Rudy endorsements are beginning to worry me...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:56:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Rudy endorsements are beginning to worry me...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Rudy endorsements are beginning to worry me...  (Read 3647 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2007, 12:09:38 PM »

Is it me or does it seem that McCain is moving very slowly and Rudy is picking up a lot of conservative endorsements?

I know it is very early and I still believe that McCain will get the nomination but Rudy is winning favor from notable conservatives. The latest endorsement for Giuliani is from Congressman Pete Sessions of Texas. McCain better get moving or this thing might slip away.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 12:19:28 PM »

I'd be worried to if I were a Republican since Rudy would fail gloriously in the general election, but as a Democrat I'll just laugh.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 12:21:36 PM »

I don't have any sort of tally, but just from reading the Hotline over the last few months, it seems like both McCain and Romney have a lot more endorsements from establishment types than Giuliani.  But then, there were some questions for a while about how serious Giuliani was about running.  Now that he's made it clear that he *is* running, the endorsements have picked up.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 12:22:39 PM »

Even I am moving to endorsement Guilliani, he is the only Republican who would win almost guaranteed and if he is willing to pretend to be a good conservative I can forget his past
skybridge
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 12:25:41 PM »

Rudy has yet to outdo Romney. I believe the Republican primaries will be faught between the two.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 12:26:36 PM »

speaking as a social conservative, McCain is as much of a risk as Rudy.

Rudy doesn't have the baggage of Iraq and hasn't spent the last 6 years making me mad.

Brownback may have a chance if Rudy or McCain don't swing right socially.  But Rudy and McCain seem willing to pander to social conservatives and social conservatives will trust Rudy more than McCain.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 12:28:56 PM »

social conservatives will trust Rudy more than McCain.

Not good at all. I am going to be very pissed.

Even I am moving to endorsement Guilliani, he is the only Republican who would win almost guaranteed and if he is willing to pretend to be a good conservative I can forget his past

Wrong and why are you so foolish?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 01:01:47 PM »

But Rudy and McCain seem willing to pander to social conservatives and social conservatives will trust Rudy more than McCain.

Most likely true if you're refering to social conservatives who follow politics closely.  However, I'm not yet convinced that that'll be the case among the rank and file.  Giuliani's record on social issues is much easier to attack in 30 second ads.  On the other hand, McCain's heresies against conservative doctrine tend to be a lot more complicated.  Conservatives' main beef with him is that they don't trust his instincts.  They think he's secretly a lot more liberal than his voting record suggests.  It's hard to convince people of that if they're not already convinced.  But it's easy to find clips of both Giuliani and Romney professing their social liberalism, which I assure you will be rerun endlessly on everyone's television screens next January.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 01:04:17 PM »

I said it yesterday, I'm almost convinced Rudy will win the nomination.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 01:13:39 PM »

I was beginning to get the same fear based on recent polls, Phil. FOX News reported last night that the McCain campaign will make an official announcement probably on March 12th. I think McCain may be letting all the other candidates announce, and then he can "drop the bomb" so to speak.

Fear not, my friend, I recieved an automated McCain 2008 email last night:
Early last week, Senator McCain headed to Texas where he announced a committee of 46 prominent backers, including former Senator Phil Gramm, former Governor Bill Clements, former Attorney General John Hill, San Antonio businessman Red McCombs, and Dallas Cowboys legend Roger Staubach.

Elsewhere in the country, the exploratory committee continued to make strides toward Senator McCain's presidential run last week, announcing new state leaders in Florida, Alabama, Michigan, Rhode Island, Connecticut and Ohio. Last Tuesday, Fred Smith, president and CEO of FedEx, joined the committee as a national co-chair.

This week is a busy one at McCain 2008. This coming Saturday, John McCain is traveling to Iowa for his first town hall appearance of this campaign. The campaign will also be rolling out a new website later this week. Please stay tuned for further details on the launch of the new site and the town hall on Saturday. Thank you again for your continued support of John McCain.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 01:44:21 PM »

I said it yesterday, I'm almost convinced Rudy will win the nomination.

You have a good grasp of things political as always, Nick.  Smiley
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 01:59:17 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2007, 02:01:22 PM by auburntiger »

Rudy's my second choice under Huckabee. As a social conservative, Rudy's stances do worry me a bit, but I am willing to sacrifice those for national security, which I think will Rudy's greatest strength if he is the nominee

I think Rudy is a better leader than McCain
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 02:04:48 PM »

I think Rudy is a better leader than McCain

McCain has been leading no one but himself over the last 6 years
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 02:05:04 PM »

Wrong and why are you so foolish?

Rudy has been consistently liberal but at least he is just going to pretend to be conservative and should stay that way because he wants to be reelected.  Aren't you supporting McCain?  The biggest pandering fool to walk the planet.  Would I rather Brownback or Tancredo?  Of course  Does Guiliani have the best chance?  You betcha
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »

Keystone Phil, why do you support McCain/loathe Rudy?  What about Romney?  How do you feel about him?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 03:05:39 PM »

Rudy has been consistently liberal but at least he is just going to pretend to be conservative and should stay that way because he wants to be reelected.  

You watch him pretend to be conservative.

Keystone Phil, why do you support McCain/loathe Rudy?  What about Romney?  How do you feel about him?

First off, I don't loathe Rudy. He is actually a political hero of mine in a number of areas but in terms of experience and his social views, I am unfavorable towards him. I wouldn't vote for him a Presidential primary.

I support McCain because while I have my differences with him, I like his stance on most of the issues and I believe he has enough experience to walk into the White House the very first day and know how to handle situations.

I can't stand Romney.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 04:37:24 PM »

rick santorum should endorse rudy.

rudy did go out of his way to campaign for that lost cause in 2006.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 04:38:39 PM »

Phil, I can give you every reason to vote for Rudy in the primary with one question.

Do you want Hillary Clinton or Barack Hussein Obama to be your next president?

There, that's all the reason you need.  Smiley
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 04:40:21 PM »

Rudy just did that to bribe Santorum NOT to endorse him in 2008 Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 04:54:03 PM »

McCain went out of his way to campaign for Santorum, too. If anything, Santorum would endorse Brownback (I'm pretty sure that those two are close friends. Santorum got him to convert to Catholicism). If he did endorse Rudy, for whatever reason, then that is his mistake.

Phil, I can give you every reason to vote for Rudy in the primary with one question.

Do you want Hillary Clinton or Barack Hussein Obama to be your next president?

There, that's all the reason you need.  Smiley

If he was the nominee running against either of those two, he'd have my support.

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2007, 05:05:56 PM »

McCain went out of his way to campaign for Santorum, too. If anything, Santorum would endorse Brownback (I'm pretty sure that those two are close friends. Santorum got him to convert to Catholicism). If he did endorse Rudy, for whatever reason, then that is his mistake.

Isn't Rudy also Catholic.  I think a Catholic heading the ticket would help the GOP.  My mind changes a lot, but I am starting to think the race for the GOP nomination is between Rudy and Brownback.

As far as Santorum goes - I just can't get over Santorum calling a press conference last summer and announcing that the US had found the WMD in Iraq we were looking for.  He lost my respect with that one incident.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2007, 05:13:07 PM »

Isn't Rudy also Catholic.  I think a Catholic heading the ticket would help the GOP.  My mind changes a lot, but I am starting to think the race for the GOP nomination is between Rudy and Brownback.

Good for him that he's Catholic. I don't care.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

February 14, 2006 - The meaningless Santorum attacks continue.

We're talking about him endorsing someone. No need to bring up, yet again, your problems with the guy.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2007, 05:16:58 PM »

Rudy wouldn't lose the South (minus AR and WV), they won't be voting for a Democrat anyway. The Northeast (minus PA and NH) won't be voting Republican.

Giuliani would definitely beat Hillary pretty good probably something like 330-340 range
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2007, 05:18:32 PM »

Rudy wouldn't lose the South (minus AR and WV), they won't be voting for a Democrat anyway. The Northeast (minus PA and NH) won't be voting Republican.

Giuliani would definitely beat Hillary pretty good probably something like 330-340 range

The hope is that Giuliani would bring states like CT and NJ close enough where the dems would have to expend considerable effort to keep them.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2007, 05:20:31 PM »

As far as Santorum goes - I just can't get over Santorum calling a press conference last summer and announcing that the US had found the WMD in Iraq we were looking for.  He lost my respect with that one incident.

February 14, 2006 - The meaningless Santorum attacks continue.

We're talking about him endorsing someone. No need to bring up, yet again, your problems with the guy.

Santorum's problems are relevant if he decides to endorse anyone since, at this point in time, a Santorum endorsement probably hurts more than it helps.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies