Hudson, NJ should be looked at by Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:31:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Hudson, NJ should be looked at by Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hudson, NJ should be looked at by Republicans  (Read 871 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 27, 2022, 01:08:20 PM »

Secaucus is the most Republican town in Hudson's Democratic bastion.

Jersey City had a Republican mayor in the 1990s, Bret Schundler. Republicans failed to build on his legacy.

Bayonne, etc. has a lot of Irish and Italian Trumpers.

Chris Christie did well in Hudson in 2013.....

Every Jersey City cop should be voting Republican, etc.

For some reason, they still believe and vote for Democrats....

Shouldn't Republicans make a play in Hudson? A lot of Latinos are there.....
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 04:59:00 PM »

While I do agree that Rs have potential to grow in Bayonne and Secaucus, both are relatively small communities, infact so small that R gains wouldn't even make a difference at the State Legislative level. Bayonne particular has a lot in common culturally with the Southern half of Staten Island, it's just a bit more diverse and industrial.

In Jersey City and Hoboken, Rs problem is that you're getting a lot of racially diverse younger left-leaning professionals who work in NYC but choose to live in Jersey City because it's a bit cheaper. The 90s was a completely different time, and the demographic make up of the city has changed in a very unfavorable way for Rs.

One interesting region is the northern parts of the County, home to Northern Bergen, Union City, and West New York. These communities have decently large Hispanic populations, and I find it really interesting how in 2021 Gov, Murphy did quite a bit better than Biden here. Maybe unreliable and non-voters in these communities just lean significantly more to the right than their reliable counterparts, or federal Rs have a unique appeal here that state Rs don't idk.

Overall though, Hudson County is fairly low turnout, so I would still imagine there's more upside overall for Ds in the County, even if the % margin narrows a bit on fuller turnout.

If I were an R and was looking to be competitive statewide in NJ, I'd probably start my investments more in Southern Jersey where there is def more for Rs to gain. Rs could make some small gains in Hudson County, but it prolly wouldn't be very much bang-for-the-buck.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 05:46:32 PM »

I don't know that "every Jersey City Cop should be voting Republican." Some of them aren't white, maybe others care more about their union pension or keeping guns out of the hands of criminals then whatever makes you think they should automatically be titanium R based on their profession.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 06:04:32 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2022, 06:11:58 PM by Torie »

The cop station next to where we swim in the Jersey City heights is packed with handsome young and fit Hispanic cops, and the hood has so many white Hispanics that folks in the dives we go into to eat, assume that we speak Spanish.

My anecdotally based perceptions, as one who has come to know Hoboken politics quite well and become enmeshed in it (yeah all the players now know the eccentric old man with the poison pen) Hudson County of all races is a kind of socially liberal centrist place where woke is very thin on the ground, with the high income white and mostly Indian Asians in Hoboken and downtown Jersey City young IT and finance types without an extra inch of flab on their bodies out there to conquer the world, and in the meantime busy manufacturing babies with nannies for their babies and their designer dogs (none quite as cute as Roby but some come close). I don't think either party represents them very well. Christie came close to carrying Hoboken in his prime, a city which also came very close to repealing rent control outright not that long ago. Capitalism is king.

NJ itself may come closest to a state that feels it is poorly represented by both parties as both race to the perceived extremes.

Hudson County did trend pretty hard to Trump 2020 from Trump 2016, almost everywhere except in precincts like mine (higher income white).

Here is a DRA map for you to play with. Diversity is king. We have it all, in just a few square miles (the county has the top 4 most densely populated cities in the nation, all next to each other like peas in a pod).

https://davesredistricting.org/join/519e59c9-068a-4a12-ba4e-f2d536a2ff38
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2022, 08:07:44 PM »

The cop station next to where we swim in the Jersey City heights is packed with handsome young and fit Hispanic cops, and the hood has so many white Hispanics that folks in the dives we go into to eat, assume that we speak Spanish.

My anecdotally based perceptions, as one who has come to know Hoboken politics quite well and become enmeshed in it (yeah all the players now know the eccentric old man with the poison pen) Hudson County of all races is a kind of socially liberal centrist place where woke is very thin on the ground, with the high income white and mostly Indian Asians in Hoboken and downtown Jersey City young IT and finance types without an extra inch of flab on their bodies out there to conquer the world, and in the meantime busy manufacturing babies with nannies for their babies and their designer dogs (none quite as cute as Roby but some come close). I don't think either party represents them very well. Christie came close to carrying Hoboken in his prime, a city which also came very close to repealing rent control outright not that long ago. Capitalism is king.

NJ itself may come closest to a state that feels it is poorly represented by both parties as both race to the perceived extremes.

Hudson County did trend pretty hard to Trump 2020 from Trump 2016, almost everywhere except in precincts like mine (higher income white).

Here is a DRA map for you to play with. Diversity is king. We have it all, in just a few square miles (the county has the top 4 most densely populated cities in the nation, all next to each other like peas in a pod).

https://davesredistricting.org/join/519e59c9-068a-4a12-ba4e-f2d536a2ff38

Can confirm, I worked in Hoboken very briefly around 2010 and it was already like this then.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2022, 08:28:43 PM »

Hudson is often described as the sixth borough...but if anything it's much less "white ethnic" and lacks the super-red geography of Jewish Brooklyn and Italian Staten Island.

In some ways, it's a mirror of western Queens.  Not very Jewish, and extremely polyglot.
the artist formerly known as catmusic
schnittdoodle
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 01:12:38 AM »

This is incredibly true. Much of NJ is just that - a very centrist place where capitalism is king. Republicans have a hard time carrying these places since everyone knows people who are different than themselves, and the republican party here is largely seen as the old white guys out in rural NJ who like Trump and don't like brown people, the uber-rich in Ocean county, or...Lakewood. Republicans can still win here if they're the right person in the right place (i.e. Tom Kean) but they're gonna have a hard time with Hudson county. It's just too young and too diverse, too many people from somewhere else who are not intimately familiar with NJ politics, and for them name recognition and "legacy" don't mean much. Plus they loooove feeling woke, so I don't see them turning any time soon, and yeah, Secaucus is too small to change much at the county level, as others have said.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 07:51:46 PM »

I don't know that "every Jersey City Cop should be voting Republican." Some of them aren't white, maybe others care more about their union pension or keeping guns out of the hands of criminals then whatever makes you think they should automatically be titanium R based on their profession.

I think a lot of them probably will vote more and more Republican because the Democrats feel they are all bad and all out to gun down minorities. Why would they vote Democratic when a large majority in the party feels so?

King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 09:53:44 PM »

Hoboken is very Brownstone Brooklyn-like.  Bayonne is the most "WWC" community but it's fairly polyglot, including a sizeable Egyptian immigrant population.  Not sure what its outer borough equivalent is.  No Howard Beach or Staten Island type areas really in Hudson.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 02:15:01 AM »

Republicans should invest in Jersey City might be one of the dumbest takes I've ever seen. Republicans aren't winning this state anytime soon, but they'd be better off trying to win back the suburban voters that they've alienated than trying to make inroads in Hudson County.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 02:19:42 AM »

Hudson county has the 4 densest cities in the US.  I don't think those tend to be Republican friendly.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 08:40:40 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2022, 08:58:09 PM by King of Kensington »

Jersey City had a Republican mayor in the 1990s, Bret Schundler. Republicans failed to build on his legacy.

So did NYC.  So did LA.

Every Jersey City cop should be voting Republican, etc.

What percentage of the electorate are Jersey City cops?  Cops could have 100% turnout and vote 100% R and it would still make little difference.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2022, 08:46:06 PM »

Jersey City was less R (18%) than Brooklyn (22%) and Queens (27%).
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2022, 10:13:07 PM »

Jersey City no. But Trump did post the GOP's best numbers since 2004 in Kearney though, and Passiac County certainly has room to grow for the GOP.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies