LGC 11.19 — Leave Them Kids Alone Act — TABLED
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:24:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LGC 11.19 — Leave Them Kids Alone Act — TABLED
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LGC 11.19 — Leave Them Kids Alone Act — TABLED  (Read 242 times)
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 26, 2022, 03:39:37 PM »
« edited: December 27, 2022, 05:13:31 AM by LGC Speaker ZMUN M441 »

THE LEAVE THEM KIDS ALONE ACT

Section I — Title
This bill may be cited as the Leave Them Kids Alone Act.

Section II — Protecting Our Children From P$ychiatry
1. All forms of child psychiatry, including hospitalization, therapy, and counseling, shall be strictly prohibited in the region of Lincoln on the grounds that non-consensual psychiatric treatment, including 'treatment' of those too young to consent to it, is innately unethical, cruel, and traumatic. Child psychiatrists shall not face prosecution for 'treatment' carried out before this bill's passing and during a 14-day grace period after its passing; after the grace period is over, any psychiatrist or counselor who 'treats' a minor is to be arrested for child endangerment, with the possibility of additional charges of emotional and/or psychological child abuse, and prosecuted accordingly, with the minimum and maximum sentences being the same as the standards for child endangerment, emotional child abuse, and psychological child abuse.

2. All public K-12 schools within Lincoln shall be required to fire any psychologists, counselors, and other psychiatric professionals employed with them within 14 days of this legislation's passing. If they do not, they shall have their regional funding withheld.

3. All minors required to undergo court-ordered psychiatric treatment shall be immediately freed from that requirement.

4. This legislation shall take effect immediately.

Occupying: Slot 9 of 10
Sponsor: ZMUN M441
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2022, 05:26:27 PM »

This bill is a sibling bill to LGC 10.18, further aiming to curb the harm that the psychiatric industry does — in this case, to our youth. We have an epidemic here in Atlasia, including in Lincoln, of psychiatrists and therapists mindf##king our children into being mindless, conformist 'normal' beings. They tell them that any non-conformist behaviour or beliefs mean that there is something 'wrong' with them that needs to be 'fixed,' convince them that their family is dysfunctional, or even abusive, if they don't blindly go along with the 'fixing,' and put them on drugs that haven't been approved for their age group and have the potential to hurt their developing bodies. This legislation will prohibit child psychiatry, protecting our next generations from this.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 01:52:42 AM »

Citizen comment, as a registered Pennsylvanian.

This is a horrifying bill that will cause many children to suffer. It is a widely accepted principle that although children to not possess full capacity for informed consent, their guardians possess the duty and right to act in the child's best interests on their behalf. Many psychiatric practices are well-established to be safe, effective, and necessary for particular conditions. A few years ago I developed severe OCD out of nowhere. It was a living hell. Years of treatment combining medication and cognitive behavioral therapy saved me from this hell and allowed me to regain control of my life.

I was 21. Under this bill, if I was just a few years younger, I would have been denied under the law to pursue the course of care that is unanimously recommended by all experts on OCD, and which restored my well-being. This is a cruel bill that appears to be based on a rigid and misguided ideological agenda with no consideration of cold hard reality. OCD is not merely some personality difference or quirk like some say of conditions like autism and ADHD. It is a severe, debilitating and torturous mental illness. Nobody with actual OCD likes or appreciates their OCD. They want it gone. It is estimated that 1 in 40 Atlasians suffer from this hellish condition.

I urge every one of you to vote no on this bill which leaves minors with OCD, and other debilitating conditions, unable to access the proven care they need to restore well being to their lives.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 01:58:15 AM »

As a New Yorker who has undergone child psychiatry, and as a co-GM, what on earth is the sponsor of this legislation, and the other recent anti-psychiatry legislation thinking?

I would be a lot more of a violent, generally mentally unhealthy person if it weren't for my psychiatrist, whom I started seeing as a child.

I strongly suggest the sponsor of this legislation look into a psychiatrist or therapist, because I'm starting to suspect he's got some issues in his subconscious that need to be worked out.
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2022, 03:55:26 AM »
« Edited: December 27, 2022, 05:40:28 AM by LGC Speaker ZMUN M441 »

As a New Yorker who has undergone child psychiatry, and as a co-GM, what on earth is the sponsor of this legislation, and the other recent anti-psychiatry legislation thinking?

I would be a lot more of a violent, generally mentally unhealthy person if it weren't for my psychiatrist, whom I started seeing as a child.

I strongly suggest the sponsor of this legislation look into a psychiatrist or therapist, because I'm starting to suspect he's got some issues in his subconscious that need to be worked out.

...the reason I'm anti-psychiatry in the first place is because of how horrific and, to put it bluntly, traumatic my own experiences with therapy were. I, personally, consider it an abusive practice that has no tolerance for 'non-conformist' behaviour (for example: I was told that not liking to be hugged means that there's something wrong with me, and that 'normal people' like to be hugged so you're 'abnormal' if you don't like it) based on my own experiences with it. I drafted these bills when I was pissed off over memories of that experience, and wasn't thinking them through at the time. I will acknowledge that it can be helpful if you have more serious conditions and if they do not try to 'fix' trivial eccentricities in the process, and am hurt to hear Cody's citizen comment. It gives me another perspective on this issue that I haven't heard much.

As such, I'm going to table this bill due to the citizen comment. Might introduce another bill later this session that sets up very basic ethical restrictions on psychiatry and prohibitions on 'treating' mild quirks like not liking to be hugged, while otherwise allowing for serious conditions to be treated. I hope to find a middle ground that will both protect others like me, and protect those with more serious conditions.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2022, 08:20:35 AM »

This is a horrifying bill that will cause many children to suffer. It is a widely accepted principle that although children to not possess full capacity for informed consent, their guardians possess the duty and right to act in the child's best interests on their behalf. Many psychiatric practices are well-established to be safe, effective, and necessary for particular conditions. A few years ago I developed severe OCD out of nowhere. It was a living hell. Years of treatment combining medication and cognitive behavioral therapy saved me from this hell and allowed me to regain control of my life.

I was 21. Under this bill, if I was just a few years younger, I would have been denied under the law to pursue the course of care that is unanimously recommended by all experts on OCD, and which restored my well-being. This is a cruel bill that appears to be based on a rigid and misguided ideological agenda with no consideration of cold hard reality. OCD is not merely some personality difference or quirk like some say of conditions like autism and ADHD. It is a severe, debilitating and torturous mental illness. Nobody with actual OCD likes or appreciates their OCD. They want it gone. It is estimated that 1 in 40 Atlasians suffer from this hellish condition.

I urge every one of you to vote no on this bill which leaves minors with OCD, and other debilitating conditions, unable to access the proven care they need to restore well being to their lives.

merely some personality difference or quirk like some say of conditions like autism and ADHD...

You accuse someone else of being misguided, but your statement is very misguided too. You don't need to minimize other conditions to "validate" your condition.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2022, 12:30:49 PM »

I actually had a doctor tell me once when discussing my pretty universally diagnosed since childhood into my 40s ADHD that he personally believed it was misdiagnosed ocd. That theory is full of feces in my humble opinion, but just thought I'd share.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2022, 12:39:34 PM »

Chiming in as a GM, I am not going to make a comment on my thoughts of this particular bill as that would be a conflict of interest, but I would like to remind all legislatures that what they pass will impact the storylines.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2022, 02:12:34 PM »

merely some personality difference or quirk like some say of conditions like autism and ADHD...

You accuse someone else of being misguided, but your statement is very misguided too. You don't need to minimize other conditions to "validate" your condition.
"Like some say". Reading comprehension. I was trying to appeal to people who are anti-psychiatry to begin with. Know your audience.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2022, 03:35:59 PM »

"Like some say". Reading comprehension. I was trying to appeal to people who are anti-psychiatry to begin with. Know your audience.

I know you targetted ZMUN in your post. But I didn't like how you phrased that sentence. I see you said "like some say", but I don't like the way you said it and i don't think it is even necessary to refer to autism and ADHD if you have clearly no idea what it means to be living with those. Don't try to uplift some mental "disorders" over others, because it sounds like you validate your own illness and pretend it is something much bigger than other disorders.

Mental illness is not a race or competition and I feel like often it is seen as such, as people do that to try to prove how bad they have it. But don't like state "my problems are bigger than yours", because that is gonna sound bad, always.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2022, 03:41:07 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2022, 03:45:33 PM by Laki »

I actually had a doctor tell me once when discussing my pretty universally diagnosed since childhood into my 40s ADHD that he personally believed it was misdiagnosed ocd. That theory is full of feces in my humble opinion, but just thought I'd share.

I have that feeling too, the entire diagnostication processes are highly flawed and it's why I proposed twice to "lower the importance of diagnoses" because I feel like people make conclusions about you based on 1 name. Like you're the character of Rain Man because that's what people, esp. older people think about, when they hear ASD, highly stereotypical views that do not reflect the complexities of those mental disorders, while at the end everyone is a unique being, whether they do or don't have a mental disorder. Someone "without a diagnosed mental disorder" can still have mental issues, and someone with one can perfectly do fine. And i have the feeling that even therapists and psychiatrists don't always realize that. The name change from autism to autism spectrum disorder actually made things worse despite adding "the spectrum", because people diagnosed with aspergers now also face that general stereotypical view that other people with ASD already used to face. On top of that, contrary to popular belief, understanding of mental disorders is till very poorly developed, esp. compared to other sciences, partially since they're young sciences due to the importance of psychology and psychiatry only being recognised in modern history. Before that, you were just insane, killed, put in psychiatry or in captivity isolated from the rest of society with no adequate help.

On top of that, there is also overdiagnostication and an overreliance on meds (for no good reason) and lack of consensus on some disorders whether they're developmentary or neurological. No-one was able to give me a proper good answer whether ASD is neurological and developmental, since it seems more developmental in my case while scientific consensus is neurological (due to severe child abuse in my case). The reply was, maybe you just were abused and had ASD at the same time, but i am highly skeptical. Feels too coincidental, which is why a minority of psychologists/psychiatrists disagree with that diagnosis and think about personality disorder or complex PTSD instead.

It's why i don't believe a diagnosis is always helpful (and that reflected two proposed acts that I did formerly, both didn't pass). But I do believe in treatment, or at least an attempt to treat people.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2022, 03:56:56 PM »

I know you targetted ZMUN in your post. But I didn't like how you phrased that sentence. I see you said "like some say", but I don't like the way you said it and i don't think it is even necessary to refer to autism and ADHD if you have clearly no idea what it means to be living with those. Don't try to uplift some mental "disorders" over others, because it sounds like you validate your own illness and pretend it is something much bigger than other disorders.

Mental illness is not a race or competition and I feel like often it is seen as such, as people do that to try to prove how bad they have it. But don't like state "my problems are bigger than yours", because that is gonna sound bad, always.
I have been diagnosed with both of those. Please try to stop getting offended so easily. It's really offputting. I will say things as they are and I have no interest in walking on eggshells.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2022, 03:58:07 PM »

I have been diagnosed with both of those. Please try to stop getting offended so easily. It's really offputting. I will say things as they are and I have no interest in walking on eggshells.

The thing is the "things are not as they are". You're invalidating some peoples mental issues. You state as what you say is a fact, while it is 100% incorrect.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2022, 04:02:25 PM »

The thing is the "things are not as they are". You're invalidating some peoples mental issues. You state as what you say is a fact, while it is 100% incorrect.
I never stated it as a fact, I stated it as a perspective of some people. Plenty of people with autism and ADHD are very vocal about their perspective that those conditions are personality differences rather than disorders.

I will not back down or apologize.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2022, 04:10:23 PM »

I never stated it as a fact, I stated it as a perspective of some people. Plenty of people with autism and ADHD are very vocal about their perspective that those conditions are personality differences rather than disorders.

"Plenty of people with autism and ADHD are very vocal".

Proof.

And proof the plenty as well because plenty often turns out to be merely "one or a few individual(s)".

Give me the evidence.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2022, 04:14:11 PM »

"Plenty of people with autism and ADHD are very vocal".

Proof.

And proof the plenty as well because plenty often turns out to be merely "one or a few individual(s)".

Give me the evidence.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_rights_movement

This is the last I will say on the matter. I refuse to walk on eggshells or apologize for what I said, which was perfectly reasonable and correct. If anything, you should apologize for hounding me interminably over a perfectly reasonable turn of phrase and trying to drag me through the mud in the bad posts thread. I will not back down.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies