Progressive Moderate Fair National Map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:35:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Progressive Moderate Fair National Map
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Progressive Moderate Fair National Map  (Read 831 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2022, 12:15:44 AM »

Added OH, IL, and PA!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2022, 12:17:20 AM »

Your Ohio map reminds me of mine.
the artist formerly known as catmusic
schnittdoodle
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2022, 01:00:47 AM »

Your NJ map is awesome, dude. You did a great job divvying up similar places.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2022, 01:04:18 AM »

Yeah, in OH, I think you have a lot of quite "obvious" districts. The thing I was most unsure about was Northeast Ohio and how to deal with Cinci.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2022, 01:14:42 AM »

NY
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2022, 01:17:08 AM »

Yeah, in OH, I think you have a lot of quite "obvious" districts. The thing I was most unsure about was Northeast Ohio and how to deal with Cinci.
Our Akron CDs are pretty much identical. I think that your OH-14 has everything in Trumbull County except the lowest row of townships, and this lets it take in whiter parts of Cuyahoga County east of the eponymous river.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2022, 01:18:39 AM »

Ironic these CDs are more box-like than my ones, despite me making "box-like" CDs an explicit goal.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2022, 01:19:43 AM »

Our Akron CDs are pretty much identical. I think that your OH-14 has everything in Trumbull County except the lowest row of townships, and this lets it take in whiter parts of Cuyahoga County east of the eponymous river.

Actually just has the top row of townships of Trumball County; Warren is in OH-06. It basically takes in the whiter suburbs of east of Cleveland, which is why topline partisanship is relatively close.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2022, 01:21:34 AM »

Actually just has the top row of townships of Trumball County; Warren is in OH-06. It basically takes in the whiter suburbs of east of Cleveland, which is why topline partisanship is relatively close.
Makes sense. I can see why the inclusion of such suburbs would move the partisanship numbers quite a bit.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2022, 01:31:06 AM »

Makes sense. I can see why the inclusion of such suburbs would move the partisanship numbers quite a bit.

Mhm. I think what people get wrong about OH-14 is that "rural farmlands" of Ashtabula County are what powers the district, when in reality, it's a mostly suburban/exurban Cleveland district, and so I pulled it a bit further into Cleveland so that the Mahoning Valley could be kept whole. Ig another similar comparison are the people who think Inland San Diego County on it's own is enough to sustain a CD; no, you need suburbs from somewhere whether that be some more Conservative Riverside COunty suburbs or liberal San Diego suburbs.

In doing this project, I'm trying to ensure every district represents a clear COI, and so a COI has to be large enough to sustain a CD. Though within a larger COI, you can have smaller COIs which I'm trying to respect.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2022, 01:39:47 AM »

Mhm. I think what people get wrong about OH-14 is that "rural farmlands" of Ashtabula County are what powers the district, when in reality, it's a mostly suburban/exurban Cleveland district, and so I pulled it a bit further into Cleveland so that the Mahoning Valley could be kept whole. Ig another similar comparison are the people who think Inland San Diego County on it's own is enough to sustain a CD; no, you need suburbs from somewhere whether that be some more Conservative Riverside COunty suburbs or liberal San Diego suburbs.

In doing this project, I'm trying to ensure every district represents a clear COI, and so a COI has to be large enough to sustain a CD. Though within a larger COI, you can have smaller COIs which I'm trying to respect.
Keen observations.
East County of San Diego or Ashtabula County may be big on the map, but they don't even reach 200k. The whole-county NE OH seat I drew was basically 20% Ashtabula, 25% Mahoning Valley, and 55% Cleveland and Akron Exurbs. The first is far from enough to form a district or even come close. Combine it with the entire Mahoning Valley and you get closer, but you still need to add something else to get to quota.

Another similar case that comes to mind is TX-23. Many people probably think it's a rural district. That's not necessarily true. It's half-Bexar, with a chunk of the rest coming from El Paso (another urban county).

Big, vast geographic regions grab eyeballs but that is a function of their area. Looks can be deceiving.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2022, 01:42:02 AM »

Keen observations.
East County of San Diego or Ashtabula County may be big on the map, but they don't even reach 200k. The whole-county NE OH seat I drew was basically 20% Ashtabula, 25% Mahoning Valley, and 55% Cleveland and Akron Exurbs. The first is far from enough to form a district or even come close. Combine it with the entire Mahoning Valley and you get closer, but you still need to add something else to get to quota.

Another similar case that comes to mind is TX-23. Many people probably think it's a rural district. That's not necessarily true. It's half-Bexar, with a chunk of the rest coming from El Paso (another urban county).

Big, vast geographic regions grab eyeballs but that is a function of their area. Looks can be deceiving.

Yeah TX is on the roster soon, and the border is always interesting to deal with because of how extreme the urban/rural divide can be. And then you have Cali with all the mountains
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2022, 01:44:44 AM »
« Edited: December 11, 2022, 01:49:37 AM by Southern Delegate and Atlasian AG Punxsutawney Phil »

One interesting thing your maps are revealing is just how empty some places in the country are compared to neighboring regions. Your State College CD has what is probably 35% of Pennsylvania's land area (while having 6% or so of the state's population), and I imagine that is from it scooping up a ton of rural counties and it being so far from any real metropolitan areas.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2022, 01:49:44 AM »

One interesting thing your maps are revealing is just how empty some places in the country are compared to neighboring regions. Your State College CD has what is probably 35% of Pennsylvania's land area, and I imagine that is from it scooping up a ton of rural counties and it being so far from any real metropolitan areas.

Yeah, that's kind of the case on the new Court Drawn PA map too. Honestly it sort of surprised me how large the new PA-15 when the map first came out as it became very exclusively rural and the old version was pretty severely underpopulated.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2022, 01:55:27 AM »

One interesting thing your maps are revealing is just how empty some places in the country are compared to neighboring regions. Your State College CD has what is probably 35% of Pennsylvania's land area, and I imagine that is from it scooping up a ton of rural counties and it being so far from any real metropolitan areas.

Yeah, that's kind of the case on the new Court Drawn PA map too. Honestly it sort of surprised me how large the new PA-15 when the map first came out as it became very exclusively rural and the old version was pretty severely underpopulated.
At this point, it would take pretty clear gerrymandering to prevent some big, "oversized" rural CD in PA. Too much population decline in rural areas, too many lost House seats, too many wide stretches of said rural areas...
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies