LGC 11.6 — Ending Modern 21st Century Segregation Act — PASSED
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:45:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LGC 11.6 — Ending Modern 21st Century Segregation Act — PASSED
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LGC 11.6 — Ending Modern 21st Century Segregation Act — PASSED  (Read 206 times)
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 16, 2022, 03:33:50 PM »
« edited: December 22, 2022, 01:55:51 PM by LGC Speaker ZMUN M441 »

Ending Modern 21st Century Segregation Act

Section I - Title
This bill may be cited as Ending Modern 21st Century Segregation Act

Section II - Ending Modern 21st Century Segregation Act
1. Schools will be outlawed to divide their students based on a mental disorder or special needs or intellectual capabilities.
2. Schools designed to specifically solely help students with special needs or a disability will be closed or reformed into a general school.
3. All schools will be required to have accomodation that suits all possible pupils.
4. Schools no longer have the choice to reject a pupil, or to ban a pupil, with the following exception
a. if the parents or guardian voluntarily chooses to leave the school, however the parent or guardian need to be in agreement with the compulsory school attending law.
b. if a school believes a student peer abuses another student, they have the right to remove them from the school, however this will automatically start a court case that needs to prove the peer abuse took place.
5. Schools are no longer required to offer accomodation based on any of the DSM disorders, instead we prefer a different approach that start
a. from general wellbeing of the student itself and how a school or accompanist can be of help of said student.
6. Students can no longer be rejected based on financial demands
a. This applies to higher and university schools, including private universities
b. universities will ensure there is enough place to accomodate every possible student, this could require fusion with other universities or other buildings.
7. Schools will actively focus more generally on mental wellbeing, and focus on group events that
a. focus on awareness of mental health issues
b. focus on inclusion of students
c. see inclusion as an important value for students
8. Schools recognize that every student is a unique individual with talents.

Section III - Effective Date
This legislation shall take effect on 1 January 2023.

Occupying: Slot 6 of 10
Sponsor: Lakigigar
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 03:46:06 PM »

In short, this act tries to eliminate schools for special needs or "special schools", which might sound controversial to some, but I truly believe that a society that tries to aim for full inclusivity should not divide children based on "special needs", and that it would tell something about a society how it treats those.

In Belgium for example 6% of students are in special education system, while in Italy this number is 0,03%. Both are on extreme ends in Europe when it comes to percentage of pupils in a special education and divided by that. Both have a completely public school system tho. Recently, it was also shown that students are still likely to be bullied in special education, and controversies with teachers bullying kids repeatedly in special education systems have also been covered in the news recently. So i don't think "special education" succeeds in providing students of some kind of protection from society, in which it tries to do.

Secondly, and i'm an example of this, i don't believe kids are ready to be divided at the age of 6 or 7 into a regular or special school system. I for example had to go to special education, but given there was no space in such a system, i had to be temporarily in a regular education system. I eventually ended up doing well and above expectations which allowed me to complete the trajectory. I think it's a myth to think that people cannot do fine in a regular system. I think it's way to preliminary to divide people already at such a young age. And I think you take chances of people already away at a very young age: the chances to develop talents, to have a career, to be succesful in life and not carry a label for the rest of their life.

Thirdly, in a system with schools with special education, you have the additional complexity of ensuring there is enough space and room to provide place for all students with special needs in a special education causing trouble that way. I think it is way more beneficial to provide normal schools with the tools, the coaching and so on to ensure that "children with special needs" can just go to a normal school, and not be divided from their friends and neighbors at a very young age, because someone thinks they're not capable or fit or normal enough to go to a normal school.

I don't believe in special education. Schools should do more to provide inclusivity for every student and to ensure that every pupil can perceive school as a place they feel safe in and well surrounded.

FYI: This act was already proposed before but as a part of a larger act which I now did split to improve chances of it passing while i reworked the other part in a different act I proposed.

ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 05:10:22 PM »

Motioning for a final vote.
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 05:27:15 PM »

A final vote on this bill has been initiated.

Aye
nerd73
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -7.83

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 05:51:08 PM »

Aye
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 05:55:29 PM »

Aye
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 11:11:33 PM »

Aye
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2022, 11:19:06 PM »

Aye
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2022, 11:19:56 PM »

LGC 11.6 passes, 5-0
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2022, 11:41:47 AM »

x tack50

Normally I would veto this, as I feel that while it's preferrable that people with special needs go into general classrooms, a blanket ban is too much. However given this passed unanimously a veto would be pointless so...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies