The Hill: Van Hollen targeting N.J. seats, but state GOP officials unafraid
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 10:21:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Hill: Van Hollen targeting N.J. seats, but state GOP officials unafraid
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: The Hill: Van Hollen targeting N.J. seats, but state GOP officials unafraid  (Read 15954 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2007, 10:52:01 PM »

What do I know about Dinniman? I know he won 56-44 over some Republican you probably love.

Some Republican I probably love? I hardly know a thing about the lady that ran against him. I know we should have won but that's it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I have accepted the fact that there is no reason to worry for Gerlach especially after what I went through in 2006. I'm not afraid at all really. Let Dinniman run. It's going to be tough. Gerlach is more battle tested than Dinniman is.

You made that assinine point with Lois Murphy, too.

Being in the Majority party last year wasn't exactly a plus.

Dinniman isn't as amazing as you'd like him to be. We don't even know if he is definetley running either.

And you are a dope hack.

By the way, it's Gerlach, not Girlach.

And Gerlach was done in 2006, too. You are such a waste of time, kid.

And it's Fitzpatrick, not Fitzgerald.

We'll take both, thanks.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2007, 10:54:25 PM »

It looks like Jim's getting intimate with his boyfriend, W.

The people of the 6th are proud that Jim stands by our wonderful President.

I hope Gerlach will explain to the citizens of the 6th District we doesn't support the reforming the Alternative Minimum Tax. Must be because he's too cozy with his Big Oil buddies who don't care about middle class families.

Hilarious! Lois used one of those two pictures and the big oil and everything else with...well...everything in her campaign. I love how you use that as a point now as if it wasn't in 2006! And guess what...

Gerlach - 51%
Murphy - 49%

Get over it, kid.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2007, 10:59:53 PM »

What do I know about Dinniman? I know he won 56-44 over some Republican you probably love.

Some Republican I probably love? I hardly know a thing about the lady that ran against him. I know we should have won but that's it.

I have accepted the fact that there is no reason to worry for Gerlach especially after what I went through in 2006. I'm not afraid at all really. Let Dinniman run. It's going to be tough. Gerlach is more battle tested than Dinniman is.

You made that assinine point with Lois Murphy, too.

Being in the Majority party last year wasn't exactly a plus.

Dinniman isn't as amazing as you'd like him to be. We don't even know if he is definetley running either.

And you are a dope hack.

By the way, it's Gerlach, not Girlach.

And Gerlach was done in 2006, too. You are such a waste of time, kid.

And it's Fitzpatrick, not Fitzgerald.

We'll take both, thanks.

First off, Melissa Hart isn't running in 2008.

Secondly, did you see Murphy's campaign ads? She had an ad where she stared at her crotch and asked "what's going on down there?" She was going to lose, I was wrong about that race. I thought the wave would carry her incompetent ass to victory, I was wrong.

Your were wrong about Mike "Fitzgerald," Melissa Hart, Don Sherwood, Rick Santorum and Curt Weldon. I remember saying Weldwon was in trouble. You brushed me off as "ignorant." Who was right.

BTW, why has Gerlach's winning percentage gone DOWN every two years?

Really popular, huh? No refutations to my Ches. Co argument. If he loses or barely wins there, it's over for him.

Did Mitt Romney magically become principled? Did John McCain stop flip-flopping on everything. Did Rudy Giuiliani stop acting like a lberical. Oh right, Rick Santorum's out of job.

Isn't is tough to to be a conservative?  You have no leaders... You think Brownback will be your torchbearer? LOL
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »

It looks like Jim's getting intimate with his boyfriend, W.

The people of the 6th are proud that Jim stands by our wonderful President.

I hope Gerlach will explain to the citizens of the 6th District we doesn't support the reforming the Alternative Minimum Tax. Must be because he's too cozy with his Big Oil buddies who don't care about middle class families.

Hilarious! Lois used one of those two pictures and the big oil and everything else with...well...everything in her campaign. I love how you use that as a point now as if it wasn't in 2006! And guess what...

Gerlach - 51%
Murphy - 49%

Get over it, kid.

Did I forget the NRCC won't have as much money to save Jimmy boy?  Also, Jim's going to have trouble raising money from his corporate fat cat firends. They don't want a loser in Congress. They want someone in the winning party.

I bet you were sad when Fitzy lost to Murphy.

Murphy:50.3%!
Fitzpatrick: 49.7% LOL
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2007, 11:05:16 PM »

Tell that to Democrat Harold Volkmer of MO-09 in 1996.  He kept on narrowly scraping by his Republican opponents.  Even in 1994 he won.  But his opponent, Ken Volkmer, came back in 1996 and beat him.  Everybody assumed that if he didn't lose in 1994 he never will.  Well, he did.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2007, 11:05:20 PM »

I forgot to mention that  Tom Cole will be too busy trying to beat Boyda to care about Gerlach. He doesn't care about another Pennsylvania Republican.

Gerlach's going to be all alone... no top consultants, no NRCC welfare and less fund raising.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2007, 11:06:42 PM »

Tell that to Democrat Harold Volkmer of MO-09 in 1996.  He kept on narrowly scraping by his Republican opponents.  Even in 1994 he won.  But his opponent, Ken Volkmer, came back in 1996 and beat him.  Everybody assumed that if he didn't lose in 1994 he never will.  Well, he did.

Great example. BTW, his opponent was Kenny Hulshof. I think Gerlach is another Volkmer. Both Volkmer and Gerlach were out of touch with their districts.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2007, 11:23:21 PM »

First off, Melissa Hart isn't running in 2008.

Uh, first off, everyone here knows that she is. Secondly, if she isn't, why would you make the comment about winning back PA 4 with Hart in your last post? Stay consistent and brush up on PA politics. Making you look foolish is getting painful for me.

She also had ads, lit, big shots come in and make the Gerlach-Bush connection all the time. They used the pictures, the issues...everything was thrown at Gerlach. For some reason, though, you think you are so smart in pointing these things out now like they'll have a bigger impact in 2008 than they did in 2006.

Stop quoting "Fitzgerald." His name is Fitzpatrick. Also, I wasn't wrong on Sherwood or Weldon - please, again, take a look at the record and you'll note that I predicted that both of them would lose. I thought at first that Weldon wouldn't lose but that wasn't towards the final weeks when Sestak has the momentum and Weldon had the Feds raiding his offices. I said well before Election day that he would go down. Same with Sherwood. You still are ignorant since you jump to conclusions about my predictions.

He's not all that popular. I admit that. However, he still has a pretty strong hold on 51% of the voters. He might go down a few tenths of a percentage point every election but, at this rate, you'll beat him in 2014 or somewhere around there.

I never said he was really popular. Again, kid, you make things up and I win based on facts. Your Chester county argument is fine but your argument that Dinniman will win by huge margins is not.

Listen, you are clearly someone who follows this race from out of the area. That's fine. I do the same with other races. However, you are so blatantly ignorant when it comes to this topic.

One of the most classic hack arguments in forum history. Keep dreaming up a 2008 landslide!

And you want me to take your arguments seriously...?

I am not a Brownback fan but...uh...thanks for totally veering off topic. Shows what a loser you are when you lose yet another argument. Away with you, hack. I'll hear from you after Gerlach's 2008 victory speech.

"You watch! We'll get him in 2010! Gerlach is FINISHED!"
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2007, 11:44:30 PM »

Another great example, check out this Minnesota State House seat:

2002:
Republican    RAY COX    8865   50.06   
Democratic-Farmer-Labor    DAVID BLY    8819   49.81   
Write-In    WRITE-IN (TOTAL)    23   0.13   

2004:
Republican    RAY COX    11433   51.24   
Democratic-Farmer-Labor    DAVID BLY    10847   48.62   
Write-In    WRITE-IN**    32   0.14   

2006:
Republican    RAY COX    9233   49.80   
Democratic-Farmer-Labor    DAVID BLY    9293   50.12   
Write-In    WRITE-IN**    14   0.08

No doubt if Phil was Minnesotan he'd be saying in State Leg discussions "There's no way you'll beat Cox, forget it, he'll always get just over 50% but there is no way he can possibly ever lose."
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2007, 11:48:11 PM »

Great example. BTW, his opponent was Kenny Hulshof. I think Gerlach is another Volkmer. Both Volkmer and Gerlach were out of touch with their districts.

Gerlach is a moderate to conservative member. He is fine for PA 6.

No doubt if Phil was Minnesotan he'd be saying in State Leg discussions "There's no way you'll beat Cox, forget it, he'll always get just over 50% but there is no way he can possibly ever lose."

I look forward to proving you wrong in 2008.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2007, 11:55:42 PM »

I look forward to proving you wrong in 2008.

So what do you think about Ray Cox? Would've you been convinced he was unbeatable after 2004?

2004 was also a very bad year for Minnesota Republicans.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2007, 12:03:23 AM »

So what do you think about Ray Cox? Would've you been convinced he was unbeatable after 2004?

2004 was also a very bad year for Minnesota Republicans.

Don't know, don't care. Not everything is in terms of Minnesota, BRTD.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2007, 12:08:04 AM »

But this scenario is very similar to Gerlach's.

And on what issues is Gerlach moderate?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2007, 12:13:33 AM »

Gerlach has consistently held moderate views on taxes, stem cell research, the environment to name a few.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2007, 12:14:06 AM »

Volkmer was a pro-gun, pro-life Democrat, perfect for MO-09, but still lost.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2007, 12:16:58 AM »

Gerlach has consistently held moderate views on taxes, stem cell research, the environment to name a few.

His entire campaign basically was "Lois Murphy wants to raise taxes".
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2007, 12:18:11 AM »

Another great example, check out this Minnesota State House seat:

2002:
Republican    RAY COX    8865   50.06   
Democratic-Farmer-Labor    DAVID BLY    8819   49.81   
Write-In    WRITE-IN (TOTAL)    23   0.13   

2004:
Republican    RAY COX    11433   51.24   
Democratic-Farmer-Labor    DAVID BLY    10847   48.62   
Write-In    WRITE-IN**    32   0.14   

2006:
Republican    RAY COX    9233   49.80   
Democratic-Farmer-Labor    DAVID BLY    9293   50.12   
Write-In    WRITE-IN**    14   0.08

Another similar situation was Phil Kline and Bill Luther in MN-06 and MN-02.  Phil Kline ran against Bill Luther in MN-02 in 1998 and 2000 and lost.  After redistricting in 2001, Luther's home was placed a more Republican district(MN-02) and lost.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2007, 12:26:30 AM »

Correction:

In 2002, under the old lines of MN-06, the Republican versus Democrat vote was 59%-41% so Luther would have probably lost anyway.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2007, 12:48:13 AM »

John Kline.

The old 2nd and 6th districts were basically wiped out in redistricting. The 2nd was completely carved up, most of it going to the 1st and 7th, a small part going to the new 2nd, where Kennedy's home was. The old 6th was basically split evenly between the new 6th and 2nd. Kennedy opted to run in the new 6th district despite not living there and it containing only one county of the old 2nd district (Wright). Luther opted to run in the 2nd against Kline again in the interest of not pitting incumbents together. He should've done the 6th, while more Republican, it contained more territory in his old district than it did of Kennedy's.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2007, 01:10:57 AM »

Name one moderate vote on the environment or taxes? He opposes raising the AMT and he wasn't endorsed by any major environmental groups. Sure he supports Stem Cell research, but so many Republicans.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2007, 01:17:15 AM »

John Kline.

The old 2nd and 6th districts were basically wiped out in redistricting. The 2nd was completely carved up, most of it going to the 1st and 7th, a small part going to the new 2nd, where Kennedy's home was. The old 6th was basically split evenly between the new 6th and 2nd. Kennedy opted to run in the new 6th district despite not living there and it containing only one county of the old 2nd district (Wright). Luther opted to run in the 2nd against Kline again in the interest of not pitting incumbents together. He should've done the 6th, while more Republican, it contained more territory in his old district than it did of Kennedy's.

Do you think Luther would have beaten Kennedy in MN-06 in 2002?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2007, 01:25:55 AM »

Probably not, but he would've done better than that joke of a candidate we did put up. Luther should've ran in the 6th in 2006. He would've certainly done better than Wetterling and possibly won.

Kennedy's victory was a blessing in disguise though, without it he would've never launched his disasterous Senate campaign.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2007, 01:42:46 AM »

Probably not, but he would've done better than that joke of a candidate we did put up. Luther should've ran in the 6th in 2006. He would've certainly done better than Wetterling and possibly won.

Kennedy's victory was a blessing in disguise though, without it he would've never launched his disasterous Senate campaign.

He should run against Bachmann in 2008.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2007, 01:58:26 AM »

He's kind of a bit too washed up now. He ran for Attorney General under a strange set of circumstances. Basically we had a nominee who was really ethically challenged and it was discovered he actually paid for a private investigation of Mike Hatch for whatever reason and kept getting embroiled in scandal until he dropped out with literally less than 24 hours remaining before the filing deadline. He filed to run, as well as two other candidates, State Sen. Steve Kelley and Solicitor General Lori Swanson. Kelley won the endorsement, but Swanson ran a big campaign (with Hatch's assistance). Luther barely campaigned at all, and came in third. He only won one county (his home of Washington.)

The best candidate to take on Bachmann is probably the original guy who dropped out after Wetterling beat him at the convention, Elwyn Tinkelberg. He's the former mayor of Blaine (second largest city in the district), ordained United Methodist minister and pro-life and pro-gun. You probably need a pro-life candidate to take that district, which disqualifies Luther. (Those damn German Catholic areas around St. Cloud, the most annoying batch of swing voters...) St. Rep. Larry Hosch might be a good candidate too, he's a pro-life Democrat from that German Catholic area I mentioned who isn't even 30 yet.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2007, 02:50:53 AM »

He's kind of a bit too washed up now. He ran for Attorney General under a strange set of circumstances. Basically we had a nominee who was really ethically challenged and it was discovered he actually paid for a private investigation of Mike Hatch for whatever reason and kept getting embroiled in scandal until he dropped out with literally less than 24 hours remaining before the filing deadline. He filed to run, as well as two other candidates, State Sen. Steve Kelley and Solicitor General Lori Swanson. Kelley won the endorsement, but Swanson ran a big campaign (with Hatch's assistance). Luther barely campaigned at all, and came in third. He only won one county (his home of Washington.)

The best candidate to take on Bachmann is probably the original guy who dropped out after Wetterling beat him at the convention, Elwyn Tinkelberg. He's the former mayor of Blaine (second largest city in the district), ordained United Methodist minister and pro-life and pro-gun. You probably need a pro-life candidate to take that district, which disqualifies Luther. (Those damn German Catholic areas around St. Cloud, the most annoying batch of swing voters...) St. Rep. Larry Hosch might be a good candidate too, he's a pro-life Democrat from that German Catholic area I mentioned who isn't even 30 yet.

Yeah, Tinkelberg would be a good candidate.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies