What happens if Democrats and moderate Republicans elect a compromise speaker?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:21:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What happens if Democrats and moderate Republicans elect a compromise speaker?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What happens if Democrats and moderate Republicans elect a compromise speaker?  (Read 613 times)
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 02, 2022, 11:47:32 PM »

https://www.politico.com/minutes/congress/12-2-2022/mccarthy-upton-speaker/

Outgoing Republican rep Fred Upton has been mentioned behind close doors as an alternate if Fred McCarthy fails to get 218 votes.

Having read up on him, I think he would be a good choice. He voted to impeach Trump and supports DACA. He also belives climate change is a big problem. He also voted for BIF, Violence aganist Women Act and supports background checks for guns.

Although he did vote aganist Obamacare and suppported a full repeal in 2017 ugh.

Its unlikely. If five republicans voted for a compromise speaker with democrat help they would almost certainly be kicked out the republican caucus and out the party.

Still, I think a compromise speaker would be great. Kevin McCarthy being speaker means MTG being speaker. Say what you want about Cocaine Mitch, he stands up to Trump and doesnt want democracy to die (well maybe by courts long term).

My question, how does this affect floor votes. Previous Republican speakers refused floor votes for even popular bills passed in the senate, even with bipartisan support. The 2013 immigration bill comes to mind.

Would a compromise speaker elected with help of democrats allow floor votes?
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 12:08:26 AM »

1. I oppose a speaker who's not going to be a sitting member of Congress.
2. The fact that McCarthy isn't the compromise candidate says more about the conservative wing of the GOP than it does anything else.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 01:00:35 AM »

1. I oppose a speaker who's not going to be a sitting member of Congress.

Why though?
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 11:29:51 AM »
« Edited: December 03, 2022, 04:24:08 PM by Orser67 »

I think it would probably look a lot like the 114th Congress (2015-2017), where some relatively uncontroversial bipartisan bills got passed, and the two parties largely deferred major battles until after the next presidential election. Of course, a potential Supreme Court nomination would look a lot different with Democrats in control of the Senate.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 12:28:51 PM »

Political pundits would all have a giant collective orgasm that could be heard from space, and for the next 25 years we'd never hear the end of West Wing style wacky political ideas, because hey it did actually happen that one time.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 12:43:10 PM »

Wonder how the GOP will spin begging Hakeem Jeffries for votes to pass legislation like they did Nancy, who was the most evil person in the world until Republicans needed to pass a bill.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2022, 05:02:37 PM »

Political pundits would all have a giant collective orgasm that could be heard from space, and for the next 25 years we'd never hear the end of West Wing style wacky political ideas, because hey it did actually happen that one time.

The Alaskans will look down on us and smile.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 05:26:04 PM »

Oh my God, if this happened, I would laugh endlessly for days.
(Probability near zero, though.)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 05:57:32 PM »

The Freedom caucus are a bunch of idiots, craven self serving sycophants, or both. I wish so much that we got the timeline where Trump nuked them instead of making them his useful idiots.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 07:46:54 PM »

Oh my God, if this happened, I would laugh endlessly for days.
(Probability near zero, though.)

Yeah, at this point any humiliation for McCarthy still managing to fall short of his Speaker of the House fantasy would be worth it, no matter the means.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2022, 05:57:59 AM »
« Edited: December 04, 2022, 06:21:21 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

We are gonna find out but Biden already conceded that McCarthy is gonna be Speaker due to fact Pelosi stepped down and Biden has already given a go to the WV pipeline the only thing in the Debt Ceiling that is missing is the Border wall and Obama and Biden built 128 miles of it and Trump
built  400m and for now the 20% Corporate taxes stays until 24, the WV pipeline if it passed before Eday just like SSM would have helped Ds like Ryan he needed that WV pipeline and NY Ds like Sean Patrick Murphy whom was gay needed that SSM bill, but they never passed it

If McCarthy fails to get 218 it will go to 2nd and 3rd ballot but the Rs can launch a Partisan witch hunt on Hunter but it's not gonna be Benghazi style they only have 220 votes not 241

We are already close enough to get a Filibuster proof Trifecta Gallego beats Sinema, and should Manchin loses we still have Brown and Tester and we can target TX or FL and win back the seats we lost in CA and NY, Feinstein and Gillibrand are up in CA and NY and will max out D turnout in the H

Biden conceded the Speaker to McCarthy he feels we can win back everything in 24, as far as Hunter is concerned he paid his taxes late like Trump did that's not a Benghazi style investigation, Hillary got blamed because 4 Americans got killed, no one died but with Trump people died during his insurrection
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2022, 02:39:47 PM »

https://www.politico.com/minutes/congress/12-2-2022/mccarthy-upton-speaker/

Outgoing Republican rep Fred Upton has been mentioned behind close doors as an alternate if Fred McCarthy fails to get 218 votes.

Having read up on him, I think he would be a good choice. He voted to impeach Trump and supports DACA. He also belives climate change is a big problem. He also voted for BIF, Violence aganist Women Act and supports background checks for guns.

Although he did vote aganist Obamacare and suppported a full repeal in 2017 ugh.

Its unlikely. If five republicans voted for a compromise speaker with democrat help they would almost certainly be kicked out the republican caucus and out the party.

Still, I think a compromise speaker would be great. Kevin McCarthy being speaker means MTG being speaker. Say what you want about Cocaine Mitch, he stands up to Trump and doesnt want democracy to die (well maybe by courts long term).

My question, how does this affect floor votes. Previous Republican speakers refused floor votes for even popular bills passed in the senate, even with bipartisan support. The 2013 immigration bill comes to mind.

Would a compromise speaker elected with help of democrats allow floor votes?

Upton is a corporate globalist who personifies the sort of Republican that facilitated the exported our industrial base.  He epitomizes the Republican role in the destruction of the middle class; the sort of Mitt Romney Republican that can talk about "the 47 percent" out of one side of his mouth and "Black Lives Matter" out of the other side.  The Democratic Party is still in the throes of Woke Madness, but the Upton's of the World are the folks that trashed the Middle Class despite their Clean Language and Good Manners.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2022, 03:07:43 PM »

I honestly don't see that happening. Republicans may ultimately fall in line now that they have 221 seats, which provides them some margin of error. It might not be McCarthy at the the end of day, but I really don't see this happening. Besides, are there any moderate Republicans left? Brian Fitzpartrick is the only one I can think of, and even he said he'd only support McCarthy.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2022, 06:28:08 PM »

I would lose my mind if Fred Upton became Speaker. 

Personally, if the parties can't find somebody they both like, I think they should find somebody they both dislike.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2022, 07:08:21 PM »

if Fred McCarthy fails to get 218 votes.

I'm pretty sure Fred McCarthy will not get 218 votes. Kevin McCarthy, on the other hand
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies