Should any Democrat run against Kamala Harris in 2028?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:53:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Should any Democrat run against Kamala Harris in 2028?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Should any Democrat run against Kamala Harris in 2028?  (Read 877 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 16, 2022, 09:06:10 PM »

Vice President Kamala Harris is widely expected to run for president for a second time in 2024, most likely 2028....if Biden-Harris wins reelection.

The optics of running against the incumbent Black female vice president does not look good, and I am sure Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's strategists are telling her this.

A white woman vs. the First Black female vice president? It would make Hillary v. Obama and Bernie v. Hillary look like child's play...

Vice President Harris has a built-in advantage: Black women voters, the South, and the establishment money.....

Why would any Democrat want to go down like that? She can be beat, but the optics don't look good....
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 10:26:03 PM »

Harris is going to go in with an advantage, but I think that 2016 burned a lot of Democrats on the prospect of nominating someone just because it's "their turn".
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 12:09:14 PM »

If her favorables are still in the toilet, yes.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 06:18:14 PM »

Whitmer ought to, but given 2028 will most likely be a GOP year if Biden wins in 2024 she will more than likely wait until 2032.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2022, 01:17:24 PM »

Harris is going to go in with an advantage, but I think that 2016 burned a lot of Democrats on the prospect of nominating someone just because it's "their turn".

Yeah, I'm hoping the party learned its lesson from that cycle. Besides, Harris having to fight through a competitive primary can only help her.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2022, 02:12:45 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2022, 03:24:08 AM by Interlocutor »

I really hope someone runs and think some will. Personal feelings aside, I think a coronation would be a big detriment for her and whoever the leading Democrat is in 2028. Not only cause it's healthy, but I'd rather the nominee be battle tested in March than October.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 10:57:52 AM »

I think 2016 showed us how much trying to avoid a competitive primary can backfire. But even outside of that, I think a competitive primary can be a good thing in terms of preparing both the candidate and the party for the general.

Also, unlike in 2016, I don't think either Biden or Harris have the pull within the party to prevent other major candidates from entering the race (Bernie ultimately made it competitive, but party leaders didn't expect that). Though I'm sure there would be some outraged think pieces about challenging an African-American woman when it's "her turn".
the artist formerly known as catmusic
schnittdoodle
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 09:58:51 PM »

Absolutely. I think there are far better choices for winning that election than her. And competitive primaries are generally a good thing - forces people to clarify their stance on big issues, have their beliefs challenged, have to speak to the public more frequently...these are all good things, and it's not "divisive" to want that in any election.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 07:00:36 AM »

Absolutely, if Harris wants to be president she has to be able to win a competitive primary. Bernie didn't hurt Hillary in 2016, he just revealed her obvious weaknesses as a candidate.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 05:13:13 PM »

Harris is not owed anything, frankly she needs more than identity politics to run on. The more Biden gets stuff done, the more it helps her run on her record instead.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 08:55:15 PM »

Yeah.  If she's a weak candidate, take her out before the general election.  If Harris survives a tough primary challenge, maybe that would make her stronger.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies