Joe Biden failed to mention Jesus’s name in Christmas speech
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 07:35:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Joe Biden failed to mention Jesus’s name in Christmas speech
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Joe Biden failed to mention Jesus’s name in Christmas speech  (Read 1831 times)
The Arizonan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 29, 2022, 08:28:38 PM »

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/america-has-lost-its-sense-of-god-fox-news-hosts-fume-biden-didnt-say-jesus-during-christmas-speech/amp/

I think he should have mentioned his name and there wouldn’t have been a controversy.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 08:50:38 PM »

Well that does it.  Impeach the bastard.
Reaganfan Democrat
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 08:51:20 PM »

This was a week ago by now, but anyway:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2022/12/22/remarks-by-president-biden-in-christmas-address-to-the-nation/

And we look to the sky, to a lone star, shining brighter than all the rest, guiding us to the birth of a child — a child Christians believe to be the son of God; miraculously now, here among us on Earth, bringing hope, love and peace and joy to the world.

The Christmas story is at the heart of the Christmas — Christian faith.  But the message of hope, love, peace, and joy, they’re also universal.

From the silence of space, on a silent night on a Christmas Eve, they read the story of Christmas — Creation from the King James Bible.  It went: “In the beginning God created Heaven and Earth.  And God said, ‘Let there be light,’ and there was light.”

I think there is enough Christianity in that speech. And I am certain Biden has uttered Jesus' name on his knees way more times than Trump.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 08:54:05 PM »

Is this Biden's tan suit moment?
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2022, 09:04:22 PM »

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2022/12/22/remarks-by-president-biden-in-christmas-address-to-the-nation/

And we look to the sky, to a lone star, shining brighter than all the rest, guiding us to the birth of a child — a child Christians believe to be the son of God; miraculously now, here among us on Earth, bringing hope, love and peace and joy to the world.

The Christmas story is at the heart of the Christmas — Christian faith.  But the message of hope, love, peace, and joy, they’re also universal.

From the silence of space, on a silent night on a Christmas Eve, they read the story of Christmas — Creation from the King James Bible.  It went: “In the beginning God created Heaven and Earth.  And God said, ‘Let there be light,’ and there was light.”

I think there is enough Christianity in that speech. And I am certain Biden has uttered Jesus' name on his knees way more times than Trump.

He even quoted the King James Bible.

So take that, King James onlyists.

And a Catholic at that.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2022, 09:20:13 PM »

So what?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2022, 09:25:11 PM »

You mean he actually knows what Christmas is about and can articulate it well?
Stockdale for Veep

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 09:37:22 PM »

Need some polls about what Christmas entails for the US population.

I'd bet a plurality find "family, gifts, snow/carols, reunion" is what makes Christmas Christmas.
the artist formerly known as catmusic
schnittdoodle
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 09:48:05 PM »

Apart from anything else, we do live in a secular country, so nobody is under any obligation to mention any divine power for any holiday anyway.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 09:52:51 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2022, 10:15:34 PM by NUPES Enjoyer »

Based. It's unseemly for the leader of a pluralistic country to bring up religious rhetoric.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 10:04:06 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2022, 01:46:27 AM by Badger »

This simply needs to be reposted at infinitum until the op and anyone pushing this line that Biden somehow forgot or fail to mention the Christian Origins of Christmas in his speech recant their factually incorrect statement, or at least just stops repeating it
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 10:06:24 PM »

So? Still might be too religious by giving a Christmas speech at all, which is implicit acknowledgment.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2022, 10:51:12 PM »

It was a good speech I saw it live, and I don't care. I'm not even convinced Jesus existed.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2022, 11:21:59 PM »

Christmas isn't about Jesus for 95%+ of Americans, and if 10%+ of people tell you it's about Jesus for them, some of them are probably lying.

Santa and capitalism have replaced Jesus and worship at Christmas time.
Reaganfan Democrat
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2022, 12:31:46 AM »
« Edited: December 30, 2022, 12:34:57 AM by Santander »

Based. It's unseemly for the leader of a pluralistic country to bring up religious rhetoric.
Christmas is the most widely-celebrated holiday in the US and isn't going anywhere, so it would be a bit absurd to not acknowledge its religious significance. Politicians talk freely about the origins or meaning of holidays like Hanukkah, Ramadan or Deepavali, after all. Biden's approach of acknowledging its Christian origins while also delivering a loving and universal message to the entire country is true pluralism.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2022, 01:21:27 AM »
« Edited: December 30, 2022, 01:27:00 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

It doesn't matter he helps people unlike Trump whom is a self made millionaire and give tax cuts to rich none of the prophets were rich Buddha, Moses, Christ or Mohammed,, it's wrong to praise the rich

Even the Catholic church as rich as it is gives back to Boy and Girl Scouts

DeSantis wont win the EC map doesn't go thru FL it's 247 plus VA and Tim Kaine not Youngkin is on the ballot plus we already have CO and NV that's 279 the rest is wave insurance for the Senate and Brown and Tester and Gallego have better Approvals than Vance and Johnson

If Stephanie Murphy runs and we already have John Love in TX they are endangered in a wave that doesn't happen 2 yrs prior to Eday to lose especially Cruz whom has been saying silly things
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2022, 02:56:14 AM »

This is a secular country, who gives a sh**t.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2022, 03:07:29 AM »

Christmas isn't about Jesus for 95%+ of Americans

That’s not true at all. Do you have any idea how many people attend Church for Christmas? It’s a very significant holiday if your Christian.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2022, 03:23:06 AM »

Christmas isn't about Jesus for 95%+ of Americans, and if 10%+ of people tell you it's about Jesus for them, some of them are probably lying.

Santa and capitalism have replaced Jesus and worship at Christmas time.
Santa is part of the Holy Trinity along with God and Jesus
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2022, 03:56:34 AM »

That’s not true at all. Do you have any idea how many people attend Church for Christmas? It’s a very significant holiday if your Christian.

Not a majority.

And even those that do, most don't the rest of the year except maybe Easter, and are more just cultural Christians not actual theists.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2022, 04:05:34 AM »

No one cares.

I’m a Christian and I don’t care.

The president should be a president for all and I’m not deluded enough to not realize that not everyone is a Christian. So if a president fails to acknowledge my own personal faith then I don’t care. In fact I’d prefer it if the president doesn’t display outward signs of faith. Keep politics and religion separate.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2022, 06:40:50 AM »

Yet, Biden (and all other American officials to be fair) prattles on ceaselessly about America’s so-called ‘values’, which is in and of itself a form of religious rhetoric.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2022, 07:12:21 AM »

ahhh yes, it will be the only time you see some "Christians" in church.  The church I grew up in went through the cost and trouble of putting in a balcony just for those people to use once or twice a year (if they remembered (or were properly taught) that Easter is actually the far more important religious holiday).  Seemed like a waste to me.

roughly 60% of Americans attend church around Christmas time.  There is no way 60% of Americans are Christian.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2022, 07:29:40 AM »

Do we mention Christ when we pray, no we don't we talk about what we need from him, he is the Holy spirit he knows what we need all we have to do is say it and he understands
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2022, 07:35:25 AM »

Yet, Biden (and all other American officials to be fair) prattles on ceaselessly about America’s so-called ‘values’, which is in and of itself a form of religious rhetoric.

Referring to "[country]'s values" is designed to include all members of the relevant national community, so it's not antipluralistic in the way that espousing the creed of a particular religion is. At least, not necessarily. There are case where this type of rhetoric is used to implicitly exclude certain groups of people who are presumed not to share the country's values - but whether that is the case can only be discerned within context, and I highly doubt this was the case in Biden's speech.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies