How much more aid should America give to Ukraine 🇺🇦?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 01:09:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  How much more aid should America give to Ukraine 🇺🇦?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How much more aid should America give to Ukraine 🇺🇦?  (Read 1148 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2022, 05:52:27 PM »

I think after winter, we should stop. How much more do they need? I believe that the weapons we give them should be enough, no offense.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 06:00:47 PM »

The western powers should provide as much assistance as necessary for Ukraine to push back to the pre-2014 boundaries. To do anything less would be to reward Putin for territorial conquest, which is what he's openly stated as his intention.

As for postwar reconstruction, as a taxpayer of a country that is sure to make big contributions, I would make any postwar reconstruction aid to Ukraine conditional on Ukraine's wealthy elite being either persuaded or forced to make their own contributions. That would give them a stake in the actual prosperity of their own country, guaranteeing the security of the investments made by the donor countries.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 06:04:35 PM »

If the goal of the defense budget is to protect American lives and interests across the world, this is the most efficient defense spending the country has done since the 1940s. There is zero reason to slow down military aid. Even the weapons we've already sent continually need new ammunition and, crucially, maintenance. Sending weapons and vehicles without that kind of follow up would be us making the exact same mistake that cost the Russians the early part of the war. As for the amounts, I'd defer to the people in the DoD whose job it is to determine these things. US intelligence has been on top of its game so far in this war; I assume they'll get this one right too.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 06:18:05 PM »

As much as is needed to keep Putin at the gates and prevent him from subjugating 41 million people and likely eventually breaking the NATO line.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 06:34:28 PM »

If the goal of the defense budget is to protect American lives and interests across the world, this is the most efficient defense spending the country has done since the 1940s. There is zero reason to slow down military aid. Even the weapons we've already sent continually need new ammunition and, crucially, maintenance. Sending weapons and vehicles without that kind of follow up would be us making the exact same mistake that cost the Russians the early part of the war. As for the amounts, I'd defer to the people in the DoD whose job it is to determine these things. US intelligence has been on top of its game so far in this war; I assume they'll get this one right too.
This
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 07:55:39 PM »

Putin needs to be stopped.

Keep in mind in ten years time, Putin will be in the Hague facing prosecution for his current aggression.
Isaak
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 08:04:55 PM »

Keep in mind in ten years time, Putin will be in the Hague facing prosecution for his current aggression.

Very unlikely. I would rather say that in ten years time, Putin will give a joint press conference with the 47th president of the US, talking about another reset of Russian-American relations. Then both will be heading to a state dinner.
CanadianDemocrat
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2022, 09:53:23 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2022, 09:59:24 PM by CanadianDemocrat »

Conservatives are supposed to respect borders and territorial sovereignty. Russia in the last 15 years has illegally violated the borders and sovereignty of Georgia in 2008, Ukraine in 2014 and again in 2022.

If Russia conquers Ukraine, then Poland and the Baltic states will be next.

HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2022, 10:38:50 PM »

abrams, apaches, B2 stealth bombers, nukes, plasma railguns, etc.

whatever it takes to wipe putin's sorry ass off the face of the planet
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2022, 12:14:50 AM »

I am firmly in the "whatever it takes" camp.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2022, 12:23:26 AM »

What's our military budget for if not for readiness to defeat one of two (2) potential near-peer adversary militaries in the world? At the cost of about 8% of our annual Pentagon budget this year, Ukraine has used our and our allies' tools and weapons to defang one of those two countries at the cost of essentially zero American life (minus a few volunteers) and great life expense of their own. People somehow think that the way to interpret this set of facts as us doing Ukraine a favor when really Ukraine's done us an extraordinary favor, at great suffering and expense to themselves. I'm all for opening the checkbook to Ukraine as long as Russia is fine with allowing colossal amounts of military resources to be destroyed for absolutely no reason. It's an incredible return on investment for the United States.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2022, 01:46:05 AM »

Very unlikely. I would rather say that in ten years time, Putin will give a joint press conference with the 47th president of the US, talking about another reset of Russian-American relations. Then both will be heading to a state dinner.

Have a read of the prosecution of General Augusto Pinochet.

Geoffrey Robertson KC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boU9LI8TviA

He has started a case against Vladimir Putin, and will ultimately see him in the dock. Don't believe me? Have a watch and see the amazing effect time has on these people like Putin. He is 90% confident that he will be handed over by a future Russian regime.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2022, 02:02:19 AM »

It's quite telling that many of the clowns who object to paying Ukraine to defeat our rivals for us are completely fine with spending $2 Trillion on a fighter jet that doesn't work.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2022, 06:29:15 AM »

I am firmly in the "whatever it takes" camp.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2022, 08:18:22 AM »

At the expense of Black Americans?
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2022, 08:52:39 AM »

Conservatives are supposed to respect borders and territorial sovereignty. Russia in the last 15 years has illegally violated the borders and sovereignty of Georgia in 2008, Ukraine in 2014 and again in 2022.

If Russia conquers Ukraine, then Poland and the Baltic states will be next.

Those countries are in NATO.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2022, 09:09:31 AM »

If even just some of the rumours about Putin's health have validity, he won't be around in 10 years.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2022, 11:24:22 AM »

America can send money to protect Ukraine's borders when it gets its own border under control and Chicago is not a war zone.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2022, 11:31:13 AM »

This is a Bronz rekly.
Logical

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2022, 11:58:00 AM »

If even just some of the rumours about Putin's health have validity, he won't be around in 10 years.
I do not believe most of the rumors but I do know that Putin is not behaving or thinking like someone who has 10 more years in him.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2022, 04:07:17 PM »

If I were president, I'd cut the aid.

You can't have angry Black Americans who want reparations, a migrant crisis and a economic wage gap and push aid to Ukraine
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2022, 04:19:26 PM »

I do not believe most of the rumors but I do know that Putin is not behaving or thinking like someone who has 10 more years in him.

Let’s go with that.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2022, 04:57:29 PM »

If you've already given people guns, you should give them the ammo so they can use them.
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2022, 05:28:12 PM »

It's all already been said. One of the main purposes of American defense spending is to protect against Russia. There is no better way of doing so than funding and supplying Ukraine, which is doing an excellent job of weakening Russia. If Putin wants another 1600 of his tanks blown up and more of his flagships sunk, America should happily contribute to that. Ukraine aid produces more benefit, dollar-for-dollar, than practically any other part of the defense budget.

We can still spend money on other things too, by the way. This isn't a choice between welfare and Ukraine. $45 billion out of a $1700 budget really isn't that much.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2022, 07:00:39 PM »

race isnt real bro the man made it up to divide the sheeple
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies