If the British monarchy is abolished, what happens to the Windsors?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 09:56:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  If the British monarchy is abolished, what happens to the Windsors?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: If the British monarchy is abolished, what happens to the Windsors?  (Read 1144 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 02, 2022, 02:37:21 PM »

If the British monarchy is fully abolished, what happens to the House of Windsor? The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (Harry and Meghan) and their children will be fine financially, but what happens to Prince William and his children?

Will they be socialites or what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descendants_of_George_V
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 03:37:50 PM »

Probably socialties like the other surviving ousted European royals - and the old Indian princely families.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 03:55:45 PM »

Probably socialties like the other surviving ousted European royals - and the old Indian princely families.

Andrew, Duke of York would just be Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and he would be a exiled rich man.....

Imagine if all those titles were extinct and never heard from again....
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 05:06:33 PM »

We cut off their heads. Duh. That's how it works in these parts.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 11:03:25 AM »

I'm sure they would manage somehow.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 12:33:48 PM »

The redcoats will never abolish the monarchy. That would require the acknowledgment that the Revolution was justified and righteous. They are literally keeping it around just to spite us.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2022, 01:11:14 PM »

Calm down Lord Protector, have to arrange some treason charges first.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 01:22:47 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2022, 01:26:54 PM by Frodo »

Yet still there are descendants of the French Bourbon house alive and well in the French Republic more than two centuries after the French Revolution.  Albeit they are descendants of Philippe I of Orléans (the younger brother of King Louis XIV), but can still claim descent from his father King Louis XIII.  
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 04:13:12 PM »

Andrew, Duke of York would just be Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and he would be a exiled rich man.....

Andrew's title dies with him; under the current rules, it can't be passed to a woman, so Beatrice can't inherit it. It will become available to be created again, probably to Prince Louis.

Charles inherited Edinburgh when his father died; when he become King, his previous titles merged in the Crown. Some were transferred automatically - Duke of Cornwall most notably - to William, some of others - Prince of Wales - were bestowed on him the day after his accession. The long-standing speculation has been that Edinburgh would eventually go to Edward - whose top title is Earl of Wessex - but Charles hasn't yet done that. He may or may not; it is his personal decision.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 04:58:15 PM »

I will never get how someone can be as obsessed with the UK royal family as Bronz is, while at the same time having such shallow knowledge about them.

kcguy
Romania

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2022, 05:09:22 PM »

I'm not sure, but I think the Windsors are the legal owners of the "Duchy of Lancaster" and "Duchy of Cornwall" as their own private property.  If so, they won't be financially hurting.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2022, 05:18:39 PM »

Andrew's title dies with him; under the current rules, it can't be passed to a woman, so Beatrice can't inherit it. It will become available to be created again, probably to Prince Louis.

Charles inherited Edinburgh when his father died; when he become King, his previous titles merged in the Crown. Some were transferred automatically - Duke of Cornwall most notably - to William, some of others - Prince of Wales - were bestowed on him the day after his accession. The long-standing speculation has been that Edinburgh would eventually go to Edward - whose top title is Earl of Wessex - but Charles hasn't yet done that. He may or may not; it is his personal decision.

I don't know if Charles and William will want the York title to Louis---the title looks cursed. Andrew' grandfather, George VI, the last spare to be King, had no sons and neither did Andrew......

The title is reserved for second sons of monarchs, I think Charles and William will want to give Louis a cleaner, curseless title.....like Duke of Kendal or Ross......

Charles does not like Andrew and Edward, he barely recognizes his nieces and nephews. He only likes Anne's children, Peter and Zara...Zara is like the daughter Charles never had.....his goddaughter...

Charles and Anne grew up together more than he did with his brothers.

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2022, 05:19:23 PM »

I will never get how someone can be as obsessed with the UK royal family as Bronz is, while at the same time having such shallow knowledge about them.

I do have knowledge about them....come on.....
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2022, 06:11:18 PM »

It depends on how the monarchy is abolished and how draconian the new Republican government will be. In a violent revolution the Windsors will be executed, put in reeducation camps, or exiled (incredible unlikely).

In a peaceful revolution they will keep their possessions, but traditional the monarch and his closest family will go into exile only returning decades later and the lesser member of the family will stay.

In a democratic establishment of a republic, they will keep their possessions or at least get compensation for the ones nationalized, there will likely lengthy legal proceedings over which properties belong to the British state and which belong to the family.

Then that's said, I use the two first examples because I have a hard time imagine the monarchy being abolished in UK as it is today. UK pretty much have to end up under an authoritarian regime or see a total collapse in living standards for the monarchy to be abolished. Yes, someone like Prince Andrew could end up in charge and destroy the reputation of the monarchy, but I find it more likely that the monarch abdicates, or parliament remove him in favor of a more competent relative.

Liberal democracies tend to not like disruption to the status quo, especially if it means replacing a powerless apolitical head of state with a potential powerful and political head of state.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2022, 07:54:16 PM »

The redcoats will never abolish the monarchy. That would require the acknowledgment that the Revolution was justified and righteous. They are literally keeping it around just to spite us.
It wasn’t justified.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2022, 04:21:23 AM »

Doesn't the Royal Family own 20% of all land in England?

I would say they'll do O.K.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2022, 05:21:16 AM »

Stalin thought the sensible thing to do with the last Chinese emperor who was a Japanese puppet during WW2 was execute him, but China decided to turn him into a good communist to show that they were better than the USSR.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2022, 06:17:11 AM »

Doesn't the Royal Family own 20% of all land in England?

I would say they'll do O.K.

The Crown Estate owns 287,000 acres of agricultural land and forests, not exactly a fifth of England, in comparison the King Ranch in Texas covers 825,000 acres.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2022, 10:56:53 AM »

I presume at least some here will be familiar with The Queen And I?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2022, 11:19:27 AM »

I'm not sure, but I think the Windsors are the legal owners of the "Duchy of Lancaster" and "Duchy of Cornwall" as their own private property.  If so, they won't be financially hurting.

No they are not. But they do own Balmoral and Sandringham, along with their respective estates.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2022, 11:49:59 AM »

I think if the Windsors were still around in the UK or Canada, they would still try to operate as if they were still in power. There would still be plenty of royalists out there, so they would still have demand for events and charities and whatnot. Also I'd guess that they would assume that they could one day return to the throne (ala the French royals after Napoleon) so they would keep up appearances even if they didn't have the power.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2022, 12:26:44 PM »

labour could capitliaze on anti royalist senitments among fomrerly comonwealth naitonality peoples by aboloshing the monarchy along w/the house of lords
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2022, 02:20:38 PM »

labour could capitliaze on anti royalist senitments among fomrerly comonwealth naitonality peoples by aboloshing the monarchy along w/the house of lords

Yes because there's a vast untapped pool of ethnic minority voters who currently vote Tory but would switch to Labour if only Starmer said down with the king.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2022, 03:09:13 PM »

Yes because there's a vast untapped pool of ethnic minority voters who currently vote Tory but would switch to Labour if only Starmer said down with the king.

Yes there would be compelled by apologies for COLONIAALISM and returning of the Crown Jewels and Brit museum artifacts to rightful owners, this would flip the Tory southeastern England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 seats

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2022, 04:19:39 PM »

Anything the French can do, the British can do better.

Based on very recent events, would you care to revise this statement?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies