What counts as a Yankee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:58:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What counts as a Yankee
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What counts as a Yankee  (Read 592 times)
Builder Refused
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 15, 2022, 01:08:33 AM »

My opinion is not Kentucky Tennessee West Virginia or Ohio
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 02:35:29 AM »

I posted this in another thread but it depends on who you ask.

A Non-American: Any American

A Southerner: Anyone from the North, usually with an expletive attached.

Kevin Phillips: An American of English descent, whose ancestors first settled in New England before spreading out across the Northern states in the early to mid 19th century. Typically of a Congressionalist or low church protestant denomination.

Rather anti-Catholic, prone to nativism and cultural imperialism, but also tended to favor equality (at least before the law if not generally) and thus their opposition to slavery. There is a tendency towards labeling the whole group as "proto-marxists", which is an over generalization at best. The vast majority were very much on board with capitalism, especially the pro-business nationalism of the Federalist, Whig and GOP Republican Parties. They also defined the American middle class with their values (mainly because they had one of the highest concentrations of middle class wealth at the time and the Northern industrial states were the only region that could support a large middle class at the time.

Most white northerners have mixed ancestry and the tendency of people of mixed German descent to opt for identifying as German-American, and likewise for those of Irish descent, means that "Yankees" as defined by Phillips, have largely been squeezed out demographically and barely exist as a distinct population.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2022, 02:47:34 AM »

Outside of rural New England and Utah (mostly Mormons - who originated in Upstate NY and are their own thing really), there are few people of wholly English ancestry anymore.  They're not really a distinctive group anymore.  I don't know if anyone - except older WASP New Englanders maybe - would identify as a Yankee today.
Builder Refused
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2022, 05:09:30 AM »

I posted this in another thread but it depends on who you ask.

A Non-American: Any American

A Southerner: Anyone from the North, usually with an expletive attached.

Kevin Phillips: An American of English descent, whose ancestors first settled in New England before spreading out across the Northern states in the early to mid 19th century. Typically of a Congressionalist or low church protestant denomination.

Rather anti-Catholic, prone to nativism and cultural imperialism, but also tended to favor equality (at least before the law if not generally) and thus their opposition to slavery. There is a tendency towards labeling the whole group as "proto-marxists", which is an over generalization at best. The vast majority were very much on board with capitalism, especially the pro-business nationalism of the Federalist, Whig and GOP Republican Parties. They also defined the American middle class with their values (mainly because they had one of the highest concentrations of middle class wealth at the time and the Northern industrial states were the only region that could support a large middle class at the time.

Most white northerners have mixed ancestry and the tendency of people of mixed German descent to opt for identifying as German-American, and likewise for those of Irish descent, means that "Yankees" as defined by Phillips, have largely been squeezed out demographically and barely exist as a distinct population.
So like, this reminds me a lot of pre aughts media like: The Big Chill, that one movie where Elijah Wood is electrocuted, that movie where Michael Douglas is an English professor. Very genteel, cool headed families. I feel like Protestants more generally count as this, like Plains Scandinavians such as Thorstein Veblen or my grandma who has largely Scotch Irish heritage. I’d imagine you can recognize these people by a type of smarminess and decorum, which makes them distinctly Northeastern, because midwesterners historically dealt more with sand than with people

Area wise I wonder where Northeasterners moved into the Midwest. Like for instance the Connecticut reserve. Those areas would make them basically the 19th century correlate of the rural white vote, as the urban non white vote is a parallel for Catholic and Orthodox whites.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2022, 08:58:44 AM »

Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2022, 09:35:46 AM »

All y’all not from the south
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2022, 09:59:25 AM »

To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.
To Americans, a Yankee is a northerner.
To northerners, a Yankee is an easterner.
To easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.
To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter.
And in Vermont, a Yankee is someone who eats cherry pie for breakfast.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2022, 10:00:31 AM »

A person of British descent living in New England or a person of British descent whose family originally lived in New England.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2022, 12:40:46 AM »

Would just add colonial stock to that definition as New England to exclude later immigrants from Great Britain, the Canadian Maritime provinces and Newfoundland.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2022, 12:03:40 AM »

Outside of rural New England and Utah (mostly Mormons - who originated in Upstate NY and are their own thing really), there are few people of wholly English ancestry anymore.  They're not really a distinctive group anymore.  I don't know if anyone - except older WASP New Englanders maybe - would identify as a Yankee today.

I don't even really think people would have identified themselves as "being Yankee" within the confines of the group as defined by Phillips. It was always more of a name given to them first by their enemies or later by various historians/demographers/political science authors, which Phillips is arguably all three.

I made the comparison on discord a while back, that the Mormons are the closest equivalent to what the Yankee North was like, just trading out the specifics of the Mormon faith for say Congregationalist or Baptists or what have you. The high value placed on education, personal responsibility, self improvement, and until very recently, a good deal of political moralism as well (CA 2008 comes to mind).
pikachu
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2022, 12:23:26 AM »

one who plays baseball for the team in the bronx or its affiliate in scranton/wilkes-barre
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2022, 01:42:46 AM »

One who plays a game with a stick and ball for a living and gets cheered by some good people and a large number of heathens
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2022, 11:19:32 AM »

To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.
To Americans, a Yankee is a northerner.
To northerners, a Yankee is an easterner.
To easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.
To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter.
And in Vermont, a Yankee is someone who eats cherry pie for breakfast.

When I was on my project in Connecticut, my roommates freaked the hell out at me eating pie for breakfast.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies