Mississippi Megathread 2023
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:30:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Mississippi Megathread 2023
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17
Author Topic: Mississippi Megathread 2023  (Read 21510 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2023, 12:15:15 PM »

Look at numbers: in Alabama only 1 white Democratic state Senator remains (and 2 white state representatives) - all from majority Black districts AFAIK... The same (approximately) will be in Mississippi, where most remaining white Democrats retire this year (and one - switched to Indie in this term, and now - running as a Republican, despite generally centrist voting for years). Only slightly better - in Louisiana.

I didn't think the Mississippi Democratic Party had that much further to fall, but apparently you think they haven't hit rock bottom yet.  Tongue

So how much larger do you think the Republican majority in the Mississippi legislature will be after this November?  Here is the current breakdown:

Mississippi Senate:

Republicans: 36
Democrats: 16

Mississippi House:

Republicans: 76
Democrats: 42
independents: 3
vacant: 1
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2023, 01:52:25 PM »
« Edited: February 12, 2023, 01:56:00 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Look at numbers: in Alabama only 1 white Democratic state Senator remains (and 2 white state representatives) - all from majority Black districts AFAIK... The same (approximately) will be in Mississippi, where most remaining white Democrats retire this year (and one - switched to Indie in this term, and now - running as a Republican, despite generally centrist voting for years). Only slightly better - in Louisiana.

I didn't think the Mississippi Democratic Party had that much further to fall, but apparently you think they haven't hit rock bottom yet.  Tongue

So how much larger do you think the Republican majority in the Mississippi legislature will be after this November?  Here is the current breakdown:

Mississippi Senate:

Mississippi House:

RS are Conserv on Guns in the Deep South but Brad Presley and Andy Beshear can reach out to Gun Crowd

But D's are banning guns is close the gun show loopholes, ban assault and conceal carry but Clarence Thomas has opened the Gun show loopholes without Fed Legislation
Duke of York

« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2023, 04:26:19 PM »

Mississippi Senate:

Mississippi House:

with so many of them unopposed and winning the majority by default if i was  Republican chair of the Mississippi party I would tell people to leave the state legislative election in their district blank and for not even the candidate themselves to cast a ballot in that election so they get zero votes and a special election is held.

No one should run unopposed in a general election.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2023, 03:23:33 AM »
« Edited: February 13, 2023, 03:31:28 AM by smoltchanov »

Mississippi Senate:

Mississippi House:

Not so much difference. but - modest gains for Republicans. 37-38 seats in Senate, about 80-82 - in House. All other seats are majority Black, and most - utterly safe for Democrats (Republicans don't even run candidates in most of them). Republican gains in the last 15 years were mostly in "white seats", or because of party switches among conservatively-inclined incumbents. They will win some of such remaining seats this time, but - it will be the last such time, because there are almost no such Democratic-held districts anymore...
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2023, 10:46:52 AM »

Tulchin Research has Pressley +4 over Reeves, 47-43

https://mississippitoday.org/2023/02/13/tate-reeves-brandon-presley-governor-welfare/
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2023, 12:21:44 PM »

The problem may be that 10 remaining percentages are, most likely, disappointed Republicans (from Waller camp in 2019), most of which will, after all, vote for Republican candidate (similar to Oklahoma polls of 2022). But 47 is good enough percentage for Pressley... Well, economic populist AND social conservative (Bilbo-type without Bilbo's racism) could still be relatively popular in Mississippi...
ListMan38
Rookie
United States

« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2023, 05:21:02 PM »

1. Anything can happen in 9 months
2. To my understanding not many Rs like Governor Peter Griffin so that's likely why he's underperforming
3. I literally go to Ole Miss at this point (in MS bellwether Lafayette County), and I have seen basically nothing for Presley at this point

Don't count your chickens before they hatch, Atlas Dems
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2023, 12:45:43 AM »

1. Anything can happen in 9 months
2. To my understanding not many Rs like Governor Peter Griffin so that's likely why he's underperforming
3. I literally go to Ole Miss at this point (in MS bellwether Lafayette County), and I have seen basically nothing for Presley at this point

Don't count your chickens before they hatch, Atlas Dems

Well, Pressley only announced few weeks ago, and he has little to worry about primary, so he still has time. And, AFAIK - he is rather conservative on many social issues: if so he is NOT the type which will be very popular among the students...
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2023, 06:28:14 AM »

Can't wait for Gov Elect Presley
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2023, 07:24:26 PM »

Tate Reeves’ response to the tornado ravaging MS will likely help him win like Rick Scott’s response to Hurricane Michael helped him win the 2018 senate election like DeSantis’ response to Hurricane Ian helped win against Charlie Crist

Why are you sure that Tate Reeves’ response to the tornado ravaging MS will likely help him win like Rick Scott’s response to Hurricane Michael helped him win the 2018 senate election like DeSantis’ response to Hurricane Ian helped win against Charlie Crist?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2023, 11:21:58 PM »

We weren't gonna sweep them anyways the RS supposed to sweep and Beshear handled Tornado's the same way as Reeves but it's still time for Presley and Wilson to win
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2023, 11:48:32 PM »

Tate Reeves’ response to the tornado ravaging MS will likely help him win like Rick Scott’s response to Hurricane Michael helped him win the 2018 senate election like DeSantis’ response to Hurricane Ian helped win against Charlie Crist

Why are you sure that Tate Reeves’ response to the tornado ravaging MS will likely help him win like Rick Scott’s response to Hurricane Michael helped him win the 2018 senate election like DeSantis’ response to Hurricane Ian helped win against Charlie Crist?
https://thebaptistpaper.org/complete-devastation-ms-disaster-relief-assessing-tornado-cleanup-in-hard-hit-areas/

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/politics/2023/03/27/mississippi-legislature-money-will-be-coming-for-tornado-victims/70051900007/
What is the use to copy/taste my words
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2023, 10:48:42 AM »

Hosemann probably loses Jones County (McDaniel's home county) and/or Greene County in the primary for lieutenant governor, but easily wins renomination.
Tmau
United States
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2023, 11:10:44 AM »

Hosemann probably loses Jones County (McDaniel's home county) and/or Greene County in the primary for lieutenant governor, but easily wins renomination.
I could also see Lamar and George counties going for McDaniel
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2023, 11:15:18 AM »

Yes. I wonder if Tate Reeves will lose any of them, even though he has no serious primary challengers.
Tmau
United States
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2023, 11:16:11 AM »

Yes. I wonder if Tate Reeves will lose any of them, even though he has no serious primary challengers.
No. Reeves will win every county. Witcher has no name recognition.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2023, 12:12:50 PM »

No. Reeves will win every county. Witcher has no name recognition.
[/quote

It's not October and as always we still have to vote Biden is cruising to reelection it's gonna have reprcautions in every race
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2023, 03:21:09 PM »

Democrats should vote in the GOP primary for lieutenant governor for Hosemann. In 2014, Chris McDaniel was supported by former Silver Dollar Group (a secret KKK group) member Lane “LC” Murray.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2023, 11:16:32 AM »
« Edited: May 19, 2023, 10:01:00 AM by Del Tachi »

In non-gubernatorial news, the Mississippi Supreme Court has disqualified former Trump staffer Mandy Gunasekara from appearing on the ballot for the northern Public Service Commission district (i.e., Presley's current seat), saying she doesn't meet state residency requirements.  She apparently voted in a DC municipal election as recently as 2018, and state law requires candidates for PSC to have lived in MS continuously for at least the most recent 5 years.

Smiley
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2023, 02:35:11 PM »

https://mississippitoday.org/2023/06/12/delbert-hosemann-chris-mcdaniel-primary-poll/

A new Mississippi Today/Siena College poll shows incumbent Republican Lt. Gov. Delbert Hosemann with a substantial lead over challenger Chris McDaniel ahead of the Aug. 8 primary, but Hosemann doesn’t crack 50% and many remain undecided.

The poll of respondents who are likely to vote in the 2023 GOP primary showed Hosemann with 47% support and McDaniel with 32%. But 21% said they don’t know who they’ll vote for or declined to answer.

Poll conducted with with 646 registered voters between June 4-7, 2023. Margin of error +/- 4.8%.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2023, 02:05:00 PM »

what happened to phillip gunn's candidacy
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2023, 03:30:11 PM »

This seems significant?

Siena polled MS's GOP Primary voters, and 21% of them said they would vote for Presley in the GE. Would that be enough?

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/23846468/ms-todaysiena-governor-06-23.pdf
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2023, 08:22:06 AM »

This seems significant?

Siena polled MS's GOP Primary voters, and 21% of them said they would vote for Presley in the GE. Would that be enough?

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/23846468/ms-todaysiena-governor-06-23.pdf

Primaries in Mississippi are open, and it looks like Presley's support here is coming almost exclusively from self-ID independent/other voters (Democrat was not an option), non-white voters (18% of this sample - huge for a deep south Republican primary), and from Bennie Thompson's district. Given that there is recent history of high non-Republican participation in Mississippi GOP primaries and there being no seriously contested statewide Dem primaries this cycle, I'd say this is generally pretty believable given the players involved.

It's certainly an impressive number and implies that Presley is building up some serious strength but it's probably exaggerating his crossover appeal right now.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2023, 11:15:42 PM »

Jim Crow remains alive in Mississippi thanks to the Supreme Court:

Supreme Court rejects challenge to Jim Crow-era Mississippi voting law
The state constitutional amendment from 1890 was intended to disproportionately remove voting rights from Black people convicted of certain crimes.

source: the Clarion-Ledger
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2023, 03:25:55 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length