Rubio introduces bipartisan bill to ban TikTok in the US
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 07:41:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rubio introduces bipartisan bill to ban TikTok in the US
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Rubio introduces bipartisan bill to ban TikTok in the US  (Read 2153 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2022, 05:11:39 PM »

Based and redpilled. This was the one good thing Trump tried to do that would have been an actual accomplishment so of course he blew it.

This actually will cost me money, wtf I was actually doing well, disgusting move and I will never vote Republican even out of spite if this passes. Absolutely horrific and I fully support a Gen Z takeover of the government if these types of things pass. We need to put these raisins in their retirement home.

DONT TREAD ON MY SMALL BUSINESS YOU COMMUNISTS!!!

I endorse Raja’s Republican opponent now for 2024, a disgrace to America.

What if it passes with bipartisan support and Biden signs it
Immediate non voter.
If Democrats pass this I have little reason not to just let the communists go ahead. I will vote on proposition measures but never for a Democrat who passes this.

Pretty sure a legit communist would hate tiktok as much if not more than everyone else.

I'm not a communist stricto sensu but I hate it for fundamentally Marxian reasons, yes.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2022, 05:12:04 PM »
« Edited: December 13, 2022, 09:41:20 PM by Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin »

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/12/13/lawmakers-unveil-bipartisan-bill-that-aims-to-ban-tiktok-in-the-us.html

The new bill, introduced by Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., and Reps. Mike Gallagher, R-Wisc., and Raja Krishnamoorthi, D-Ill., would ban "all transactions from any social media company in, or under the influence of, China, Russia, and several other foreign countries of concern," according to a press release.

So its banning Twitter as well? I thought Republicans didn't like censorship?
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2022, 05:12:07 PM »

Of course the guy who wanted to ban vapes is the Democratic co-sponsor.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2022, 05:13:08 PM »

This is the dumbest bill ever introduced in Congress.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2022, 05:21:26 PM »

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/12/13/lawmakers-unveil-bipartisan-bill-that-aims-to-ban-tiktok-in-the-us.html

The new bill, introduced by Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., and Reps. Mike Gallagher, R-Wisc., and Raja Krishnamoorthi, D-Ill., would ban "all transactions from any social media company in, or under the influence of, China, Russia, and several other foreign countries of concern," according to a press release.
[/quote

Twitter is an American  company
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2022, 05:26:05 PM »
« Edited: December 13, 2022, 05:29:29 PM by Raisins belong in a box! »

Elon Musk is a South African agent.

Anyways after calming down I am realizing this could actually work in my favor if the immediate shutdown forces a reset and causes a huge outflow of American users to other short form video sites, as long as I pick the right one (I am guessing youtube shorts for my purposes given audience profile) I could even improve my relative position. Still annoyed but I can work with this. Still never voting for a Democrat who signs this.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2022, 05:42:53 PM »

Based and redpilled. This was the one good thing Trump tried to do that would have been an actual accomplishment so of course he blew it.

This actually will cost me money, wtf I was actually doing well, disgusting move and I will never vote Republican even out of spite if this passes. Absolutely horrific and I fully support a Gen Z takeover of the government if these types of things pass. We need to put these raisins in their retirement home.

What if it passes with bipartisan support and Biden signs it
Immediate non voter.
If Democrats pass this I have little reason not to just let the communists go ahead. I will vote on proposition measures but never for a Democrat who passes this.

Pretty sure a legit communist would hate tiktok as much if not more than everyone else.
Exactly! People who hate Tiktok are oftentimes hidden communists. You get it.

Well I'm kind of meming here, not really sure on banning it although the Chinese espionage concerns make me consider it. Also just generally hate the brain rotting stupidity of most the content there and think it has negative social value. Neither of which has anything to do with Communism.

As for Communists, the general fact that it's a corporation run by state capitalists would be enough for them to be against it. Plus the monetization of AI crap and data while themselves putting in no "added value". I don't really care about that stuff but that's why Communists would be against it. There's just nothing for anyone to like here.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2022, 10:00:24 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2022, 04:51:10 PM by Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin »

Twitter is an American  company

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alanohnsman/2022/04/25/does-elon-musks-twitter-deal-give-china-influence-over-the-site/
In 2021 China became Tesla’s highest source of vehicle production and likely its second-biggest source of sales. Given lower costs of production there, including for battery cells, materials and worker pay, it’s also “by far” the electric-car maker’s source of profit, Wedbush equity analyst Dan Ives recently told Forbes. China, which has little tolerance for public criticism, banned Twitter in 2009, according to New York Times’s Michael Forsythe, a long-time correspondent covering the country. While the country previously had no influence over Twitter, “that may have just changed” with Musk’s deal, Forsythe said in a tweet.

That caught the attention of Amazon founder Jeff Bezos who asked in response: “Did the Chinese government just gain a bit of leverage over the town square?”

Musk, the world’s wealthiest person with a net worth Forbes estimates at $268.2 billion, has shown a willingness to comply with Chinese government wishes in ways that he often doesn’t in the U.S.

https://fortune.com/2022/10/28/elon-musk-twitter-shareholder-alwaleed-bin-talal-binance-morgan-stanley/
Billionaire Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal said Friday that he and his Kingdom Holding Company rolled over a combined $1.89 billion in existing Twitter shares, making them the company’s largest shareholder after Musk.

Also,

and another,

Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2022, 10:02:12 PM »

Lol wtf
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2022, 10:03:02 PM »

By the way my TikTok has literally gotten me relevant internship offers in the field. Removing this is a HUGE issue. And Rubio+Gallagher honestly belong in prison.

What about Krishnamoorthi?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2022, 10:05:48 PM »
« Edited: December 24, 2022, 09:43:15 PM by CentristRepublican »

Oh no! He wanted to ban vapes! How terrible!

If we oppose cigarettes - and the government absolutely made the right move in opposing them back in the '90s - we should logically oppose vapes. They're cigarettes in another form, only more 'cool' and 'flashy' (the same way cigarettes were before the government launched infomercials to send lung cancer permanently out of fashion).

If you're trying to discredit Krishnamoorthi's credentials and make an 'ethos' argument against this, you're failing completely, at least as far as I'm concerned. Yes, vapes should be banned.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2022, 10:08:36 PM »

By the way my TikTok has literally gotten me relevant internship offers in the field. Removing this is a HUGE issue. And Rubio+Gallagher honestly belong in prison.

I would have said that then yes.

That being said I am slowly changing my stance on this now that I have done a further evaluation and thought about it. If anything this could be beneficial long term so I may consider switching into support of it to protect against the CCP menace. I will better know my position in a few weeks after some time to test things out.
T0rM3nTeD
Rookie
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2022, 07:10:56 AM »

This would be a phenomenal way to lose the young person vote in the next election
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2022, 09:32:28 AM »

While I'm not sure whether or not I'm willing to fully subscribe to it, there is a robust public health and consumer safety argument for suplexing TikTok and similar algorithmed-to-hell-and-back short-form-video-oriented platforms into the fires of Orodruin whence they came, an argument that has nothing to do with what foreign dictatorships they do or don't have servers in.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2022, 09:43:23 AM »

Oh no! He wanted to ban vapes! How terrible!

If we oppose cigarettes - and the government absolutely made the right move in opposing them back in the '90s - we should logically oppose vapes. They're cigarettes in another form, only more dangerous and 'cool' and 'flashy' (the same way cigarettes were before the government launched infomercials to send lung cancer permanently out of fashion).

If you're trying to discredit Krishnamoorthi's credentials and make an 'ethos' argument against this, you're failing completely, at least as far as I'm concerned. Yes, vapes should be banned.
Vapes are way less cool than cigarettes
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2022, 11:04:54 AM »

Making money on TikTok is immoral.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2022, 11:10:05 AM »

Please don't ban WeChat.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2022, 12:17:06 PM »

China essentially bans a lot of our tech apps, why is it wrong for us to do the same?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2022, 12:26:53 PM »

It’s also immoral to see yourself as some superior being and to strut around in life like you are 20x better than the “stupid superficial rubes” when in reality you’re just another copy and paste “not like other guys” guys. Between how you talk about Gen Z, overweight people, and the religious, it makes you wonder what group you don’t disdain? Pseudo intellectual armchair historians who think drinking black coffee is a personality trait? Right if only our world was just that.

At least my immorality doesn’t exclude other people.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2022, 12:37:04 PM »

I would have said that then yes.

That being said I am slowly changing my stance on this now that I have done a further evaluation and thought about it. If anything this could be beneficial long term so I may consider switching into support of it to protect against the CCP menace. I will better know my position in a few weeks after some time to test things out.

LOL.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2022, 01:01:22 PM »

It’s also immoral to see yourself as some superior being and to strut around in life like you are 20x better than the “stupid superficial rubes” when in reality you’re just another copy and paste “not like other guys” guys. Between how you talk about Gen Z, overweight people, and the religious, it makes you wonder what group you don’t disdain? Pseudo intellectual armchair historians who think drinking black coffee is a personality trait? Right if only our world was just that.

Posts like this further damage the reputation of TikTok influencers, lol.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2022, 01:07:36 PM »

Screw tiktok, why do you have this smug attitude all the time? What makes you think you are any better than everyone else? Does it make you more intelligent to bash those you deem as stupider than you for superficial reasons? This maybe belongs in its own thread but what is with this fake superiority, are you even telling us this or are you just trying to delude yourself into thinking you are special?

Ya know it’s funny…you moan constantly about how evangelical Christians in the 90s tried to censor stuff the younger generation liked…and then you turn into your own worst enemy. Absolutely beautiful.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2022, 01:10:07 PM »

Screw tiktok, why do you have this smug attitude all the time? What makes you think you are any better than everyone else? Does it make you more intelligent to bash those you deem as stupider than you for superficial reasons? This maybe belongs in its own thread but what is with this fake superiority, are you even telling us this or are you just trying to delude yourself into thinking you are special?

Ya know it’s funny…you moan constantly about how evangelical Christians in the 90s tried to censor stuff the younger generation liked…and then you turn into your own worst enemy. Absolutely beautiful.

I can't comprehend your posts.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2022, 01:11:00 PM »

Honestly, while I occasionally enjoy a good TikTok scroll, I'd be perfectly fine with getting rid of it. Or at least raising the age of use to 18, although the question then becomes how you'd ever successfully enforce that (I don't really think you could, sans a South Korea ID system which would never see the light of day here in the US).
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2022, 01:12:46 PM »

I can't comprehend your posts.
Alright I’ll ask it more directly. Why are you such a sanctimonious prick?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies