Scandal in the Wind 2023. George Santos gets Sashayed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:24:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Scandal in the Wind 2023. George Santos gets Sashayed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37
Author Topic: Scandal in the Wind 2023. George Santos gets Sashayed  (Read 37296 times)
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: December 01, 2023, 01:38:53 PM »

He is innocent until proven guilty, we shouldn't be expelling people without due process.
They aren't even trying to expel him for his legal crimes. Like fruad, writing bad checks, stealing campaign money, etc.

They want to expel him because he is a clown who lied about...

-His mom dying on 9/11
-His grandmother being a holocaust victim
-Being Jewish
-Going to a prestigious high school he NEVER went to. In reality he barely got his GED
-He was a star vollyball player Baruch college. He never went to ANY college
-Starting an animal charity
-About being the first gay republican married to a man. He NEVER married a man. Only a woman
-Claimed he was an extra on the children's show "Hanna Montana"
-Had friends who died at Pulse
-Not being a drag queen

Like, how are folks on this forum defending this guy? There is no doubt in my mind that if Republicans had a larger minority he would have been expelled months ago. 78% of people in his district want him gone

Lying is not a crime.
He is out!
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #876 on: December 01, 2023, 01:39:23 PM »

He is innocent until proven guilty, we shouldn't be expelling people without due process.
Do you think he should not have been expelled?
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #877 on: December 01, 2023, 01:58:19 PM »

The majority of Republicans didn't want to lose a House seat.
Perhaps that is why they voted the way that they did, but who really knows.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #878 on: December 01, 2023, 02:18:33 PM »

Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #879 on: December 01, 2023, 02:26:08 PM »

“Homophobic house republicans vote to expel only gay member”
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #880 on: December 01, 2023, 02:52:51 PM »

Suozzi might be slightly favored initially, but he definitely should not take it for granted. I think the Republican trend on Long Island is very real and not just a byproduct of Zeldin's strong campaign/home region effect.

Any Democrat would beat any Republican in a special election in that seat by 20 points.

I don't think Republicans would ever win it again for another 10-15 years given that Democrats will gerrymander it hard.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #881 on: December 01, 2023, 03:16:33 PM »

Suozzi might be slightly favored initially, but he definitely should not take it for granted. I think the Republican trend on Long Island is very real and not just a byproduct of Zeldin's strong campaign/home region effect.

Any Democrat would beat any Republican in a special election in that seat by 20 points.

I don't think Republicans would ever win it again for another 10-15 years given that Democrats will gerrymander it hard.

Biden only won it by 8. And a Gerrymander might not happen or even be as strong as the Hochulmander was.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #882 on: December 01, 2023, 03:42:53 PM »

Biden only won it by 8. And a Gerrymander might not happen or even be as strong as the Hochulmander was.

The average overperformance of Democrats is 10 points, that gives them even odds they win it by 18.

It's why Democrats wanted to get rid of Santos with a Special Election.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #883 on: December 01, 2023, 03:46:14 PM »

The average overperformance of Democrats is 10 points, that gives them even odds they win it by 18.

Democratic overperformance is not universal. Pretty much without exception, Nassau (and Suffolk) Democrats have done horribly since Biden took office.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #884 on: December 01, 2023, 03:48:33 PM »

Democratic overperformance is not universal. Pretty much without exception, Nassau (and Suffolk) Democrats have done horribly since Biden took office.

This will be an obscure special on a random Tuesday, not a presidential or even midterm electorate.

By New York standards turnout will probably be lower than 20%.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #885 on: December 01, 2023, 03:54:52 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2023, 03:57:59 PM by Roll Roons »

This will be an obscure special on a random Tuesday, not a presidential or even midterm electorate.

It won't be "obscure". In fact, it will almost certainly get a lot of media coverage. As far as turnout goes, 2021 and 2023 had just county and municipal offices on the ballot. There were no statewide, legislative or congressional races on the ballot and there were no major initiative or referendum in either year. The turnout in this race will at least match, and probably exceed, that in the odd years.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #886 on: December 01, 2023, 04:20:27 PM »

It won't be "obscure". In fact, it will almost certainly get a lot of media coverage. As far as turnout goes, 2021 and 2023 had just county and municipal offices on the ballot. There were no statewide, legislative or congressional races on the ballot and there were no major initiative or referendum in either year. The turnout in this race will at least match, and probably exceed, that in the odd years.

Ok which day is the special ? Don't cheat by searching it on the internet.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #887 on: December 01, 2023, 04:26:08 PM »

Ok which day is the special ? Don't cheat by searching it on the internet.

It hasn’t been scheduled yet, but sometime in February.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #888 on: December 01, 2023, 05:06:40 PM »

I would say that this ruined Santos' Christmas, but is it possible to be miserable during the holiday season when you're rolling in royalty checks as the writer of both the Charlie Brown Christmas special and Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You?"
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #889 on: December 01, 2023, 05:39:44 PM »

They aren't even trying to expel him for his legal crimes. Like fruad, writing bad checks, stealing campaign money, etc.

They want to expel him because he is a clown who lied about...

-His mom dying on 9/11
-His grandmother being a holocaust victim
-Being Jewish
-Going to a prestigious high school he NEVER went to. In reality he barely got his GED
-He was a star vollyball player Baruch college. He never went to ANY college
-Starting an animal charity
-About being the first gay republican married to a man. He NEVER married a man. Only a woman
-Claimed he was an extra on the children's show "Hanna Montana"
-Had friends who died at Pulse
-Not being a drag queen

Like, how are folks on this forum defending this guy? There is no doubt in my mind that if Republicans had a larger minority he would have been expelled months ago. 78% of people in his district want him gone
If Santos deserves to be expelled because he lied, so do all members of congress.
How do you feel now that he is out?

I don't expect anything less from the corrupt congress.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #890 on: December 01, 2023, 07:57:46 PM »

Nikema Williams on why she was one of two Democrats who voted against expelling him. I am legitimately stupider for having read this.
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #891 on: December 01, 2023, 08:36:00 PM »

Nikema Williams on why she was one of two Democrats who voted against expelling him. I am legitimately stupider for having read this.

Williams is getting deservedly dogpiled by her constituents for this vote. Really not sure what her calculation was here, but I am very surprised.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #892 on: December 01, 2023, 09:10:43 PM »

All I will say is that it is truly a dark day in America when a successful businessman, star volleyball player, war hero, 9/11 survivor, Founding Father, and first man on the Moon is expelled from Congress for political disagreements.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #893 on: December 01, 2023, 10:26:34 PM »

Williams is getting deservedly dogpiled by her constituents for this vote. Really not sure what her calculation was here, but I am very surprised.

Legitimately accelerationism.

Even though Santos had said he will resign, she wants his stench to be there for the 2024 New York elections.  But that's hard to convey in a way that makes sense or is understandable beyond pure partisan gain.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #894 on: December 01, 2023, 10:36:11 PM »

But that's hard to convey in a way that makes sense or is understandable beyond pure partisan gain.

Hmm are we sure she doesn’t post on Atlas? /s
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #895 on: December 02, 2023, 04:15:35 AM »

Why I believe this race is no better than a toss-up for Democrats:

1. This is not the same NY-03 seat it was in 2020. Democrats have not had a good election cycle in Long Island since that year, and there’s a strong possibility even Trump is going to carry it next year. The Siena polls show Biden winning the suburbs by the same margin Schumer did when he lost NY-03 by 4 points.
2. Tom Suozzi, while not a weak candidate, isn’t some electoral juggernaut. He has a history of losing elections, i.e. the 2009 County Executive race one year after Obama won it, went nowhere in his gubernatorial bid, and generally always runs about even with the top of the ticket in his congressional elections. He’s not exactly someone who can outperform fundamentals.
3. Even the strongest candidates eventually stop being so strong. Chuck Schumer went from landslide victories in the state to only winning re-election by 14% in 2022. Sean Patrick Maloney always overperformed in his old seat, only to lose a Biden+10 seat in 2022. Outside of NY, just two years ago, a Democrat with universal name recognition running for his old job in a Biden+10 state lost to a political newcomer.
4. It’s not a guarantee Democrats will enjoy the turnout and organizational advantages they have in other states, given the strength of the NY GOP and weakness of the NY Dems.
5. The issues that work for Democrats elsewhere in the country won’t work in NY to the same extent. Abortion rights are not seriously threatened in NY. Meanwhile crime is an albatross around Dems’ neck in the state.
6. Israel as an issue seems to benefit Republicans here. NY-03 is a staunchly pro-Israel district, and the Squad will do Suozzi no favors. And his opponent might be a literal Israeli Defense Forces veteran, and what Biden-Zeldin voter would want to vote against that?
7. Because Republicans pushed Santos out, this makes it difficult to attack Republicans on him.

TLDR: This race is not a slam dunk for Democrats, and looking at the race as “Long Island’s most famous Democrat running to reclaim Biden+8 seat after GOP scandal” is intellectually dishonest.

The reasons Republicans felt OK expelling Santos is because they really like their odds in a special, even against Suozzi.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #896 on: December 02, 2023, 07:07:15 PM »

Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #897 on: December 03, 2023, 01:19:56 AM »

Suozzi is a good fit for the seat, but the GOP has been dominant in Long Island since 2020.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #898 on: December 03, 2023, 09:43:13 AM »

Suozzi is a good fit for the seat, but the GOP has been dominant in Long Island since 2020.

He's a way stronger candidate than Zimmerman but he's probably not any significantly stronger than Schumer, who lost the seat in 2022.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #899 on: December 03, 2023, 10:28:22 AM »

It is simultaneously true that Republicans have a uniquely strong and well-organized machine on Long Island, and that Democrats' recent troubles in the region are largely driven by turnout.

This dynamic points to a very competitive special election.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies