Maine officials lambast Biden for serving lobster at state dinner while trying to regulate industry
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:21:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Maine officials lambast Biden for serving lobster at state dinner while trying to regulate industry
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Maine officials lambast Biden for serving lobster at state dinner while trying to regulate industry  (Read 1186 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 01, 2022, 05:49:13 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/biden-state-dinner-serves-lobster-la-controversy-rcna59639

The lobster featured on the menu of Thursday’s state dinner comes with caviar, squash ravioli — and a heaping side of controversy.

Maine officials would typically be thrilled to have their state’s most famous export featured at such a high-profile White House event. Instead, they’re turning red and boiling with anger at what they feel is a shellfish decision by the White House to serve lobster while pushing federal regulations that they say could kill the industry. [

The crustacean frustration is virtually unanimous among Maine politicians, who have come together to fight what they see as an existential threat to one of the state’s biggest industries and most iconic cultural touchstones.

"This is an issue that our federal delegation and state lawmakers, regardless of political party or ideology, are united on," said Genevieve McDonald, a Maine lobster boat captain who served two terms as a Democrat in the State House representing a group of island communities. "It's not just our economy, it's our cultural identity and our sense of place."

The lobster industry is feeling the pinch as concerns about lobstering’s impact on the endangered right whale, whose population is estimated to be below 370, have prompted new federal regulation and calls for boycotts.

Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 01:14:55 AM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/biden-state-dinner-serves-lobster-la-controversy-rcna59639

The crustacean frustration is virtually unanimous among Maine politicians, who have come together to fight what they see as an existential threat to one of the state’s biggest industries and most iconic cultural touchstones.

Someone had fun with that!

Does seem like it’s in poor taste to have lobster in this case.
Mr. Matt
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 08:44:46 AM »

Jared Golden == Frank Grimes confirmed

("I don't need safety gloves because I'm Bruce Pol--" zzzzzzap!)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 09:43:16 AM »

I'll bet that dastardly Biden served fancy mustard, too!
Spectator
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 10:13:43 AM »

This is why Golden is consistently tough to beat despite representing the reddest or second reddest seat in the country held by a Democrat.

Biden should probably take note that this is in poor taste.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 10:33:23 AM »

Jared Golden is representing the interests of the district, as he should.  They voted him in three times in a row - and it's a swing seat Democrats need.

I think it would serve everyone well if Joe, along with federal regulators, visited the Maine coast to meet with the fishermen, and then decided on what the regulation should be.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 10:56:05 AM »

Lobster for me, not for thee.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2022, 01:17:50 PM »

In fairness to Biden for those criticizing him about bad taste, I pretty much guarantee you that any food served at any dinner is going to be subject to some level of Federal Regulation which the producers of that product deem overreaching and overburdensome. A steak dinner? I'm sure Cattlemen could and would complain about Federal Land Management policies affecting their ranching. Any vegetables or other produce from California or the west? Darn Federal water policy sure does make it hard to properly irrigate our crops president biden!

I get where these main lobster men are coming from. But in further fairness to Biden I'll bet you three to one odds or better that he, and indeed probably most presidents in that situation, aren't aware of their administration's own changed policies restricting fishing or lobstering due to environmental concerns, where such regulations have probably been imposed by a mid-level functionary at the Department of Agriculture
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 01:41:01 PM »

These are just politicians representing a small but extremely relevant constituency
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 02:02:24 PM »

In two weeks nobody will remember this outside of Maine. Meanwhile Maine fisherman will remember Golden as the guy who “stood up for them”. If anything Biden probably is more than happy with these “attacks”.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2022, 02:04:30 PM »

This is an understandable reaction from fishermen and Maine politicians, but as Badger said, there is literally no meal the White House could serve that would not attract some criticism from some interest group that feels slighted by government regulations. Nobody will care about this in a week.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2022, 02:10:46 PM »

Wasting it on Macron and his cronies is the real crime here.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2022, 03:00:27 PM »

This is an understandable reaction from fishermen and Maine politicians, but as Badger said, there is literally no meal the White House could serve that would not attract some criticism from some interest group that feels slighted by government regulations. Nobody will care about this in a week.

"Just get over to McDonald's and back to the negotiating table", a former resident of the White House famously said.
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2022, 04:53:40 PM »

Who the hell cares?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2022, 05:13:13 PM »

it's interesting that not one of us tried to discus the merits (or lack there of) of the regulations.

If what the lobstermen say is true, that no right whales have ever been caught in Maine lobster trap paraphernalia, then they have every right in the world to be pissed at POTUS/the feds for trying to put them out of business for no good reason.

I was under the impression redavs were for the workers?  But not if govt regulation is involved (It's always good! More is better!  Save the whales!) and it embarrasses our political leaders?
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2022, 05:47:38 PM »

it's interesting that not one of us tried to discus the merits (or lack there of) of the regulations.

If what the lobstermen say is true, that no right whales have ever been caught in Maine lobster trap paraphernalia, then they have every right in the world to be pissed at POTUS/the feds for trying to put them out of business for no good reason.

I was under the impression redavs were for the workers?  But not if govt regulation is involved (It's always good! More is better!  Save the whales!) and it embarrasses our political leaders?
The issue is that when whales get caught in nets, they escape but are often injured so die soon after from their injuries. Or they remain tangled past their bloat stage so they just sink to the ocean floor.
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2022, 06:04:09 PM »

OMG truly the biggest scandal in presidential history
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2022, 06:07:04 PM »

What's next, did he serve Dijon mustard and wear a tan suit as well?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2022, 11:03:58 PM »

The issue is that when whales get caught in nets, they escape but are often injured so die soon after from their injuries. Or they remain tangled past their bloat stage so they just sink to the ocean floor.

Not to mention that sometimes application of federal Environmental laws are used as a chess game for an ulterior motive. For example, the litigation in the 90s about preserving the habitats of spotted owls in Oregon and Washington State Forest was pushed by environmentalist not nearly so much as to actually save the spot it out, which they supported nonetheless, but rather so that it could slow the then ramp it harvesting of old growth forests in the region. Strategy which was remarkably and commendably effective.

I have no firm basis for this, but I wonder if these regulations trying to preserve Wales was done in large part as an end run to require stricter limitations on overfishing of lobsters?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2022, 12:09:48 AM »

I don't think commercial lobster fishermen use nets.  They have traps that lay on the ocean floor.  In theory, it's the ropes they use to retrieve them that are the problem for right whales.  The lobstermen say this doesn't happen.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2022, 04:15:24 AM »

Line every Democrat against the wall!!!!
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2022, 10:21:18 AM »

Or in the case of some of us, lobster for thee but not for me, thank you very much.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2022, 10:25:03 AM »

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2022, 02:58:46 PM »

OMG truly the biggest scandal in presidential history

* second biggest.

Let's not forget the tan suit.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2022, 10:44:28 AM »

I don't think commercial lobster fishermen use nets.  They have traps that lay on the ocean floor.  In theory, it's the ropes they use to retrieve them that are the problem for right whales.  The lobstermen say this doesn't happen.

Making it about right whales in particular is a little surprising, but there was a Massachusetts state-level regulation against a specific type of crab trap promulgated last year that cited concern about terrapins (a small semiaquatic turtle species), so this isn't unheard-of for Gulf of Maine fisheries policy in general. My question would be if there are any alternative means that the lobstermen have for trapping them (there are plenty of alternative means for the crabs that are still allowed). I'm inclined to believe them if they say there aren't, but on the other hand, watermen can get ornery about these things.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies