Maine officials lambast Biden for serving lobster at state dinner while trying to regulate industry
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:13:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Maine officials lambast Biden for serving lobster at state dinner while trying to regulate industry
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Maine officials lambast Biden for serving lobster at state dinner while trying to regulate industry  (Read 1195 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2022, 11:02:47 AM »

OMG truly the biggest scandal in presidential history

* second biggest.

Let's not forget the tan suit.

**third biggest

How could we forget Dijon mustard-gate
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2022, 12:45:02 PM »

it's interesting that not one of us tried to discus the merits (or lack there of) of the regulations.

If what the lobstermen say is true, that no right whales have ever been caught in Maine lobster trap paraphernalia, then they have every right in the world to be pissed at POTUS/the feds for trying to put them out of business for no good reason.

I was under the impression redavs were for the workers?  But not if govt regulation is involved (It's always good! More is better!  Save the whales!) and it embarrasses our political leaders?
The issue is that when whales get caught in nets, they escape but are often injured so die soon after from their injuries. Or they remain tangled past their bloat stage so they just sink to the ocean floor.
I don't think commercial lobster fishermen use nets.  They have traps that lay on the ocean floor.  In theory, it's the ropes they use to retrieve them that are the problem for right whales.  The lobstermen say this doesn't happen.

Making it about right whales in particular is a little surprising, but there was a Massachusetts state-level regulation against a specific type of crab trap promulgated last year that cited concern about terrapins (a small semiaquatic turtle species), so this isn't unheard-of for Gulf of Maine fisheries policy in general. My question would be if there are any alternative means that the lobstermen have for trapping them (there are plenty of alternative means for the crabs that are still allowed). I'm inclined to believe them if they say there aren't, but on the other hand, watermen can get ornery about these things.
indeed.  If they have alternatives and their paraphernalia causes whale deaths, sure, I'm not going to argue (too hard) about over govt regulation.

What I don't get are the posters up thread "lol"ing 4000 Americans potentially being put out of work.  You clowns will twist yourselves into knots trying to explain why college loan forgiveness is fair, but an entire industry getting shut down, seemingly for no good reason, is something to laugh at.
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2022, 07:24:29 PM »

OMG truly the biggest scandal in presidential history

* second biggest.

Let's not forget the tan suit.