The Hill: Van Hollen targeting N.J. seats, but state GOP officials unafraid
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 11:07:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Hill: Van Hollen targeting N.J. seats, but state GOP officials unafraid
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: The Hill: Van Hollen targeting N.J. seats, but state GOP officials unafraid  (Read 15956 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2007, 11:50:16 AM »
« edited: February 16, 2007, 01:53:25 PM by Keystone Phil »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Just one? Ok...

ANWR - http://gerlach.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=44399
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2007, 01:43:20 PM »

I never made that post.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2007, 01:52:34 PM »

Sorry, I was trying to reduce all the quotes and accidentally deleted MarkWarner08 from the quote. One of your quotes must have been in there somewhere and I made the mistake of attributing it to you.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2007, 04:12:32 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2007, 04:14:24 PM by MarkWarner08 »

Mike Fitzpatrick received a 92% rating from the LCV and earned their endosrsement; Jim Gerlach didn't. Gerlach voted for more oil drilling in the form of the Refinery Permit Process Schedule Act; Fitzpatrick voted no.

Gerlach cast a meaningless vote on a resolution that was bound to fail. The House Leadership set up the vote and when they knew it would fail, they let "moderates" like  Gerlach use it as a form of greenwashing to help them win reelection.  Unlike Gerlach, Fitzpatrick stood with the conservationists 92% of the time.  You also never responded to my AMT point.

If I'd lived in PA-08, I would have voted for Fitzpatrick in 2006.

Why did Jim Gerlach vote against the non-binding troop resolution?  If he's so moderate, why didn't he follow the path of Jim Walsh and Rep. Castle?

Phil English cast a courageous  vote for the resolution. I won't actively support English's opponent because of that brave vote. Gerlach voted with the leadership.

Jim Gerlach represents  the interests of Washington lobbyists, not the interests of the people of Norristown.

I hope Jim Gerlach spend more time listening to Phil English than he does listening to John Boehner.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2007, 04:19:57 PM »

Mike Fitzpatrick received a 92% rating from the LCV and earned their endosrsement; Jim Gerlach didn't. Gerlach voted for more oil drilling in the form of the Refinery Permit Process Schedule Act; Fitzpatrick voted no.

Gerlach cast a meaningless vote on a resolution that was bound to fail. The House Leadership set up the vote to help Gerlach win reelection.  Unlike Gerlach, Fitzpatrick stood with the conservationists 92% of the time.

Ok so when I give you evidence, you start going on about Fitz and how he got an endorsement but Gerlach didn't. What a baby. I love how this debate on the environment had nothing to do with Fitz but you brought it in so you thought you'd have a winning point.

Good. Fitz is one of my favorite politicians of all time.

So now you have to agree with other moderates all the time? Kid, you're really reaching for material here and you're failing in the worst sense.

That's wonderful especially since no one even cares if English gets opposition.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2007, 04:39:54 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2007, 04:47:22 PM by MarkWarner08 »

Gerlach cast a meaningless vote on a resolution that was bound to fail. The House Leadership set up the vote to help Gerlach win reelection.  Unlike Gerlach, Fitzpatrick stood with the conservationists 92% of the time.

Ok so when I give you evidence, you start going on about Fitz and how he got an endorsement but Gerlach didn't. What a baby. I love how this debate on the environment had nothing to do with Fitz but you brought it in so you thought you'd have a winning point.

Good. Fitz is one of my favorite politicians of all time.

So now you have to agree with other moderates all the time? Kid, you're really reaching for material here and you're failing in the worst sense.

That's wonderful especially since no one even cares if English gets opposition.

English won less than 54% of the vote last time. His district is also moving towards Democrats, as is Dent's district. PA-03, PA-06 and PA-15 are all targets for the DCCC. English made a vote that counts as good politics and good policy. Gerlach made the wrong vote on the issue that has led to  the unecessary deaths of 3,000 Americans, over $400 billion and an incalculable cost in prestige. He had a chance to show he's learned from Iraq and he blew the chance.

On the most important issue of the day, Gelrach remains intransigent. Iraq will be an albatross around his neck. He underperformed in 2002 and he overperformed in 2006. Don't let his unexpected nature lull you into complacency. He will face his toughest challenge in 2008. If just another .6% of voters see the true Jim Gerlach -- it'll off to K Street.

I'm not "reaching" when I bring up the Iraq War vote. Gerlach voted for the war and against the resolution castigating the Commander in Chief for his failed plans in Iraq.

Iraq was a poignanat issue in the 2006 elections. Why else would a political neophyte who's only issue was his postion to the have have beaten Gerlach's neighbor, Mike Fitzpatrick. Today, the war is even less popular. If a strong opponent, say, Dan Wofford can run on the war issue, Gerlach with be in even more trouble. Jim's margin of error is only 3,001 votes.  Every day, as another American dies in Iraq, that margin closes.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2007, 07:16:25 PM »

Gerlach cast a meaningless vote on a resolution that was bound to fail. The House Leadership set up the vote and when they knew it would fail, they let "moderates" like  Gerlach use it as a form of greenwashing to help them win reelection.  Unlike Gerlach, Fitzpatrick stood with the conservationists 92% of the time.  You also never responded to my AMT point.

Why did Jim Gerlach vote against the non-binding troop resolution?  If he's so moderate, why didn't he follow the path of Jim Walsh and Rep. Castle?

Phil English cast a courageous  vote for the resolution. I won't actively support English's opponent because of that brave vote. Gerlach voted with the leadership.

Jim Gerlach represents  the interests of Washington lobbyists, not the interests of the people of Norristown.

I hope Jim Gerlach spend more time listening to Phil English than he does listening to John Boehner.

I don't know why Gerlach voted against the resolution.  That is going to come back to bite him in 2008.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2007, 08:48:07 PM »

I don't know why Gerlach voted against the resolution.  That is going to come back to bite him in 2008.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2007, 11:24:21 AM »

English won less than 54% of the vote last time. His district is also moving towards Democrats, as is Dent's district. PA-03, PA-06 and PA-15 are all targets for the DCCC.

PA 3 is a target? Amazing! I love when you guys waste money!

You have a weird obsession with Jim Gerlach of all people. Very odd.

Yawn...and he'll win again.

Uh, you're reaching with the Iraq vote when the issue was the environment.  Roll Eyes

You're right that that's the reason why Fitz went down but please notice that just because someone in neighboring district went down doesn't mean that you are going to go down, too. If Gerlach didn't get beaten over Iraq in 2006, why would he go down in 2008 because of that issue?

Dan Wofford was a weak candidate so please, please, please get him to run again.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2007, 12:33:22 PM »

English won less than 54% of the vote last time. His district is also moving towards Democrats, as is Dent's district. PA-03, PA-06 and PA-15 are all targets for the DCCC.

Uh, you're reaching with the Iraq vote when the issue was the environment.  Roll Eyes

You're right that that's the reason why Fitz went down but please notice that just because someone in neighboring district went down doesn't mean that you are going to go down, too. If Gerlach didn't get beaten over Iraq in 2006, why would he go down in 2008 because of that issue?

Dan Wofford was a weak candidate so please, please, please get him to run again.

A weak candidate?  He almost beat Gerlach in an awful year for Democrats.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2007, 01:00:47 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2007, 01:12:48 PM by MarkWarner08 »

A weak candidate?  He almost beat Gerlach in an awful year for Democrats.

49% when Democrats were losing seats in both chambers and Bush had a 60=% approval is a great showing. You're scared of his candidacy.

The reason you obsess over Gerlach is because he was the only targeted Republican left standing in the Keystone State in 2006.

You never answered by assertion about the Iraq War vote be a bad vote from him. Phil English is still vulnerable. Gerlach is still not being endorsed by the LCV.

The DCCC is still going to come after him. Nothing's changed for '08, except Gerlach won't have his same campaign team in place. They'll be busy helping Romney, McCain or Giuliani lose.

Your top candidates are either 72 years old, Mormon or  have had triple divorces. Giuliani was once married to his cousin of all people!

I care about beating Gerlach because he's out of touch with the 6th district. He's better fit Illinois's 6th, then Penn's 6th.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2007, 01:13:17 PM »

49% when Democrats were losing seats in both cahmbers asnd Bush had a 60=% approavla is a great showing. You're scared of his canidacay.

One thing I hate is when people insist that I am "scared" of someone's candidacy. Listen, here is the truth: You are frustrated that you can't beat Gerlach. My guy constantly wins the tough ones. Let Dan Wofford run so everyone can let a collective "Dan Who?"

I certainly don't obsess over him. In fact, the only time I talk about him is when people like yourself start foaming at the mouth over beating him. I would have had no other reason to talk about Gerlach if you guys just gave up.

Mark my words - You will not beat Jim Gerlach in 2008.

I don't care about his Iraq war vote. I agreed with him. Let it weaken him for the time being. No one will care that much in 2008.

Phil English is not vulnerable. The guy only got 54% because it was a bad year. Watch him come back and destroy whoever the joke is that you guys put up.

As for Gerlach not being endorsed by the LCV, who cares? I provided you with the one Pro Environment vote that you asked for and now you want to whine that that was a "fake" showing of support. Man, you are pathetic!

I know they'll target him. Taking money away from Pat Murphy and Jason Altmire will be music to my ears.

And do me a favor - don't get so cocky about your candidates for President in 2008. You had a good year in 2006. Don't let it get to your head (kind of like how we let 2004 get to our head on the GOP side).

Roll Eyes

If he was so out of touch, he would have been gone by now. Sorry, pal, but your obsession with PA 6 is going to bring another disappointment in two years.

By the way, where do you live? I find it hard to believe that someone can be so engrossed in all things related to this district if they don't live in PA.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2007, 01:39:11 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2007, 01:45:50 PM by MarkWarner08 »

49% when Democrats were losing seats in both chambers and Bush had a 60% approval is a great showing. You're scared of his candidacy.

One thing I hate is when people insist that I am "scared" of someone's candidacy. Listen, here is the truth: You are frustrated that you can't beat Gerlach. My guy constantly wins the tough ones. Let Dan Wofford run so everyone can let a collective "Dan Who?"

I certainly don't obsess over him. In fact, the only time I talk about him is when people like yourself start foaming at the mouth over beating him. I would have had no other reason to talk about Gerlach if you guys just gave up.

Mark my words - You will not beat Jim Gerlach in 2008.

I don't care about his Iraq war vote. I agreed with him. Let it weaken him for the time being. No one will care that much in 2008.

Phil English is not vulnerable. The guy only got 54% because it was a bad year. Watch him come back and destroy whoever the joke is that you guys put up.

As for Gerlach not being endorsed by the LCV, who cares? I provided you with the one Pro Environment vote that you asked for and now you want to whine that that was a "fake" showing of support. Man, you are pathetic!

I know they'll target him. Taking money away from Pat Murphy and Jason Altmire will be music to my ears.

And do me a favor - don't get so cocky about your candidates for President in 2008. You had a good year in 2006. Don't let it get to your head (kind of like how we let 2004 get to our head on the GOP side).

Roll Eyes

If he was so out of touch, he would have been gone by now. Sorry, pal, but your obsession with PA 6 is going to bring another disappointment in two years.

By the way, where do you live? I find it hard to believe that someone can be so engrossed in all things related to this district if they don't live in PA.

The fact remains that the only time Gerlach votes for the environment is when it doesn't matter. He voted against Stem Cell Research last year and he supports more oil drilling.

Stop making Gerlach seem like such a virtuous survivor. He had a 51% ceiling in a district that was created for him! Even Chuck Todd thinks it's pathetic he can't break 51%.

Gerlach faced an inexperience opponent in 2002 and a liberal better fit for PA-13 in '04 and '06. Gues what, 49% of people still wouldn't vote for Jim Gerlach.

Now that Wofford is more experienced ,he'll have better shot. Dinniman is a tough foe because he'll cut Gerlach's "base" in half.

2008 will see the end the Republican domination of America. You came to power in 2000 because the Democrats had abandoned their prcinples in the 1990's, leaving them vulnerable to a challenge from the left. Al Gore supported the trade deals that the Unions and Clinton backed welfare reform and the V-Chip. You impeached the "Democratic" President and your party dominated the political discourse.

In 2002, you had us on the run. Bush was popular and the Democrats were irrelevant. We nearly ran Dean who would have lost in a Mondale like landslide. Instead we ran Thurston Howell III who still won Pennsylvania.

Come 2006, the voters were finally sick of corruption, incompetence and a failed war. You lost the Congress you so desperately sought.

What did you do with your power during those 6 years? You created bloated government programs like NCLB and the Medicare disaster. You cut FEMA's budget and you did nothing to protect the ports. Bush may not be a fiscal conservative, but he's sure besmirched the good name of Conservatism.

The people in 2008 are looking for change. Not a 72 year old who flip-flops on Iraq, abortion, campaign finance and gay marriage.

Romney was great in 1994. But even Ted Kennedy saw through his charade and called him "multiple choice." He's been pro-choice, pro-life and ambivalent. He's also flip-flopped on fiscal issues. Mitt Romney's taken three sides on two sided issues.

Giuliani-- this guy was afraid of Hillary in 2000. He publicly divorced his wife without first telling her of his intentions. He was first a McGovernite, then a Reaganite, then a New York Liberal and now he's an opportunist. He and Romney should open up a waffle house.If you pick Giuliani, you'll get a 3rd party challenger. If you pick Romney or McCain, you'll lose the moderates. Either way, your party will lose because of Bush's stains on our democracy.

Your candidates are weak and they'll drag down Gerlach. I have relatives who live in the Keystone State and they are disgusted by Gerlach's rubber stamping antics. My Republican Aunt would not vote for Murphy in 2006 but she'll be part of the 0.6% at least who won't vote for Gerlach again. He's betrayed the middle class, the troops and our values. In two more years, yhe'll be packing his bags along with Dave Reichert, Deborah Pryce, Robin Hayes, Heather Wilson, Charlie Dent, Jim Walsh and more of the RINO's.

You should be happy that we're hunting down the last moderate Republicans. Now you're party can be exposed asthe party of Tim Wlaberg's, Bill Sali's, Don Sherwood's and Tom DeLay's.  The GOP stands for the CDlub for Growth, the party of economic, social or political growth. You'll soon be relegated to the South and the last bastions of evangelical strongholds.

Mark Kirk and Jim Gerlach are like the Dixiecrats, a dying breed. Once they're gone, you're party will be both morally and politically bankrupt.

Once the Democrats control the cities and the suburbs, they'll control America. In 45 years, 50%+ of America will be minority and the GOP will be further marginalized to the Old South. You can become the party of the Confederate Flag.  the Democrats are party of Lincoln We all remember who won that war.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2007, 01:46:40 PM »

The fact remains that the only time Gerlach votes for the environment is when it doesn't matter. He voted against Stem Cell Research last year and he supports more oil drilling.

Roll Eyes

I know the district was created for him but he's just not that personally popular. He is a "virtuous survivor" in the fact that you guys always claim that he is finished when he ends up winning. His victories frustrate you to no end and we love it!

Let 49% still vote against him for the rest of his career. Guess what?

51% still vote for him and he wins!

Gerlach has an established base. Dinniman has won one Special election. And how the hell is Wofford more experienced?

Oh...was that the end? Ok, what did you say? Sorry, straw man arguments put me to sleep.

Awwwwwww...boo hoo. I'm so glad that you have anti Gerlach relatives. That means this race is definitely flipping!

You have so much learning to do in life.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2007, 01:54:06 PM »

Re: PA-3, I believe Supersoulty said English isn't running again, so in that case the seat certainly is winnable and no doubt would be a target.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2007, 02:06:52 PM »

Re: PA-3, I believe Supersoulty said English isn't running again, so in that case the seat certainly is winnable and no doubt would be a target.

English most certainly is running again. The man ran for NRCC chairman just a few months ago. I doubt he would do a complete turnaround just because he lost his bid to be chairman.

And where the hell did Super say this? I know he is close to English but I don't remember him ever making a comment about discussing this with him.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2007, 02:16:46 PM »

6) It doesn't matter if the Senator cares, voters will.  Even if my friend is not the candidate, his being highly placed on anyone's staff is now a potnetial liability.  Lucky, Phil English does not care, but he is also retiring after this term.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2007, 02:18:42 PM »

English most certainly is running again. The man ran for NRCC chairman just a few months ago. I doubt he would do a complete turnaround just because he lost his bid to be chairman.

And where the hell did Super say this? I know he is close to English but I don't remember him ever making a comment about discussing this with him.

If Democrats  take PA-03, PA-06 and PA-15, they'll have a 14-5 majority in the House delegation. Imagine if you're GOP's pathetic gerrymandering plan causing Team Red to lose 7 House seats!

BTW, my relatives voted for Bush and Holden in 2000 and then Gerlach and  Fisher, Gerlach and Bush and  in 2006 they voted  Gerlach, Swann and Casey. They'll be voting for who the Democrats nominate because they are angry at Gerlach over his Iraq War vote.

This vote will be the vote that does him in. I can't wait to see the 30 second ad the D-Trip wil lrun against using this vote.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2007, 02:19:38 PM »

6) It doesn't matter if the Senator cares, voters will.  Even if my friend is not the candidate, his being highly placed on anyone's staff is now a potnetial liability.  Lucky, Phil English does not care, but he is also retiring after this term.

Another seat for the Democrats. If we can find a canidate in PA-15 and PA-06, we'll have 7 gains.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2007, 02:19:43 PM »

It still doesn't make sense though. At that time, English was running for NRCC chairman. I could see if Super posted this after he lost that bid but this was just two days after the election. English is running for re-election.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2007, 02:22:06 PM »

If Democrats  take PA-03, PA-06 and PA-15, they'll have a 14-5 majority in the House delegation. Imagine if you're GOP's pathetic gerrymandering plan causing Team Red to lose 7 House seats!

You won't take PA 3 or PA 6. Mark my words. As for the 15th, you'll have a tough fit but that's only if your top candidate even agrees to running.

Good for them.

Their ads of him and Bush, big oil, etc. wasn't enough in 2006. This meaningly resolution will have no impact in 2008.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2007, 02:23:03 PM »

Another seat for the Democrats.

Too bad English isn't retiring.

MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2007, 02:23:36 PM »

http://www.pottsmerc.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16985181&BRD=1674&PAG=461&dept_id=164632&rfi=6

Lois Murphy's campaign was a disaster and she still got 49% of the vote.  Considering that Democratic turnout was low because of the Rendell and Casey landslides, Gerlach should have won by a bigger margin. He's still the vulnerable member in congress. This time he won't have a GOP majority willing to do anything to save him.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2007, 02:25:57 PM »

You won't take PA 3 or PA 6. Mark my words. As for the 15th, you'll have a tough fit but that's only if your top candidate even agrees to running.

Good for them.

Their ads of him and Bush, big oil, etc. wasn't enough in 2006. This meaningly resolution will have no impact in 2008.

PA-03 was created to elect English. If he leaves, A Zack Space type Democrat will take the seat. PA-15 is all about recruiting. We get a  decent candidate, we win. Dent is a Republican, which means he probably can't win in a swing district. The only Republicans who are safe are people like Tim Murphy.  Even Murphy is in trouble now because of a scandal.

Imagine if we nabbed PA-18 too. Would the PA GOP go out of business?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2007, 02:27:40 PM »

This thread summarized:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »