Which NY Biden seat Republicans are still in congress past 2024?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:41:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Which NY Biden seat Republicans are still in congress past 2024?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which NY Biden seat Republicans are still in congrses past 2024?
Nick LaLota

George Santos

Anthony D'Esposito

Mike Lawler

Marc Molinaro

Brandon Williams

None of them

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which NY Biden seat Republicans are still in congress past 2024?  (Read 635 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 02, 2022, 05:40:44 PM »

Which Biden-district Republicans from New York will still be in congress past 2024?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 05:47:29 PM »

LaLota, Molinaro, Lawler.

D'Esposito can be beaten by a Democrat who gets the Black Hempstead vote out, people turn out more in presidential years.

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 06:07:50 PM »

Way too soon to say, but all of them except LaLota start off as underdogs
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 06:14:57 PM »

I think the hardest to see survive is D'Esposito.

NY-04 is an extremely polarized district, and it seems like the main reason he was able to win was because the black/Hispanic precincts in Hempstead specifically had a particularly extreme turnout dropff. I think he actually underran Zeldin too. With a more "normal" electorate, he would really struggle to overcome partisanship.

Everyone else I see in a tossup (or in the case of LaLota Lean R) race until I know more about who the candidates will be and such. Considering Rs will hold 6 Biden seats though, I think at least one other is bound to go down.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 06:20:03 PM »

I think the order from most to least vulnerable is D'Esposito, Santos, Lawler, Williams, Molinaro, LaLota.

LaLota starts as a clear favorite and Molinaro is probably a slight favorite as well. D'Esposito is an underdog, though not DOA, and the other three are in tossup races.

There's also a chance that Pat Ryan loses.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 06:27:18 PM »

I think the order from most to least vulnerable is D'Esposito, Santos, Lawler, Williams, Molinaro, LaLota.

LaLota starts as a clear favorite and Molinaro is probably a slight favorite as well. D'Esposito is an underdog, though not DOA, and the other three are in tossup races.

There's also a chance that Pat Ryan loses.

I would personally switch Lawler and Santos.

NY-03 is just really funky politically with a pretty polarized white population and a notable Asian population that tends to be pretty swingy and relatively a-political. With the right messaging, Santos could def win re-election here, especially since it seems like he's already willing to buck Rs on things like DACA.

NY-17 on the other hand is a district that outside of the Orthodox population, has much more normal dynamics. If Biden is winning this district by at least 6 points, Lawler should go down unless Ds nominate someone completely incompetent (which is possible). For reference in 2020, Biden won this district by almost exactly 10%.

NY-17 on the other hand
kwabbit

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 06:28:32 PM »

LaLota is favored. I'm inclined to think some of the LI swing is real. It swung hard in 2021 as well. The GOP found a winning message in 2021/22 here about crime and the police. Lean R.

From that, Santos starts as a tossup. His district isn't too Dem, Biden +8. I think it's perceived as Dem as D'Esposito's, but it's quite similar to Williams'. He might be able to generate a lot of crossover appeal if he doesn't play up the Jan 6 vibes.

D'Esposito will lose, but he seems more likely than Santos to overperform. Lean D.

Lawler is really playing up the bipartisanship already. He'll need the Orthodox vote in 2022. It was impressive he won despite them backing Maloney in the end. The district was only Clinton +2, so it's not as much of a lift as one would think to win it. Probably Tilt D.

Molinaro is in a Trump/Biden district, so it isn't that difficult to see him winning either. He also isn't extreme. He is lacking a geographic base now. It's pretty odd that he's not representing Duchess County. This one is a tossup.

Williams is also a tossup. If he's normal Syracuse could cling to him like they did to Katko. If the area was willing to have Katko win by 10 as Biden won by 10, then Williams can hope to replicate that 1/4. That's all he needs.

If I were to bet, I'd say LaLota, Molinaro, and Williams survive. But it would not take that much for Santos and Lawler to also survive. NY outside of the city is odd. It wouldn't be surprising for the GOP to hold up well there.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2022, 06:32:42 PM »

LaLota is favored. I'm inclined to think some of the LI swing is real. It swung hard in 2021 as well. The GOP found a winning message in 2021/22 here about crime and the police. Lean R.

From that, Santos starts as a tossup. His district isn't too Dem, Biden +8. I think it's perceived as Dem as D'Esposito's, but it's quite similar to Williams'. He might be able to generate a lot of crossover appeal if he doesn't play up the Jan 6 vibes.

D'Esposito will lose, but he seems more likely than Santos to overperform. Lean D.

Lawler is really playing up the bipartisanship already. He'll need the Orthodox vote in 2022. It was impressive he won despite them backing Maloney in the end. The district was only Clinton +2, so it's not as much of a lift as one would think to win it. Probably Tilt D.

Molinaro is in a Trump/Biden district, so it isn't that difficult to see him winning either. He also isn't extreme. He is lacking a geographic base now. It's pretty odd that he's not representing Duchess County. This one is a tossup.

Williams is also a tossup. If he's normal Syracuse could cling to him like they did to Katko. If the area was willing to have Katko win by 10 as Biden won by 10, then Williams can hope to replicate that 1/4. That's all he needs.

If I were to bet, I'd say LaLota, Molinaro, and Williams survive. But it would not take that much for Santos and Lawler to also survive. NY outside of the city is odd. It wouldn't be surprising for the GOP to hold up well there.

Clinton won Lawler's district by 8 points and Biden by 10; I think you might be thinking of the old config or smtg. It basically swung pretty hard left between 2016 and 2020 but the Orthodox pockets swung *extremely* hard towards Trump which mitigated the swings in the rest of the district. The Orthodox vote in this district is key to a Republican winning in a normal turnout year, and I expect Lawler to make ploys to try and get their support.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 07:04:13 PM »

Clinton won Lawler's district by 8 points and Biden by 10; I think you might be thinking of the old config or smtg. It basically swung pretty hard left between 2016 and 2020 but the Orthodox pockets swung *extremely* hard towards Trump which mitigated the swings in the rest of the district. The Orthodox vote in this district is key to a Republican winning in a normal turnout year, and I expect Lawler to make ploys to try and get their support.

Trump basically maxed out the Orthodox vote in 2020 and still lost here by 10.  If Dems can’t win back this seat with Presidential year turnout, they have real problems.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 07:14:01 PM »

Trump basically maxed out the Orthodox vote in 2020 and still lost here by 10.  If Dems can’t win back this seat with Presidential year turnout, they have real problems.

Maybe maxed out in terms of margin but not turnout. If they Orthodox community becomes more politically engaged that would be extremely powerful.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2022, 07:25:52 PM »

Maybe maxed out in terms of margin but not turnout. If they Orthodox community becomes more politically engaged that would be extremely powerful.

I think Lawler's biggest worry at this point is keeping the margins down in Westchester.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2022, 07:34:58 PM »

I think Lalota, Molinaro, and Williams have the best chance to. Honestly, all except maybe D'Espositio all have the potential to, just less so than the aforementioned three.

Again, this assumes the New York map isn't redrawn to be more Democratic favoring in the interim.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2022, 07:39:20 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2022, 07:42:31 PM by Mr.Phips »

Trump basically maxed out the Orthodox vote in 2020 and still lost here by 10.  If Dems can’t win back this seat with Presidential year turnout, they have real problems.

I think Lawler's biggest worry at this point is keeping the margins down in Westchester.

Low Dem turnout there was the killer for SPM.  Westchester should be enough for a Dem to win this seat in most cases.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2022, 08:06:17 PM »

NY-01: LaLota probably wins. Likely R.
NY-03: Really a big question mark to me, depends on how Santos presents himself. Toss-Up for now.
NY-04: D’Esposito is probably screwed no matter what he does, unless 2024 is a red wave or the results in NY were indicative of a huge shift to the right instead of turnout problems for Democrats. Lean/Likely D.
NY-17: Lawler has a chance, though he’ll be an underdog against an opponent better than SPM. Tilt/Lean D.
NY-19: Molinaro seems like he’d be a bit more likely to outrun the partisanship of the district, so I think he’ll be harder for Democrats to take out. Tilt/Lean R.
NY-22: Sort of like NY-03, depends a lot on what Williams does. Toss-Up for now, maybe slight Tilt R.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2022, 12:23:26 AM »

Not sure why the consensus seems to favor Molinaro so much. His margin wasn't anything to write home about and he has no Dutchess to fall back on.

I think LaLota is decently favored, none of the rest seem like particularly strong favorites.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies