Biden defies WTO ruling on Steel Tarrifs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:06:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden defies WTO ruling on Steel Tarrifs
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Biden defies WTO ruling on Steel Tarrifs  (Read 344 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 13, 2022, 01:14:34 PM »

Here’s a quote from that article :

China challenged the tariffs almost immediately on the grounds that “the measures were not taken in time of war or other emergency in international relations”; the WTO has now ruled in Beijing’s favor.

Adam Hodge, a spokesman for the Office of the US Trade Representative, said the administration “is committed to preserving US national security by ensuring the long-term viability of our steel and aluminum industries.” The WTO dispute-settlement process “has no authority” to review national-security issues, he insisted

Based move by Biden here . The WTO has no way to enforce their rulings against us so we should just do as we please .

One of the advantages of being a super power
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 01:22:21 PM »

I wrote about this in the Biden approval thread. Biden actually does aspects of the Trump agenda that some people support better than Trump who was mostly all talk. He doubled down on China and semiconductors, has most of Europe freaking out about the Inflation Reduction Act and how protectionist a lot of tax incentives are, actually unified NATO and has them increasing defense spending after the Ukraine invasion, and did a huge infrastructure deal that Trump only talked about.

OSR when will you pledge your support to re-elect Biden?
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 01:31:26 PM »

Isn't it more like this is one of the few areas where Trump was aligned with old-school labor Democrats, rather than Democrats 'embracing Trump's agenda'? I mean, I recognize that a large contingent of neoliberal and NDC types had embraced ridiculously unfettered free trade particularly since the Clinton years... But that consensus was already starting to break down since Hillary came out against TPP in 2016 and most of the fiercest critics of free trade were/are still in the Democratic parties left and labor flanks.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 01:32:10 PM »

baste
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 01:36:42 PM »

Isn't it more like this is one of the few areas where Trump was aligned with old-school labor Democrats, rather than Democrats 'embracing Trump's agenda'? I mean, I recognize that a large contingent of neoliberal and NDC types had embraced ridiculously unfettered free trade particularly since the Clinton years... But that consensus was already starting to break down since Hillary came out against TPP in 2016 and most of the fiercest critics of free trade were/are still in the Democratic parties left and labor flanks.

The ironic part is that TPP was designed exactly to contain China's influence and they were the most happy to see it fail.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 01:42:25 PM »

The Democratic Party was the party of free trade literally for the its entire history up until the 1970s and the whole GOP/Conservative for free trade and democrats more protectionist didn’t really align into place until the Reagan years .

Even then the two democratic presidents elected post Reagan were free traders so Biden very well could be the first protectionist democratic president in history with the possible exception of Jackson .

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 01:45:42 PM »

The ironic part is that TPP was designed exactly to contain China's influence and they were the most happy to see it fail.

You need large trade deals and economic unions to thrive in this global world. The United Kingdom has shown an exercise in stupidity and irrelevance since leaving the EU.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2022, 01:52:04 PM »

You need large trade deals and economic unions to thrive in this global world. The United Kingdom has shown an exercise in stupidity and irrelevance since leaving the EU.

I mean I would argue that has more to do with the UK being so heavily integrated into the EU's trading mechanisms and systems for decades rather than directly a consequence of no longer having EU membership. Norway and Switzerland, for instance, are prospering despite being outside the EU cause they've established their own systems for EU trade. Any sudden shock to the way a countries economic systems work is going to be negative for the health of the overall economy.

I say this as someone who would vote to be in the EU if I were a British citizen, ofc.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2022, 01:53:03 PM »

Good.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2022, 01:56:49 PM »

The Democratic Party was the party of free trade literally for the its entire history up until the 1970s and the whole GOP/Conservative for free trade and democrats more protectionist didn’t really align into place until the Reagan years .

Even then the two democratic presidents elected post Reagan were free traders so Biden very well could be the first protectionist democratic president in history with the possible exception of Jackson .

I feel like the policies of the parties 60-70 years ago are far enough removed from our modern circumstances, especially with the rise of a global economy and the internet, so as to be sort of irrelevant to the conversation. Most of the prominent critics of NAFTA for instance were Democrats and by the early 2000's almost every single Democrat voted against CAFTA while the GOP largely backed it so clearly protectionism and anti-free trade sentiment was still a more prevalent strain of thought in the Democratic Party within the last few decades than the GOP.

I actually applaud Trump for the renegotiation of NAFTA; it's one of the few areas I think he did a halfway decent job on even if it was largely for vanity reasons that he did so. Every now and then he mans ego actually leads him to a good policy end...
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2022, 02:00:12 PM »

I mean I would argue that has more to do with the UK being so heavily integrated into the EU's trading mechanisms and systems for decades rather than directly a consequence of no longer having EU membership. Norway and Switzerland, for instance, are prospering despite being outside the EU cause they've established their own systems for EU trade. Any sudden shock to the way a countries economic systems work is going to be negative for the health of the overall economy.

I say this as someone who would vote to be in the EU if I were a British citizen, ofc.

Norway is part of the Nordic Council and is rich because it invested its energy resource profits into an enormous sovereign wealth fund. Switzerland has been Europe's banker for centuries and the franc is a currency people will always value for the politcal stability and value it holds. While The United Kingdom is a huge financial hub leaving the EU and having a currency that will become increasingly irrelevant won't help that be the case going forward. The United Kingdom had the best of both worlds being an EU member but keeping the ability to print their own currency. Brexit was an unmitigated disaster and a complete own goal.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2022, 05:19:02 PM »

Biden's always been kind of protectionist, no? I wouldn't exactly frame this as Biden 'embracing the Trump agenda'.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2022, 12:23:35 AM »

I'm old enough to remember when George W. Bush enacted a bunch of steel tariffs because Karl Rove told him he could win Pennsylvania in 2004 that way.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2022, 12:28:14 AM »

The Democratic party was more free trade than the Republicans, but that doesn't mean they were remotely free trade by a 21st century neoliberal standard.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2022, 12:30:07 AM »

Biden's always been kind of protectionist, no? I wouldn't exactly frame this as Biden 'embracing the Trump agenda'.
He voted for NAFTA and China’s entry into the WTO and he supported the TPP until election day 2016.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies