Most socially liberal Deep South state?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:15:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Most socially liberal Deep South state?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Most socially liberal Deep South state?
Alabama
Arkansas
Mississippi
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Most socially liberal Deep South state?  (Read 847 times)
SaneDemocrat

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2022, 08:44:25 PM »

I excluded Louisiana
pikachu
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 09:06:41 PM »

Georgia.

Oklahoma isn't Deep South at all and Arkansas is iffy, though there's more of an argument there.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 09:24:27 PM »

Of the options listed, probably SC as there are small but growing pockets of white liberals in Charleston and Columbia. Furthermore, it's the state where Ds overperform black-white racial stats the most.

Also as the person above said, OK is not a "deep south" state culturally or historically. "Deep South" usually refers to states in the southeast US that were part of the Confederacy during the civil war, have long histories of racism, and have notable black populations today outside just the major cities.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 10:26:43 PM »

Louisiana vs South Carolina would've been a close call
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 10:51:50 PM »

Louisiana is far more racially polarized than South Carolina, the only exception being the immediate downtown of New Orleans.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2022, 12:11:14 AM »

Louisiana is far more racially polarized than South Carolina, the only exception being the immediate downtown of New Orleans.

You talk a big talk.  Louisiana has elected many more Democrats to statewide office, as of late. 
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2022, 12:30:54 AM »

You talk a big talk.  Louisiana has elected many more Democrats to statewide office, as of late. 

That's fair, but does that make them more *socially* liberal? I mean heck, MA currently had a Republican governor but does that make them more socially conservative than nearby ME?

In a normal federal election, Louisiana tends to be about 5 points to the right of SC, and LA is just deeper south than SC. The consensus is that both GA and NC have been culturally changing in this regard and I'd argue SC is as well, it's just not talked about as much given SC is still functionally safe R.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2022, 12:36:58 AM »

The answer is georgia, idk why it isn’t an ootion
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2022, 01:06:51 AM »

Georgia. And Louisiana may be (outside of New Orleans) the most socially conservative. Even many Black Democratic officials are pro-life, for example. BTW, JBE - too.....
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2022, 08:25:15 AM »

Why is Georgia not included? Barring that I guess I'd say Mississippi.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2022, 10:50:12 AM »

That's fair, but does that make them more *socially* liberal? I mean heck, MA currently had a Republican governor but does that make them more socially conservative than nearby ME?

In a normal federal election, Louisiana tends to be about 5 points to the right of SC, and LA is just deeper south than SC. The consensus is that both GA and NC have been culturally changing in this regard and I'd argue SC is as well, it's just not talked about as much given SC is still functionally safe R.

Your comment was that Louisiana is more racially polarized than South Carolina, but White voters in Louisiana have more recently proven themselves willing to support Democrats than White voters in South Carolina have. 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2022, 11:17:39 AM »

The "Deep South" really isn't the "Deep South" anymore. There really should be a way to differentiate GA, VA, NC, and to a smaller extent FL, TX, and SC versus OK, LA, AR, MS, AL, TN, KY, and WV.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2022, 12:05:31 PM »

Excluding Georgia because of Atlanta and Oklahoma because it's not Deep Southern, interestingly enough, Gallup found that in 2015-2016, about 1% more adults identified as LGBT in Mississippi than in Arkansas, Alabama, or South Carolina. Granted, that's according to a map on Google Images from a site I can't load because I just started an overtime shift at work and I'm out of cellular data, so someone tell me if it's junk. Tongue

https://prosuzy.com/2017/02/gallup-poll-reveals-states-highest-lgbt-population/
SlavicOrthodoxWolf
Rookie
Kazakhstan

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2022, 01:14:18 PM »

The "Deep South" really isn't the "Deep South" anymore. There really should be a way to differentiate GA, VA, NC, and to a smaller extent FL, TX, and SC versus OK, LA, AR, MS, AL, TN, KY, and WV.

I'd call that the bourgeois South vs. the proletarian South
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2022, 01:26:39 PM »

Alabama does have one notably very socially liberal city with Birmingham although that's actually still a pretty small portion of the state population. And South Carolina has Charleston and Columbia, so I guess that gets it. Excluding Georgia makes no sense though.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2022, 04:17:18 PM »

Yes, but the question was about social liberalism.  The Dem governor and ~half of the Dems in the state legislature in Louisiana are 100% pro-life.  There weren't enough 100% pro-life Republicans in South Carolina to pass a total abortion ban with a massive trifecta.   
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies