What happens if Democrats and moderate Republicans elect a compromise speaker? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:44:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What happens if Democrats and moderate Republicans elect a compromise speaker? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What happens if Democrats and moderate Republicans elect a compromise speaker?  (Read 640 times)
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« on: December 02, 2022, 11:47:32 PM »

https://www.politico.com/minutes/congress/12-2-2022/mccarthy-upton-speaker/

Outgoing Republican rep Fred Upton has been mentioned behind close doors as an alternate if Fred McCarthy fails to get 218 votes.

Having read up on him, I think he would be a good choice. He voted to impeach Trump and supports DACA. He also belives climate change is a big problem. He also voted for BIF, Violence aganist Women Act and supports background checks for guns.

Although he did vote aganist Obamacare and suppported a full repeal in 2017 ugh.

Its unlikely. If five republicans voted for a compromise speaker with democrat help they would almost certainly be kicked out the republican caucus and out the party.

Still, I think a compromise speaker would be great. Kevin McCarthy being speaker means MTG being speaker. Say what you want about Cocaine Mitch, he stands up to Trump and doesnt want democracy to die (well maybe by courts long term).

My question, how does this affect floor votes. Previous Republican speakers refused floor votes for even popular bills passed in the senate, even with bipartisan support. The 2013 immigration bill comes to mind.

Would a compromise speaker elected with help of democrats allow floor votes?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies