What is the most socially liberal Midwestern state?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:39:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What is the most socially liberal Midwestern state?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is the most socially liberal Midwestern state?
Michigan
Minnesota
Pennsylvania
Wisconsin
Iowa
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: What is the most socially liberal Midwestern state?  (Read 771 times)
SaneDemocrat

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2022, 06:50:53 PM »

Thoughts?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 06:53:48 PM »

Probably Minnesota.

And I must say, I'm surprised to see a Pennsylvania poster who considers their state "Midwestern." I would disagree, but even if it was part of that region I still wouldn't see it as the answer to this question.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 07:12:41 PM »

The one that Biden won by 7 points and the only one of the group that went D in 2016.
SaneDemocrat

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 08:41:17 PM »

Minnesota
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 09:44:13 PM »

MSP is the defintion of liberal whites, and the metro area is basically half the state if not more. This is an easy choice.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2022, 11:26:49 PM »

The hilarious thing is you check out Reddit (yeah never a good source for political observations, I know that), many there seem to believe that Minnesota is actually the most prudish and conservative of these states because of our (not even all that strict anymore!) alcohol and blue laws even though the reason those stuck around for so long isn't even because of social conservative but business and labor interests (also we legalized Sunday liquor sales six years ago now, can you neckbeards finally STFU about it?) and that it's OBVIOUSLY going to be the last state to fully legalize weed no matter what the current leaders say and some have even flat out said Alabama and Utah are going to before us...and the fact that we're currently the only state that's selling THC products in places like grocery stores and movie theaters doesn't count because that's not "real weed" and besides it's far too weak because obviously your average person needs 100mg to get high and never could off the 5mg edibles currently allowed....also watch as how half the posters there get deeply triggered at any mention of the currently legal products because they're stupid because we should just fully legalize weed anyway so anyone who sells/uses them is clearly some sort of weed-hating Karen (yes the logic does seriously flow that using weaker THC products is more anti-THC than people who don't use them at all, try figuring that one out.)

Reddit stoners are seriously the dumbest f[inks]ing morons I've ever encountered, it's a very good thing they're not more publicly visible and aren't the driving force behind actual marijuana legalization initiatives because any interaction with those mouth breathers probably would make a convincing argument that marijuana is brain-killing and harmful.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2022, 12:09:55 AM »

Is Illinois suddenly not in the Midwest?  lmao
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2022, 12:50:29 AM »

Minnesota
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2022, 05:05:31 PM »

Probably Minnesota.

And I must say, I'm surprised to see a Pennsylvania poster who considers their state "Midwestern." I would disagree, but even if it was part of that region I still wouldn't see it as the answer to this question.

The Pittsburgh/Erie part that is clearly west of the high mountains is reasonably Midwestern, and it's quite a meaningful % of the statewide vote. 
ctherainbow
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -5.57

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2022, 05:12:42 AM »

Easily Minnesota. 

Pennsylvania as a state is not Midwestern; if anything, the relevant question is whether we’re Northeastern or Mid-Atlantic.  The majority of the state’s population lives east of the Appalachians, and frankly the culture doesn’t start feeling remotely Midwestern until you hit a strip of counties that’s about 2-3 wide on the west end of the state.

As it applies to this thread, the portion of PA that could be seen as “Midwestern”, does not have significantly sized socially progressive communities outside of downtown Pittsburgh and some of the college precincts.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2022, 11:06:50 AM »

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2022, 11:11:36 AM »

Why of these, the home state of Harry Blackmun and Sinclair Lewis, of course.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies