118th House Opening Sessions Thread- McCarthy elected Spkr. 216-212, 6 Present; Rules Passed 220-213
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 01:01:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  118th House Opening Sessions Thread- McCarthy elected Spkr. 216-212, 6 Present; Rules Passed 220-213
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 168
Author Topic: 118th House Opening Sessions Thread- McCarthy elected Spkr. 216-212, 6 Present; Rules Passed 220-213  (Read 67006 times)
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: January 03, 2023, 05:02:16 PM »

By this time tomorrow, will speaker.gov still have Nancy Pelosi's name at the top? Amusing that it is still up being that she hasn't technically been speaker for around five hours now. Ha!
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #651 on: January 03, 2023, 05:02:32 PM »

Honestly I can see Jeffries winning it at this point. I don’t know what’s gonna happen, it’s chaos and a fascinating watch, but horrible government

Imho it's very possible Jeffries has a better shot than McCarthy at this point, lmao. At the very least it's likelier that some compromise moderate is chosen than McCarthy being chosen. The Jordanites aren't budging, and they're growing in number.

Record-breaking 134th ballot, here we come!

My jaw dropped when I heard about that factoid on C-SPAN. I mean, sure, ten ballots, twenty ballots, even thirty or fifty - but literally 133? Lmao.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #652 on: January 03, 2023, 05:03:26 PM »

Honestly I can see Jeffries winning it at this point. I don’t know what’s gonna happen, it’s chaos and a fascinating watch, but horrible government

I don't think that's going to happen. There no actual moderate Republicans left.

Yeah, when you can't even get someone like Fitzpatrick (I don't think), then unfortunately there's no chance here. None of them will budge.

Fitzpatrick is gonna lose with Bob Casey on the ballot and Kean Jr if he doesn't switch his vote he was safe in 22 not so in 24
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #653 on: January 03, 2023, 05:03:30 PM »

I don't think that's going to happen. There no actual moderate Republicans left.

There are however parochial R's who don't like seeing their stars fall and shoved aside in favor of a different clique. There are also those who are concerned about reelection in their Biden seats. Arguably, those two factors are more powerful than ideology right now.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #654 on: January 03, 2023, 05:03:57 PM »

There are however parochial R's who don't like seeing their stars fall and shoved aside in favor of a different clique. There are also those who are concerned about reelection in their Biden seats. Arguably, those two factors are more powerful than ideology right now.

If it comes down to Jordan and Jeffries, it'll be Jeffries.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #655 on: January 03, 2023, 05:04:55 PM »

AOC missing that vote and then screaming "Jeffries" after Ogles had already voted was kind of funny

Was she in the bathroom or something? She was pretty adamant that the Dems wouldn't walk out or whatever.

It sounded like she was momentarily distracted.  Her tone of voice was that of someone who zoned out for a second and then realized.

Non-zero chance she was distracted by Jimmy Gomez's baby lol

Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #656 on: January 03, 2023, 05:05:31 PM »

You have to imagine McCarthy starts bleeding support from here -- whether to Jordan or Scalise.

Jordan. That's who all the anti-McCarthy Republicans have united around. In the first ballot they were split across several candidates, and a plurality/majority were for Biggs. In the second and third ballots, all of them have rallied around Jordan. Scalise is out of the equation entirely.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #657 on: January 03, 2023, 05:06:26 PM »

Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #658 on: January 03, 2023, 05:06:40 PM »

I won't bother to look at C-SPAN for the fourth ballot. Expecting more of the same of the 3rd ballot. If anything changes, I'll know since doubtless at least 3 or 4 posters will post frantically about it in this thread, lol. But yeah, I'm not expecting anything too surprising, given how little changed in the 3rd ballot.
soundchaser

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #659 on: January 03, 2023, 05:07:27 PM »

You have to imagine McCarthy starts bleeding support from here -- whether to Jordan or Scalise.

Jordan. That's who all the anti-McCarthy Republicans have united around. In the first ballot they were split across several candidates, and a plurality/majority were for Biggs. In the second and third ballots, all of them have rallied around Jordan. Scalise is out of the equation entirely.

They've united around him from the far right, though. You're not getting a Fitzpatrick or a Van Drew to vote for Jordan.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #660 on: January 03, 2023, 05:07:45 PM »

AOC missing that vote and then screaming "Jeffries" after Ogles had already voted was kind of funny

Was she in the bathroom or something? She was pretty adamant that the Dems wouldn't walk out or whatever.

It sounded like she was momentarily distracted.  Her tone of voice was that of someone who zoned out for a second and then realized.

Non-zero chance she was distracted by Jimmy Gomez's baby lol

I feel bad for the baby. Being forced to watch these " adults ".
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #661 on: January 03, 2023, 05:08:22 PM »

There's no chance McCarthy wins this now. It's over for him.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #662 on: January 03, 2023, 05:08:29 PM »

But McCarthy won the vast majority of votes in the in-caucus internal vote. If he's still losing 20 Republicans, honestly, I don't think any Republican can get the requisite number of GOPers.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #663 on: January 03, 2023, 05:10:05 PM »

Republicans are so pathetic. The fact that they even have a House majority is shameful.
GM Team Member and Acting PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #664 on: January 03, 2023, 05:10:19 PM »

Imho it's very possible Jeffries has a better shot than McCarthy at this point, lmao. At the very least it's likelier that some compromise moderate is chosen than McCarthy being chosen. The Jordanites aren't budging, and they're growing in number.

My jaw dropped when I heard about that factoid on C-SPAN. I mean, sure, ten ballots, twenty ballots, even thirty or fifty - but literally 133? Lmao.

That was when the map for the election was this, lol:
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #665 on: January 03, 2023, 05:11:04 PM »

By this time tomorrow, will speaker.gov still have Nancy Pelosi's name at the top? Amusing that it is still up being that she hasn't technically been speaker for around five hours now. Ha!

I clicked that link and it was Pelosi standing beside Zelenskyy. I would personally have no issue leaving that as the Speaker's site in perpetuity.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #666 on: January 03, 2023, 05:12:27 PM »

That was when the map for the election was this, lol:

Yea the big difference was the Whig party had just dissolved and a bunch of new parties were vying to replace it. We aren’t there… yet.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #667 on: January 03, 2023, 05:12:39 PM »

K well I'm going to go watch Black Adam with pizza.

It's really bad, fyi
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #668 on: January 03, 2023, 05:13:38 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2023, 05:43:30 PM by ProudModerate2 »

#1     #2     #3
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #669 on: January 03, 2023, 05:13:53 PM »

Why is Jimmy Gomez bringing his baby? His wife would still be at home and I'd think a Congressman could get a babysitter.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #670 on: January 03, 2023, 05:14:10 PM »

What an absolute clown show. Thank you reps, I can feel Americas being made great again.   Squinting
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #671 on: January 03, 2023, 05:15:19 PM »

Now the crazy caucus wants to team up with the Dems to support a motion to adjourn, and the Dems are considering it. McCarthy wants to keep going 24/7. He does not think having R and R breaks works for him. 
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #672 on: January 03, 2023, 05:15:46 PM »

Why is Jimmy Gomez bringing his baby? His wife would still be at home and I'd think a Congressman could get a babysitter.
Because members are sworn in after the speaker is elected. Members bring their families for when they're sworn in and take photos.
soundchaser

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #673 on: January 03, 2023, 05:16:03 PM »

Now the crazy caucus wants to team up with the Dems to support a motion to adjourn, and the Dems are considering it. McCarthy wants to keep going 24/7. He does not think having R and R breaks works for him. 

It doesn't - just gives Republicans time to come up with a different candidate or Republicans and Democrats time to put forth a consensus.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #674 on: January 03, 2023, 05:16:23 PM »

VOTE FOUR! GIVE IT UP FOR VOTE FOUR!

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 168  
« previous next »
Jump to: