Whoopi says having abortions is a painful and tough thing that Republicans don't get
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 09:09:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Whoopi says having abortions is a painful and tough thing that Republicans don't get
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Whoopi says having abortions is a painful and tough thing that Republicans don't get  (Read 2117 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2022, 11:09:40 AM »

So? Whatever your opinion on abortion, nobody will deny it is a hard and painful decision to make.

AU contraire. Severely. Spend 2 minutes talking with an anti-abortion advocate about the plight of pregnant women and why they choose abortions and the majority act like such procedures are usually done frivolously, almost recreationally.

You are giving most of such people's sense of empathy far more credit than they are due.

Less than 10% of abortions are performed as a result of rape, incest, the child having some sort of health condition, or a threat to the life of the mother or child. The vast majority (about 90% of them) are done for purely elective reasons, not because there was a real medical need for one.

Your definition of all abortions not resulting from rape or medical necessity as "elective" is almost willfully vicious, and proves my point in spades.

Huh

Huh? Thats what elective means ... by choice rather than by necessity.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2022, 12:35:23 PM »

Nothing wrong with elective procedures.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2022, 12:43:14 PM »

So? Whatever your opinion on abortion, nobody will deny it is a hard and painful decision to make.

AU contraire. Severely. Spend 2 minutes talking with an anti-abortion advocate about the plight of pregnant women and why they choose abortions and the majority act like such procedures are usually done frivolously, almost recreationally.

You are giving most of such people's sense of empathy far more credit than they are due.

Less than 10% of abortions are performed as a result of rape, incest, the child having some sort of health condition, or a threat to the life of the mother or child. The vast majority (about 90% of them) are done for purely elective reasons, not because there was a real medical need for one.

Your definition of all abortions not resulting from rape or medical necessity as "elective" is almost willfully vicious, and proves my point in spades.

Huh

Your and your equally callous friend's assessment of any abortion not being "necessary" unless related to rape or medical necessity, as if an "elective" abortion is akin to say breast reduction surgery, again, proves my point in spades
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2022, 12:56:11 PM »

Huh

Your and your equally callous friend's assessment of any abortion not being "necessary" unless related to rape or medical necessity, as if an "elective" abortion is akin to say breast reduction surgery, again, proves my point in spades

What point? You never explained how lack of necessity and the term elective arent synonymous. If the abortion isnt medically necessary or the result of rape that makes it an elective procedure. How is that incorrect? Just derping "BECAUSE!" is not a point.
the artist formerly known as catmusic
schnittdoodle
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2022, 02:12:03 PM »

"Baby killer! Killing babies!! Your cousin is just baby killer and it's no different than slitting the throat of her entire family!" Most conservatives, probably unquestionably.

Deadass, members of our family have said things along these lines, which is why I have 0 respect for the "pro-life" movement. Not to mention she has never actually has performed an abortion, she morally can't handle doing it. But she's a good doctor, so she has always recommended it when medically necessary.

Appreciate that you thought so highly of my post as well. Thank you. I hope to be far, far better than I was all those years ago. Smiley
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2022, 03:34:36 PM »

Hot take: if the fetus is already dead or is guaranteed to be dead before birth, and the life of the mother is at risk, it isn't a tragedy.

No, it still is, but the difference is that the tragedy has already happened in those cases before the abortion or abortion-like procedure (because what "counts as" abortion in these edge cases is in part a rhetorical choice) is even on the table.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2022, 04:26:50 PM »

Anyway, I remember less than a decade ago when "abortion is a difficult and sensitive decision that few if any women take lightly" was the sort of thing that one observed as common ground in The Abortion Debate, not yet another occasion for attempting to one-up or own one's opponents in that debate. I'm not accusing Whoopi of doing that, but lots and lots of people in this thread clearly are and I find that disturbing.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2022, 11:35:15 PM »

Hot take: if the fetus is already dead or is guaranteed to be dead before birth, and the life of the mother is at risk, it isn't a tragedy.

No, it still is, but the difference is that the tragedy has already happened in those cases before the abortion or abortion-like procedure (because what "counts as" abortion in these edge cases is in part a rhetorical choice) is even on the table.

Exactly. A tragedy HAS occured (past tense), but now the "abortion" itself in the present is not a tragedy at all.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2022, 11:37:16 PM »

Anyway, I remember less than a decade ago when "abortion is a difficult and sensitive decision that few if any women take lightly" was the sort of thing that one observed as common ground in The Abortion Debate, not yet another occasion for attempting to one-up or own one's opponents in that debate. I'm not accusing Whoopi of doing that, but lots and lots of people in this thread clearly are and I find that disturbing.

The fact that the debate is so contentious with no clear evidence-based or logic-based answer in sight after decades is probably a sign that banning abortion or making abortion mandatory should be totally off the table, and each individual should have a right to make a decision for themselves, without the government forcing them to do one thing or the other.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2022, 06:20:29 PM »

A lot of garbage tier posts exceptional posts from the conservatives in this thread!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies