Joe Biden failed to mention Jesus’s name in Christmas speech
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 08:04:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Joe Biden failed to mention Jesus’s name in Christmas speech
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Joe Biden failed to mention Jesus’s name in Christmas speech  (Read 1809 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2022, 07:36:59 AM »

How dare noted Catholic Joe Biden not drop the J bomb.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2022, 07:56:45 AM »

Christmas isn't about Jesus for 95%+ of Americans

That’s not true at all. Do you have any idea how many people attend Church for Christmas? It’s a very significant holiday if your Christian.
ahhh yes, it will be the only time you see some "Christians" in church.  The church I grew up in went through the cost and trouble of putting in a balcony just for those people to use once or twice a year (if they remembered (or were properly taught) that Easter is actually the far more important religious holiday).  Seemed like a waste to me.

roughly 60% of Americans attend church around Christmas time.  There is no way 60% of Americans are Christian.

A pastor who my wife knows calls these "C & E Christians" -- they only show up at Christmas and Easter.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2022, 08:29:59 AM »

Christmas isn't about Jesus for 95%+ of Americans, and if 10%+ of people tell you it's about Jesus for them, some of them are probably lying.

Santa and capitalism have replaced Jesus and worship at Christmas time.
Santa is part of the Holy Trinity along with God and Jesus

The milk and cookies are just another form of eucharist.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2022, 09:43:09 AM »

It was Odin and the Wild Hunt's holiday first.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2022, 10:32:24 AM »

If I had been POTUS, I would not have used the word Christmas at all, but rather just the word Holidays. Fox news would have been rendered apoplectic.  Maybe I would have earned the moniker the Great Satan from them.  Angel

jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2022, 12:09:16 PM »

That’s not true at all. Do you have any idea how many people attend Church for Christmas? It’s a very significant holiday if your Christian.
ahhh yes, it will be the only time you see some "Christians" in church.  The church I grew up in went through the cost and trouble of putting in a balcony just for those people to use once or twice a year (if they remembered (or were properly taught) that Easter is actually the far more important religious holiday).  Seemed like a waste to me.

roughly 60% of Americans attend church around Christmas time.  There is no way 60% of Americans are Christian.

When I went to Christmas Eve Mass, the place was packed.

I don't think I'm going to see most of the people next sunday though.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2022, 12:10:53 PM »

Remember, he was VP to a Muslim Atheist prez.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2022, 12:20:21 PM »

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2022, 12:22:08 PM »

And if it was, would your stance change?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2022, 12:28:40 PM »

It does kind of feel a lot like the millions of people who don't watch football but will then tune in to the Superbowl due to tradition and the national scale of the event (and then only watch the half-time show and the new batch of high-budget commercials), doesn't it?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2022, 12:39:24 PM »

I do think more people go to church at Christmas. I've even gone myself a few times since becoming a non believer.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2022, 01:15:50 PM »

does he like dijon mustard too
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2022, 01:59:43 PM »

Maybe? At least 75% of Americans aren't ACTIVELY christians, and 75% is playing it very safe. If there's a big rise in religiousness and christianity in the culture, then my stance would probably change, yeah.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2022, 02:01:52 PM »

Maybe? At least 75% of Americans aren't ACTIVELY christians, and 75% is playing it very safe. If there's a big rise in religiousness and christianity in the culture, then my stance would probably change, yeah.

Where i go to church, regular masses on sundays are relatively packed.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2022, 04:58:06 PM »

Christmas is about overeating and maxing out your credit cards. No need to mention Jesus Christ.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2022, 05:33:48 PM »

Required reading for anyone so misinformed about what Biden said that they're mistakenly criticizing him for not referencing Christ in his Christmas speech.

This was a week ago by now, but anyway:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2022/12/22/remarks-by-president-biden-in-christmas-address-to-the-nation/

And we look to the sky, to a lone star, shining brighter than all the rest, guiding us to the birth of a child — a child Christians believe to be the son of God; miraculously now, here among us on Earth, bringing hope, love and peace and joy to the world.

The Christmas story is at the heart of the Christmas — Christian faith.  But the message of hope, love, peace, and joy, they’re also universal.

From the silence of space, on a silent night on a Christmas Eve, they read the story of Christmas — Creation from the King James Bible.  It went: “In the beginning God created Heaven and Earth.  And God said, ‘Let there be light,’ and there was light.”

I think there is enough Christianity in that speech. And I am certain Biden has uttered Jesus' name on his knees way more times than Trump.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2022, 05:34:31 PM »

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2022/12/22/remarks-by-president-biden-in-christmas-address-to-the-nation/

And we look to the sky, to a lone star, shining brighter than all the rest, guiding us to the birth of a child — a child Christians believe to be the son of God; miraculously now, here among us on Earth, bringing hope, love and peace and joy to the world.

The Christmas story is at the heart of the Christmas — Christian faith.  But the message of hope, love, peace, and joy, they’re also universal.

From the silence of space, on a silent night on a Christmas Eve, they read the story of Christmas — Creation from the King James Bible.  It went: “In the beginning God created Heaven and Earth.  And God said, ‘Let there be light,’ and there was light.”

I think there is enough Christianity in that speech. And I am certain Biden has uttered Jesus' name on his knees way more times than Trump.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2022, 06:04:37 PM »

My comment has nothing to do with that which you cite. It was a question about principle.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2022, 07:13:15 PM »

Christmas is about overeating and maxing out your credit cards. No need to mention Jesus Christ.

Smiley
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2022, 07:23:50 PM »

It's probably his 213th at least by now.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2022, 07:38:17 PM »

My comment has nothing to do with that which you cite. It was a question about principle.

Fair enough.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2022, 08:34:29 PM »

This story reminds me of the time that a former Rhode Island governor referred to a Christmas tree as a “holiday tree”.

He could have avoided controversy by simply calling it a Christmas tree.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2023, 01:39:14 AM »

if you honestly give a sh**t about this you have no life and nobody should listen to your opinions about anything because you are an idle fool with no actual real-world concerns or responsibilities
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2023, 01:45:14 AM »

Who gives a flying f****?
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2023, 01:55:21 AM »

That’s not true at all. Do you have any idea how many people attend Church for Christmas? It’s a very significant holiday if your you're Christian.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies