An incumbent president never participated in a primary debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:02:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  An incumbent president never participated in a primary debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: An incumbent president never participated in a primary debate  (Read 559 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2023, 03:24:10 PM »

Never did an incumbent president participate in a primary debate. Do you think there's a chance this will ever or in the median future happen? To be fair, most presidents seeking reelection didn't face serious competition. In the age of TV debates, only Ford and Bush 41. I think it would definitely require a challenger that is strong enough to force a sitting president to a debate. Perhaps it's more likely such as president would be an unelected one who just came to office via succession like Ford.

Thoughts?
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 09:06:42 PM »

Participating in a primary debate gives legitimacy to the opposition and offers virtually no benefit. The last thing you want as an incumbent is your primary opponents to be considered candidates with a shot, and it also allows the potential for a gaffe.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 10:32:47 PM »

The Republicans have pulled out of the organization that organizes general-election debates, and it feels like, as a society, we've probably passed peak presidential debate, which was reached sometime in the 2010s.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 01:03:43 AM »

Never did an incumbent president participate in a primary debate. Do you think there's a chance this will ever or in the median future happen? To be fair, most presidents seeking reelection didn't face serious competition. In the age of TV debates, only Ford and Bush 41.

Uh...the primary challenge to Carter was more serious than the one to Bush 41. In fact, I would say Bush 41 is the least likely of the three to have engaged in a primary debate as Buchanan didn't have any shot at the nomination or even any of winning a single primary.

I think an incumbent president facing a primary challenge may well have to debate...there's just more pressure than there used to be, but then again, an incumbent president would actually have to face a serious primary challenge...something that hasn't happened in awhile.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 02:06:34 PM »

Never did an incumbent president participate in a primary debate. Do you think there's a chance this will ever or in the median future happen? To be fair, most presidents seeking reelection didn't face serious competition. In the age of TV debates, only Ford and Bush 41.

Uh...the primary challenge to Carter was more serious than the one to Bush 41. In fact, I would say Bush 41 is the least likely of the three to have engaged in a primary debate as Buchanan didn't have any shot at the nomination or even any of winning a single primary.

I think an incumbent president facing a primary challenge may well have to debate...there's just more pressure than there used to be, but then again, an incumbent president would actually have to face a serious primary challenge...something that hasn't happened in awhile.

I already forgot about Carter being seriously challenged. I certainly agree with the post.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2023, 03:59:15 PM »

Keep in mind until 1984 incumbent presidents who led in the polls didn’t debate their general election opponents either . Ford and Carter did cause they were behind or in a tight race but incumbents debating was never the norm till 1984.

Since then the only primary challenge that wasn’t a complete joke was Buchanan 1992 and even he didn’t have a chance of really winning a single primary contest .

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies