would you fire an executive for this quote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:15:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  would you fire an executive for this quote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: would you fire an executive for this quote?
yes, every time

yes, most of the time

yes, unless he made me a lot of money

probably

no, unless he was easily replaceable

no, not most of the time

no, never

YJDGID

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: would you fire an executive for this quote?  (Read 339 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2022, 09:17:12 PM »

"I race cars, play golf, and fondle big-breasted women. But I take weekends and major holidays off,"
this was said in a TikTok in a video posted by a guy (not the one fired) who likes to ask people getting out of fancy cars what they do for a living.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 09:23:28 PM »

What he does with women (provided it is consensual), golf clubs, or racecars is not my business. Voted "no, not most of the time" instead of "no, never" because some people who might display this attitude might act unprofessionally in the workplace as a result of it and there are contexts in which them saying something along these lines could be reason to fire them.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 10:14:39 PM »

What he does with women (provided it is consensual), golf clubs, or racecars is not my business. Voted "no, not most of the time" instead of "no, never" because some people who might display this attitude might act unprofessionally in the workplace as a result of it and there are contexts in which them saying something along these lines could be reason to fire them.

I feel like “fondle” is kind of a bad term to use. Might just be me, but it seems like a word that usually doesn’t imply consent.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 10:16:51 PM »

I feel like “fondle” is kind of a bad term to use. Might just be me, but it seems like a word that usually doesn’t imply consent.

Spoken like a man who's never done any fondling.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 10:38:42 PM »

Spoken like a man who's never done any fondling.

Wouldn’t be here on Atlas with you guys if I had!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 11:56:51 PM »

I am not sure how to judge the word "fondle". I can count on one hand how many times I've seen it and I don't really understand its deeper meaning. I know a lot about a lot of topics, but my knowledge will always have its limitations.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2022, 12:27:15 AM »

Would you fire an executive for taking a knee during the playing of the national anthem?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2022, 03:26:30 AM »

Would you fire an executive for taking a knee during the playing of the national anthem?

Non Franquitur
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2022, 03:29:00 AM »

Non Franquitur

I'm not surprised you're too slow to see the fairly obvious connection.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2022, 03:58:39 AM »

If I’m in the position where I can fire an executive then I’m pretty sure I’d be in on it too
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2022, 05:19:01 AM »

If an executive fondled a woman's breasts in the forest and no one was there to see it, did it really happen?
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2022, 06:05:23 AM »
« Edited: December 10, 2022, 07:21:37 AM by Benjamin Frank »

1.The reason I don't take this seriously is this is just another of the endless (implicit) John Dule 'cancel culture is horrible' thread.

2.To take this more seriously, there are two scenarios in which he should be fired:
A.If there are complaints against this executive to HR about how women in his office find him to be 'creepy' this would be confirmation.
B.If the corporation has a 'morality clause' (and many do) to keep the corporation from being seen in a bad light, and this quote violates the morality clause, he should be fired.

"A morality clause, or morals clause, is a provision reached in an employment contract negotiation that requires a prospective employee to adhere to certain behavioral standards during the life of the employee's contract"

So, without more details, this question/thread is just another 'oh no, cancel culture!' pointless post. The term 'cancel culture' is less than 10 years old, but corporate morality clauses are probably as old as corporations, for instance. So, let's at least acknowledge that 'cancel culture' has existed since likely the beginning of civilization.

And also, as to anybody responding 'nobody said otherwise' I think one of the implied things in the OP, because it's been falsely claimed before, is that people weren't fired for saying these sorts of things in public before social media.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2022, 02:13:29 PM »

1.The reason I don't take this seriously is this is just another of the endless (implicit) John Dule 'cancel culture is horrible' thread.

It’s amazing that you can write multiple paragraphs on a subject like this and still not realize that (A) I didn’t make this thread, and (B) My threads are usually devoted to criticizing car culture, not cancel culture.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2022, 04:08:52 PM »

It’s amazing that you can write multiple paragraphs on a subject like this and still not realize that (A) I didn’t make this thread, and (B) My threads are usually devoted to criticizing car culture, not cancel culture.

Sad Sorry.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2022, 09:46:34 PM »

It would depend if it was hurting the company's stock price or not, an whether firing him would help it or not. (Responsible board member who takes my duty to the stockholders seriously.)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2022, 11:24:26 AM »

I'd give him a warning and suspend him if possible, but I'd only fire him if he kept it up.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies