LGC 11.35 — Lincoln Transportation Improvement Act — PASSED
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:35:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LGC 11.35 — Lincoln Transportation Improvement Act — PASSED
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LGC 11.35 — Lincoln Transportation Improvement Act — PASSED  (Read 461 times)
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2023, 09:34:03 PM »
« edited: January 23, 2023, 06:38:55 PM by LGC Speaker ZMUN M441 »

The Lincoln Transportation Improvement Act

Section I. This bill will be cited as the Lincoln Transportation Improvement Act.

Section II. Improving transportation access
A. Under this plan, no community will be greater than 10 miles away from any form of public transportation, whether it be a bus, train, or subway line.
B. More funds to ensure that rural communities have access to public transportation
C. Will provide more funding to ensure high quality, rail service similar to Europe.

Section III. Implementation
Cities and towns have until no later than January 1, 2025 to implement public transportation or  to expand public transportation services from an existing provider (etc. the MBTA).
The planning and construction of the railway system will begin immediately and will be expected to be completed no later than January 1, 2038.

Occupying: Slot 5 of 10
Sponsor: Christian Man
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 12:09:00 PM »

Motioning for a final vote.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 11:41:24 AM »

Speaker ZMUN, I respectfully object to the final vote proceeding.

I request additional time be administered for discussion and debate.

Any bill providing that additional funds be spent on a regional project should offer a ballpark figure to the effect of $1M, $10M, etc. Furthermore, Section II-C is irrelevant as Lincoln does currently utilize a quality rail service in LincolnRail. Again, if more funding is to be dedicated to expanding LincolnRail, we should offer a general figure to how much will be spent.

Last, passing this bill as-is offers communities a small, two-year window to, potentially, dramatically alter their public infrastructure. If this timetable is left in the bill, I am afraid I will be forced to vote against passage.
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 03:35:30 PM »

A vote on the objection has been initiated. Vote AYE to proceed to a final vote, and NAY to delay it for debate.

Nay
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 04:55:01 PM »

Aye
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 08:41:27 PM »

Aye
nerd73
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -7.83

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 09:07:22 PM »

Nay
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2023, 10:07:47 PM »

Nay
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2023, 12:24:29 AM »

The final vote has been delayed.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2023, 09:15:22 PM »

I offer the following amendment.

Section I. Title

1. This bill will be cited as the Lincoln Transportation Improvement Act.

Section II. Improving Transportation Access

1. The Lincoln Department of Transportation and Infrastructure shall be tasked with a public transit improvement directive.

a. The scope of this directive shall be the improvement of LincolnBus and LincolnRail services.
i. Improvements shall include, but are not limited to, the construction and integration of new vehicles, the hiring of public transit officials, bus and rail route extension, bus and rail route implementation, construction and integration of terminals and bus stops, and the development of new or upgraded transport technology.

b. This directive must investigate access to public transportation and furthermore seek to ensure no community within Lincoln is greater than 10 miles from public transportation.

c. Department officials must report their findings and proposals to the Governor of Lincoln by no later than January 1st, 2024.
i. At this time, the Governor of Lincoln may submit to the Lincoln General Court a final proposal for consideration.

A. Under this plan, no community will be greater than 10 miles away from any form of public transportation, whether it be a bus, train, or subway line.
B. More funds to ensure that rural communities have access to public transportation
C. Will provide more funding to ensure high quality, rail service similar to Europe.

1. This legislation shall take effect immediately.

Cities and towns have until no later than January 1, 2025 to implement public transportation or  to expand public transportation services from an existing provider (etc. the MBTA).
The planning and construction of the railway system will begin immediately and will be expected to be completed no later than January 1, 2038.

I have designed this as a general framework to guide the Dept. of T&I to accomplish the goals of the original bill.
This keeps in mind the existing public transit options, LincolnBus and LincolnRail, the latter being our high-speed rail system.
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2023, 03:41:40 PM »

I offer the following amendment.

Section I. Title

1. This bill will be cited as the Lincoln Transportation Improvement Act.

Section II. Improving Transportation Access

1. The Lincoln Department of Transportation and Infrastructure shall be tasked with a public transit improvement directive.

a. The scope of this directive shall be the improvement of LincolnBus and LincolnRail services.
i. Improvements shall include, but are not limited to, the construction and integration of new vehicles, the hiring of public transit officials, bus and rail route extension, bus and rail route implementation, construction and integration of terminals and bus stops, and the development of new or upgraded transport technology.

b. This directive must investigate access to public transportation and furthermore seek to ensure no community within Lincoln is greater than 10 miles from public transportation.

c. Department officials must report their findings and proposals to the Governor of Lincoln by no later than January 1st, 2024.
i. At this time, the Governor of Lincoln may submit to the Lincoln General Court a final proposal for consideration.

1. This legislation shall take effect immediately.

I have designed this as a general framework to guide the Dept. of T&I to accomplish the goals of the original bill.
This keeps in mind the existing public transit options, LincolnBus and LincolnRail, the latter being our high-speed rail system.

Excellent, I guess I  did not think about proposals when drafting this initially but I support
the modifications. Some small concerns I have about the construction of new railways would be that it could lead to mass losses of private property and environmental destruction, for that reason I'd prefer to use current or restore abandoned railways but I am willing to overlook that if it'll lead to a better solution.
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2023, 11:01:19 PM »

The Pyro amendment is adopted.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2023, 11:28:25 AM »

It should be noted that funds for public transportation improvement have already been made available to local governments through the Grants for Public Transportation act.
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2023, 05:09:02 PM »

Motioning for a final vote.
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2023, 05:26:50 PM »

A final vote on this bill has been initiated.

Aye
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2023, 09:48:40 AM »

Aye
Pyro