How Carter Won (On November 4, 1980)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:25:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  How Carter Won (On November 4, 1980)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How Carter Won (On November 4, 1980)  (Read 1398 times)
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 24, 2022, 04:08:20 AM »
« edited: December 24, 2022, 04:43:38 AM by Anthropogenic-Statism »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/magazine/1979/11/04/how-carter-won-on-november-4-1980/d98966b4-08a4-4471-adc2-160d7b371af9/

For the first time, the Jordan-Carter strategy became clear. In 1976 he had run as an outsider; in 1980 he would run as an outsider who had tried to change the system and who knew how evil it really was. The enemy was the Congress -- and his own party.

Just wanted to share one of my favorite pieces of retroactive alternate history with the forum! Written by Garrett Epps for the Washington Post in November 1979, How Carter Won (On November 4, 1980) imagines President Carter inspired by Harry Truman and his famous comeback in 1948 to turn things around in 1980. Eschewing his normal conciliatory tone in his State of the Union Address, Carter hedges his candidacy for reelection on the "no-account, low down, good-for-nothing 96th Congress" not passing a package of reforms "needed to break the unprecendented grip of special interests on our country", reinvigorating himself to the public as a fighter against special interests.

Going on the offense, Carter delivers a famous "Blue-jeans Speech" in the Plains in dungarees and a workshirt before launching a primary strategy concentrated on rural and conservative areas. He barely defeats Ted Kennedy and Jerry Brown to his left in a brutal primary, with Brown's delegates putting him over the top at the convention after Brown is promised a position as head of NASA, a position that would later be elevated to Secretary of a new Department of Space. A third-party ticket of Sargent Shriver and Tom Hayden is formed to Carter's left.

A special session of congress in July balks at wage-and-price controls, allowing Carter to shift the blame for rising prices from himself amid skyrocketing inflation. The unspecified Republican challenger- who, according to attacks from Mondale and Andrew Young, was close enough to Nixon to have had alleged ties to Watergate and had a poor record on civil rights- struggles with charges of "extremism". Sounds like Bush, maybe? Carter again goes on the offense with an October blitz of television and radio ads and literally resurrects Harry Truman's specially shielded railroad car as "The Last Chance Special", emphasizing the Carter campaign's claim as the last chance to end government by specials interests.

Carter wins 1980 271-267 with a surprise flip in California, winning 49.1% of the popular vote to the GOP's 49.05% and Shriver and Hayden's 1.3%. Apparently, he carries Texas, Ohio, New York, and all of the "Old South" except Virginia, while the Republican wins New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Illinois, and the rest of the West. I'll share my best attempt at the map.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 04:36:14 AM »

I un-recommended this OP so that I could recommend it twice.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 11:13:56 PM »

The problem is Carter was simply never half as charismatic as Harry Truman. I just don’t see this working out for him, but couldn’t have been worse than what happened I guess.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 06:42:04 PM »

The problem is Carter was simply never half as charismatic as Harry Truman. I just don’t see this working out for him, but couldn’t have been worse than what happened I guess.

Truman had an electorate that was still majority Democratic, and he had a Republican Congress to rail against.  Also, national conditions in 1980 were definitely worse than in 1948.
John Forbes Kerrygold 🧈
ObamasWaffle
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 12:20:48 PM »

I don’t know if this would have worked out for him in our timeline, but this was a fantastic read. Change some names and this is a great movie.
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 05:22:45 PM »

Truman had an electorate that was still majority Democratic, and he had a Republican Congress to rail against.  Also, national conditions in 1980 were definitely worse than in 1948.

Not to mention Dewey (or at least his team) made the mistake of taking the election for granted. Truman's win was an upset, but the media narrative of "OMG nobody [meaning we] saw this coming" was always overstated because IIRC Truman had narrowed margins significantly by voting day, to the point that a win wasn't outside the realm of possibility. Dewey played it too safe and mostly made empty platitudes, while Truman campaigned aggressively, and that played better to a public that was annoyed with the establishment writ-large, not just Truman.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 11:33:43 PM »

I don't think he'd be able to run against congress that was controlled by his own party.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies