How has CARLHAYDEN affected your opinion of amnesty for illegal immigrants?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:16:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How has CARLHAYDEN affected your opinion of amnesty for illegal immigrants?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: How has CARLHAYDEN affected your opinion of amnesty for illegal immigrants?
More in favor

The same

Less in favor

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: How has CARLHAYDEN affected your opinion of amnesty for illegal immigrants?  (Read 4070 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2007, 04:07:52 PM »

FAR more in favor. I used to not care. Now I strongly support full and unconditional amnesty for all illegals.

I suppose murderers, rapists, and thieves should be pardoned of their crimes as well?

Murderers, rapists and thieves have crimes that actually hurt people. The only thing 'illegal' immigrants are guilty of is a law that shouldn't be there in the first place.

Regardless, we live in a 'law and order' society (supposedly) and because we have immigration laws, they need enforcing.  No they don't directly hurt people in the same way, but they do deplete state resources that could be given to citizens.

Ignoring BRTD's pedantry here, I'd like to put in my two cents.

Rather than following the law for the sake of following the law, a more pragmatic approach is needed. The immigration process should be simplified to get rid of the excessive bureaucracy that make people jump the border in the first place.

Anyone who isn't a convicted felon should be allowed to immigrate to the United States if they want to. I mean, really- what reason is there to not allow them in?
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2007, 04:16:23 PM »

FAR more in favor. I used to not care. Now I strongly support full and unconditional amnesty for all illegals.

I suppose murderers, rapists, and thieves should be pardoned of their crimes as well?

Murderers, rapists and thieves have crimes that actually hurt people. The only thing 'illegal' immigrants are guilty of is a law that shouldn't be there in the first place.

Regardless, we live in a 'law and order' society (supposedly) and because we have immigration laws, they need enforcing.  No they don't directly hurt people in the same way, but they do deplete state resources that could be given to citizens.

Ignoring BRTD's pedantry here, I'd like to put in my two cents.

Rather than following the law for the sake of following the law, a more pragmatic approach is needed. The immigration process should be simplified to get rid of the excessive bureaucracy that make people jump the border in the first place.

Anyone who isn't a convicted felon should be allowed to immigrate to the United States if they want to. I mean, really- what reason is there to not allow them in?

Bacon King, I'd like to agree with you.  My state resource argument only stands because of the non-libertarian atmosphere of our county.  I (don't include all libertarians in this category plz) would like to abolish the national government-or at least reduce it to a minarchy where we wouldn't have to deal with problematic programs such as medicaid and social security.  I don't want more people mooching of the government than there already are.

However if we were to reduce the government to a very small libertarian one, we very well could have open borders because then the individuals would need to provide for themselves.  And I have no problem with people that come here legally to do this.  I admire that there are many immigrants that come here legally because it's a hard thing to do the legal way.  Citizenship means something once it's earned.  I would personally look to get rid of a lot of red tape that's making the process take so long and in the meanwhile encourage the border states to deny social programs to those who are here illegally as a first step in the problem.  I know it's not going to make a lot of difference-but it's a start in the right direction.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2007, 04:48:33 PM »

Nope, he hasn't swayed my opinion of the matter. But if it wasn't for him I don't know if I would have ever found out about the chaos on our border. Or that the whole deal of throwing those 2 border patrol agents in prison was utter bullsh**t.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2007, 10:54:25 PM »

Nope, he hasn't swayed my opinion of the matter. But if it wasn't for him I don't know if I would have ever found out about the chaos on our border. Or that the whole deal of throwing those 2 border patrol agents in prison was utter bullsh**t.

I'd worry a lot more about border control for your state; in the continental US, we mostly worry about Mexicans jumping.  In Alaska, you have to worry about Soviets.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2007, 11:41:45 PM »

I'd worry a lot more about border control for your state; in the continental US, we mostly worry about Mexicans jumping.  In Alaska, you have to worry about Soviets.

Ah, Mac, the Soviet Union disappeared into the dustbin of history some years ago.  There are no "Soviets" today.

Also, there hasn't been a landbridge between the continents for a long time.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2007, 12:12:34 AM »

Ah, Mac, the Soviet Union disappeared into the dustbin of history some years ago.  There are no "Soviets" today.

I'm more in fear of future communist revival movements.  Russia isn't doing well in the world right now..
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2007, 12:19:20 AM »

I'm more in fear of future communist revival movements.  Russia isn't doing well in the world right now..

I'm not concerned about a revival of communism in Russia so much as extreme nationalism.

Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2007, 05:56:14 PM »

same
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2007, 06:48:59 PM »

Hasn't really changed my opinion one way or the other. 
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2007, 07:09:49 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2007, 07:15:54 PM by Storebought »

Carl Hayden goes too far in his arguments. But he has made me think about it more than I would have otherwise.

In that sense, he has changed my opinion from "indifferent" to "slightly concerned." Especially, he has pointed out the social costs and national security risks of illegal immigration that professional (i.e., safely tenured) economists tend to ignore.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2007, 07:12:04 PM »

Is he a right-winger?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2007, 08:42:47 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2007, 09:37:54 PM by CARLHAYDEN »

I'm a moderately conservative with libertarian leanings.

Dave Leip has a nice chart of the leanings of a number of members of the forum, which you might want to check.  Its called the Community Political Matrix.

Oh, and since John Dibble so likes statistics, here's a few from the Matrix (Social scores):

Alcon          - 4.87
Bacon         - 7.91
BRTD          - 7.48
Dibble        - 6.09
Gabu         - 4.00
Jesus         - 9.04

Mine          - 0.17

Now,the higher the number (positive or negative) the farther one's political views are from the center.

Interesting data.

bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2007, 11:27:19 PM »

He's kind of like PETA. He probably hurts his cause more than he helps it.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2007, 11:42:07 PM »

Yup, he's an extreme conservative and racist and very similar to posters such as yourself and StatesRights.

Dave Leip has a nice chart of the leanings of a number of members of the forum, which you might want to check.  Its called the Community Political Matrix.

A test, ironically written by Alcon and designed by Gabu, who you go on to insult in your little chart...

Now,the higher the number (positive or negative) the farther one's political views are from the center.

Irrelevant.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2007, 02:53:10 AM »

Well, lets see.

Take a look at your own ratings.

There are a number of systems which have been introduced at this Forum, and I consistently have about the same rating on the different systems.

Why don't we compare.

Seems to me that someone else is rather far from the center.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2007, 06:33:01 AM »

Well, lets see.

There are a number of systems which have been introduced at this Forum, and I consistently have about the same rating on the different systems.

Why don't we compare.

I disagree with you too, and you may wish to check my own PM rating if you believe it to be so relevant to this discussion.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2007, 12:17:39 PM »

Well, lets see.

Why don't we compare.

I disagree with you too, and you may wish to check my own PM rating if you believe it to be so relevant to this discussion.

Let me distinguish.

The posters I cited have demonstrably far left views which color their perceptions of illegal aliens.

You are simply an emotional type who relexively and thoughtlessly disagrees with everything I post.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2007, 03:37:57 PM »

Let me see, "woosh" is a magic term among liberals which washes away the faux pas.

Gee, I'll let the Rev. Jackson know that next time he refers to New York City as "hymietown," all he needs to do is say "woosh," and its all forgotten.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2007, 04:55:54 PM »

Read up CARL:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2007, 05:57:17 PM »

Yeah, Joe's probably on his period.  It's the only explanation!

You really owe Joe an apology for that crass, sexist and thoughless slur.

LMFAO!  How naive is this guy?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2007, 06:48:23 PM »

I hope "illegal aliens" steal your babies and make them speak Mexican, Carl Hayden.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2007, 09:19:12 PM »

I just wish people like CARLHAYDEN and StatesRights would be brave enough to say what they really think.

We all know they are both very afraid of millions of brown people (brown people who speak a different language!!) coming into our country. That is at the center of all their hatred towards illegal immigrants... their own petty racism and elitism.

that is so pathetic to play the race card. the real racist elitist are rich white people who want a brown slave class because they are not willing to pay American Workers who demand a living wage and won't work for nothing.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2007, 09:22:34 PM »

None of the pro-immigrant types around here are rich, Bobby.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2007, 11:02:38 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2007, 11:04:13 PM by CARLHAYDEN »

I hope "illegal aliens" steal your babies and make them speak Mexican, Carl Hayden.

Ah, the official language of Mexico is SPANISH.  Admittedly it is a dialect significantly different in actual practice than that spoken is Spain, but its still Spanish, NOT Mexican.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »

Yeah, Joe's probably on his period.  It's the only explanation!

You really owe Joe an apology for that crass, sexist and thoughless slur.

LMFAO!  How naive is this guy?

I DEMAND AN APOLOGY, ALCON.

(Incidentally, Carl, "woosh" is also the sound that certain comments make as they pass over your head.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies