What Senate duo are the best friends?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 05:01:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What Senate duo are the best friends?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What Senate duo are the best friends?  (Read 676 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2022, 10:07:56 PM »

Ossoff and Warnock seem like total bros and good friends, although it very well could be one that's been around in office much longer.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 10:28:07 PM »

-Bennet and Hickenlooper
-Warner and Kaine
-Crapo and Risch
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 10:33:46 PM »

Aren't Capito and Manchin good friends?
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 12:02:53 AM »

Warren and Markey are probably up there
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 12:10:53 AM »

Bernie and Leahy are probably buds, and I can see King and Collins being friendly.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 12:13:28 AM »

Rubio also had a very good relationship with Nelson. I wonder if that's part of the reason his relationship with Rick Scott is famously poor.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 02:07:09 AM »

I wouldn't be so sure that ideology is a huge factor in answering this question. There are some cases, like Tammy Baldwin and Ron Johnson, where it is genuinely difficult to imagine a state's senators giving each other the time of day because they just cut such vastly different figures politically, but there are many high-profile examples of lawmakers who came from different parties or different factions of the same party who were personally close--Ted Kennedy and Orrin Hatch, Al Franken and Jim DeMint, Mark Meadows and Elijah Cummings in the House, Sarah Palin and Mary Peltola on the state level back in Alaska.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 02:31:06 PM »

I wouldn't be so sure that ideology is a huge factor in answering this question. There are some cases, like Tammy Baldwin and Ron Johnson, where it is genuinely difficult to imagine a state's senators giving each other the time of day because they just cut such vastly different figures politically, but there are many high-profile examples of lawmakers who came from different parties or different factions of the same party who were personally close--Ted Kennedy and Orrin Hatch, Al Franken and Jim DeMint, Mark Meadows and Elijah Cummings in the House, Sarah Palin and Mary Peltola on the state level back in Alaska.

I would actually argue that, in many ways, there's probably an inverse relationship between ideological similarity and personal closeness because sharing the same constituency inevitably leads to a degree of rivalry. The more ideologically similar two people are, the more they will tend to focus on their differences, while two colleagues who don't agree on much have more incentive to try to build bridges. I think Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe's notoriously frosty relationship was more driven by this kind of rivalry than personal differences.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2022, 02:32:55 PM »

Kevin McCarthy spoke at my university in spring 2019 and mentioned that he was really good friends with Joe Kennedy III.
Cyrusman
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2022, 05:42:23 PM »

Liz Cheney is a Democrat at this point. She is just stubborn about switching parties. She actively endorses and campaigns for Democrats while never saying one positive thing about ANY current Republican's. It's not just a Trump thing for her. She is a Democrat at this point.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2022, 05:44:08 PM »

Rubio also had a very good relationship with Nelson. I wonder if that's part of the reason his relationship with Rick Scott is famously poor.

Rick Scott doesn't seem to get along with anyone.  I think he and Ted Cruz are probably the two least liked Senators in the Senate.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2022, 05:48:59 PM »

Rick Scott doesn't seem to get along with anyone.  I think he and Ted Cruz are probably the two least liked Senators in the Senate.

He's probably too busy making Horcruxes to make friends.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2022, 05:57:10 PM »

Liz Cheney is a Democrat at this point. She is just stubborn about switching parties. She actively endorses and campaigns for Democrats while never saying one positive thing about ANY current Republican's. It's not just a Trump thing for her. She is a Democrat at this point.

What does this have to do with this thread?

And since the GOP is the Party of Trump, just about EVERYTHING is a Trump thing with them. Campaigning against his endorsed fascist election deniers like Kari Lake does not make you a Democrat.
TheFonz
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -6.26

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2022, 06:52:09 PM »

Cruz and Lee
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2022, 07:19:39 PM »

Baldwin and Johnson.

No, seriously, I would say Kaine and Warner, they go way back.

Rick Scott doesn't seem to get along with anyone.  I think he and Ted Cruz are probably the two least liked Senators in the Senate.

Deservedly.

They're the only two who can tolerate each other.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2022, 08:38:14 PM »

Is it possible for anyone to have any other kind of relationship with Rick Scott? I’ve never heard anyone (including his own party) say anything positive about him.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2022, 08:47:25 PM »
« Edited: December 09, 2022, 08:51:01 PM by Person Man »

You think some of them do happy hour/pizza and beer or any of them smoke each other up yet? You know, things that good bruvs do in real life that isn’t  the crazy trailer park sh**t that Gaetz is into?
Dani Rose
danixander92
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2022, 08:53:17 PM »

As I recall, Obama and Coburn were friends in spite of the staggeringly huge political gap between them both as colleagues and as President and opposition Senator.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2022, 12:01:50 AM »

Why is Rick Scott hated by his fellow GOP Senators?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2022, 07:44:15 AM »
« Edited: December 10, 2022, 07:51:46 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

These people aren't friends they are coworkers just like we are at jobs I am guessing Ds and Rs duo are friends like Casey and Fetterman and Peters and STABENOW and Ernst and Grassley I doubt that Vance and Brown are friends the way that OH Senate race turned out he, Vance was the most polarizing figure but Markey and Joe Kennedy don't hate each other or dislike each other like Vance and Brown but Brown will respect Vance as a co worker

Greg Landsman is the heir Apparent to Tim Ryan for sure to take on Vance in 28
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2022, 11:58:48 AM »

They're to us like Bernie is to the GOP.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2022, 01:33:00 PM »

Why is Rick Scott hated by his fellow GOP Senators?

because he's rick scott, next question
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2022, 02:06:46 PM »

Details?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2022, 02:08:52 PM »

Kevin McCarthy spoke at my university in spring 2019 and mentioned that he was really good friends with Joe Kennedy III.

Well in that case I’m glad Kennedy got kicked to the curb then - any Democrat who is friends with that pathetic, spineless, cowardly, craven oaf of a man should lose their seat.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2022, 02:36:51 PM »

No idea if still true, but Cory Booker and Rand Paul used to be real chums.

Booker and Tester seem to have a bit of a bros thing going on too.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies