Or do you think segregation is a good thing sometimes? If so that's fine and that's your opinion, but don't dance around your true views. Let them out.

And if the purpose of the CBC is to advocate for the Black community, keeping out the congressman who represents hundreds of thousands of Black people in Memphis but letting in the congresswoman who represents like 200 in Naperville makes no sense.
Black people make up the Black community, so why would a non-Black person be allowed in the CBC? That is what makes no sense.

No sh*t, of course, the CBC is "segregated" based on race/ethnicity. So is the Congressional Hispanic Caucus and so is the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus. That's entire point of those caucuses, they are meant to be a social club and an advocacy group for their respect race/ethnicity.

There is no Congressional "White" Caucus because the overwhelming majority of Congress members have been White both historically and presently.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2023, 08:37:07 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2023, 08:42:46 PM by Horus »

Black people make up the Black community, so why would a non-Black person be allowed in the CBC? That is what makes no sense.

Because the purpose of the CBC is to advocate for Black America. If a white member is from an overwhelmingly Black district it would be more helpful to their constituents if they were allowed in the caucus to advocate for the people in their district.

Also you ignored the first part of my post. Why? If you think it's okay for some races to segregate sometimes, that's your opinion. Why put segregation in scare quotes?  You think there should be "social clubs" for certain ethnicities.

Are you okay with white only country clubs? Very slippery slope here.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2023, 08:41:45 PM »

No sh*t, of course, the CBC is "segregated" based on race/ethnicity. So is the Congressional Hispanic Caucus and so is the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus. That's entire point of those caucuses, they are meant to be a social club and an advocacy group for their respect race/ethnicity.

There is no Congressional "White" Caucus because the overwhelming majority of Congress members have been White both historically and presently.
Whites have always been the majority of this country in general. A "White Caucus" would be kinda useless at best.
And White America has always had a very fractured political scene too, with practically NO unifying issues either. This would very probably continue even if Whites became a minority of the overall country.
What would be the point of a White caucus? So Mark Pocan and Marjorie Taylor Greene could yell at each other?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2023, 08:43:52 PM »

Or do you think segregation is a good thing sometimes? If so that's fine and that's your opinion, but don't dance around your true views. Let them out.

We could ask you the same thing:

I don't necessarily advocate for it to not exist but the CBC is unequivocally a segregated body.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2023, 08:46:01 PM »

That's what the NHL is trying to change!

There are about 1,000 better ways to do this than hosting segregated hiring events. Put up ads in minority neighborhoods. Promote hockey in mostly non white schools. Countless ways to increase minority interest in hockey without promoting segregation.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2023, 08:51:26 PM »

So what are you referring to when you refer to the "Black Community"?

Are you referring to a predominantly black section of an urban area?  In these areas reside persons who are not black, including white people, white and black Hispanic people, and bi-racial people, including children being raised by a white parent.  

Or are you referring to people who identify as "black" in general, regardless of where they live?

I'm not denying that Black Folks in America experience forms of discrimination that are unique to them.  They do, they still do, and it's not wrong for people to expect their elected officials to remedy that.  But many of the problems the Black Folks experience are problems that are experienced by the urban poor in general, and that includes the non-Black urban poor..  Steve Cohen represents such a constituency.  He represents them well by the standards of Democratic liberals, and he keeps getting reelected by a constituency that would dump him for a Black candidate if they chose to.  To the extent that he is representing the same sort of folks most of the other CBC reps represent, why should he be denied CBC membership when he represents much of Tennessee's "black community" and shares the ideals of the CBC?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2023, 08:56:53 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2023, 09:02:24 PM by ηєω ƒяσηтιєя »

Because the purpose of the CBC is to advocate for Black America. If a white member is from an overwhelmingly Black district it would be more helpful to their constituents if they were allowed in the caucus to advocate for the people in their district.

Also you ignored the first part of my post. Why? If you think it's okay for some races to segregate sometimes, that's your opinion. Why put segregation in scare quotes?  You think there should be "social clubs" for certain ethnicities.

Congress =/= a country club. Also, country clubs can legally discriminate based on race/ethnicity.

Also, I put segregation in quotes because the CBC is not comparable to the legal structure that is segregation (i.e. Jim Crow, Apartheid, etc).

Whites have always been the majority of this country in general. A "White Caucus" would be kinda useless at best.
And White America has always had a very fractured political scene too, with practically NO unifying issues either. This would very probably continue even if Whites became a minority of the overall country.
What would be the point of a White caucus? So Mark Pocan and Marjorie Taylor Greene could yell at each other?
Yeah, that was the point of my statement. A Congressional "White" Caucus would be unnecessary.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2023, 09:00:34 PM »

Congress =/= a country club. Also, country clubs can legally discriminate based on race/ethnicity.

Also, I put segregation is quotes because the CBC is not comparable to the legal structure that is segregation (i.e. Jim Crow, Apartheid, etc).

That's terrible. Are you okay with that?

And there may not be an "underlying legal structure" but it is still segregation all the same. It might be more socially acceptable and far less evil than Jim Crow but it is still built on the exclusion of other races. That is segregation, by definition. Whether you wish it was not.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: January 15, 2023, 09:07:25 PM »

There are about 1,000 better ways to do this than hosting segregated hiring events. Put up ads in minority neighborhoods. Promote hockey in mostly non white schools. Countless ways to increase minority interest in hockey without promoting segregation.
The NHL does those things.

That's terrible. Are you okay with that?

And there may not be an "underlying legal structure" but it is still segregation all the same. It might be more socially acceptable and far less evil than Jim Crow but it is still built on the exclusion of other races. That is segregation, by definition. Whether you wish it was not.
Human beings are tribalistic. Most humans tend to prefer to socialize and be around people who are similar to us. Most humans self-segregate everyday (not just based on race but plenty of other factors).

There's nothing wrong with that. Segregation only becomes wrong when it is legally mandated and if people are actively hostile towards others who are members of a different group.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies