Texas bill would ban social media for children under 18
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 06:28:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Texas bill would ban social media for children under 18
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Texas bill would ban social media for children under 18  (Read 1462 times)
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2022, 03:23:30 PM »

https://www.fox4news.com/news/texas-bill-would-ban-social-media-for-children-under-18

DALLAS - A Republican lawmaker from North Texas filed a bill aimed at keeping children off social media. State Rep. Jared Patterson’s HB 896 would require social media users to be 18 years old to create an account. Patterson believes social media is harmful to children and compared it to the use of cigarettes before 1964.

"Once thought to be perfectly safe for users, social media access to minors has led to remarkable rises in self-harm, suicide, and mental health issues," he said.

Under HB 896, social media sites would also be forced to verify a user’s age with a photo ID and allow parents to request the removal of their child’s account.

"The harms social media poses to minors are demonstrable not just in the internal research from the very social media companies that create these addictive products, but in the skyrocketing depression, anxiety, and even suicide rates we are seeing afflict children," said Greg Sindelar, CEO of the Texas Public Policy Foundation. "We are tremendously grateful for Rep. Jared Patterson’s leadership on keeping this precious population safe, and TPPF is fully supportive of prohibiting social media access to minors to prevent the perpetual harms of social media from devastating the next generation of Texans."
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 03:24:33 PM »

This is San Francisco level loony tunes.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 03:26:39 PM »

Lol, that isn't going to work.

Norway has banned face filters though, maybe we could give that a shot.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 03:29:07 PM »

Why is the right so obsessed with children? It's sort of creepy
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 03:29:13 PM »

I was making social media accounts well before I was 18. Had such a law existed on paper, I would have likely ignored it.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 03:29:26 PM »

This is pretty blatantly unconstitutional, so pretty much par for the course with proposals from the Texas Legislature.
Dani Rose
danixander92
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 03:30:09 PM »

I see the GOP is doing really well with moderating their image post-2022.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 03:32:44 PM »

This will make Gen Z solid Republican for sure.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2022, 06:31:03 PM »

This will make Gen Z solid Republican for sure.

"You ungrateful little sh**ts deserve a polluted planet, your concerns don't matter, and we're taking away everything you like and forcing you to give birth so we have wage slaves to fund our boomer base's retrirement. F@ck you. Vote for us!"
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2022, 06:37:49 PM »

Using evil to fight evil.
Social media is the great cancer of the current era but authoritarianism is a cancer that has existed since the dawb of humankind.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2022, 07:01:48 PM »

Based Texas.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2022, 07:07:05 PM »

Under HB 896, social media sites would also be forced to verify a user’s age with a photo ID and allow parents to request the removal of their child’s account.

Seems like an unconstitutional government overreach and a massive privacy violation.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2022, 07:17:31 PM »

I hate social media but this is not the way to weaken its toxic influence over society.

That's "free speech and small government" conservative politics in 2022 for you though.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2022, 12:50:01 AM »

But Big Tech bad...
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2022, 08:13:55 AM »

TX Republicans are going to be in for a rude awakening if they keep stuff like this up at the state level. I agree with skill and Chance dems have a great shot at winning the TX house someday
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2022, 02:39:08 PM »

Based.

But also not enforceable sadly.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2022, 04:10:23 PM »

Seems like an unconstitutional government overreach and a massive privacy violation.

So much for small government and letting parents make decisions for their kids.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2022, 04:13:56 PM »

TX Republicans are going to be in for a rude awakening if they keep stuff like this up at the state level. I agree with skill and Chance dems have a great shot at winning the TX house someday

Well, it's going to take a long time with the GOP's gerrymandering. Worth noting that under the 2010s lines, however, Biden came just short of winning half of the seats in the TX House and TX Senate, winning 74/150 House seats (just one short of the 50% mark, to be precise, 49.33%) and 15/31 Senate seats (48.39%).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2022, 04:14:42 PM »

I hate social media but this is not the way to weaken its toxic influence over society.

That's "free speech and small government" conservative politics in 2022 for you though.

I mostly agree with this. What TimTurner said is likely true for many other posters:

I was making social media accounts well before I was 18. Had such a law existed on paper, I would have likely ignored it.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2022, 04:16:42 PM »

Well, it's going to take a long time with the GOP's gerrymandering. Worth noting that under the 2010s lines, however, Biden came just short of winning half of the seats in the TX House and TX Senate, winning 74/150 House seats (just one short of the 50% mark, to be precise, 49.33%) and 15/31 Senate seats (48.39%).
Ds have a very very good shot in the TX House by the end of the decade, from the looks of it. Senate is a harder climb. Statewide will probably be hardest.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2022, 04:23:08 PM »

Ds have a very very good shot in the TX House by the end of the decade, from the looks of it. Senate is a harder climb. Statewide will probably be hardest.

Didn't the GOP solidify their majorities through defensive (or even offensive) gerrymandering though? I would really have guessed so, given
a.) They did just this for the House seats.
b.) Post-redistricting, the number of Trump 2020 State House seats goes up from 76 to 85 (less than 51% to nearly 57%), per the Texas Tribune.
c.) Also per the Tribune, the number of Trump 2020 Senate districts goes from 16 to 19 (about 52% to over 61%).

So I highly doubt that either house flips by the end of the decade (when, though it might be much harder, the GOP can probably draw up a new and improved gerrymander). And I would most definitely argue that if either house does actually flip, Democrats will definitely have won something or the other statewide.
world.execute(me)
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2022, 04:28:01 PM »

Didn't the GOP solidify their majorities through defensive (or even offensive) gerrymandering though? I would really have guessed so, given
b.) Post-redistricting, the number of Trump 2020 State House seats goes up from 76 to 85 (less than 51% to nearly 57%), per the Texas Tribune.
c.) Also per the Tribune, the number of Trump 2020 Senate districts goes from 16 to 19 (about 52% to over 61%).

So I highly doubt that either house flips by the end of the decade (when, though it might be much harder, the GOP can probably draw up a new and improved gerrymander). And I would most definitely argue that if either house does actually flip, Democrats will definitely have won something or the other statewide.
IIRC the state house gerrymander was limited by laws that limited county splitting, so a lot of those trump seats in the house are probably narrower than in the senate.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2022, 04:34:15 PM »

IIRC the state house gerrymander was limited by laws that limited county splitting, so a lot of those trump seats in the house are probably narrower than in the senate.
Exactly.
Funnily enough, Texas Ds tried to kill these laws in the early 1970s, but the courts slapped it down hard, forcing Ds to tolerate the existence of R-voting State House seats in places like suburban Dallas.

IIRC, the criteria for which TX State House seats are allocated is placed in the TX constitution itself and changing that would require a statewide referendum.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2022, 05:07:40 PM »

So much for small government and letting parents make decisions for their kids.

Not even that, but this would essentially require EVERYONE to register in order to prove their age. It's so dumb.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2022, 02:42:13 AM »

I think they should give it a crack.

It won't work, but some ideas which are useful will come out of it. You have to try 10 things to get one useful outcome.

It's annoying how social media affects a teenagers' education.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies