And the VP is... Edwards (say CNN, Fox, NBC,...)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:19:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  And the VP is... Edwards (say CNN, Fox, NBC,...)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: And the VP is... Edwards (say CNN, Fox, NBC,...)  (Read 2492 times)
Umengus
Belgium

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2004, 07:01:59 AM »
« edited: July 06, 2004, 07:06:23 AM by Umengus »

yes! A new topic to celebrate this fantastic new!
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 07:06:13 AM »

Phew, just when I thought it was Vilsack.

This is very good news, Kerry definitely made a choice that will at least give him slight bumps.
raggage

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 07:06:37 AM »

Yep, just saw it on CNN. Amen (even though im not religious). It was the only real choice
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 07:11:10 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2004, 07:12:47 AM by Umengus »

I tought that it would be Vislack too... But Kerry is not stupid and for me it's the first quality to make a good president...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 07:11:50 AM »

I've just read it on Reuters Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 07:13:24 AM »

Good morning America...
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 07:16:48 AM »

So Kerry went for charisma vice experience.  That will help with some voters.  Won't bring a state, but may tilt some of the undecided voters towards his ranks.  I still think it should be an Edwards/someone else ticket, since Edwards is more "electable."
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 07:19:17 AM »

So Kerry went for charisma vice experience.  That will help with some voters.  Won't bring a state, but may tilt some of the undecided voters towards his ranks.  I still think it should be an Edwards/someone else ticket, since Edwards is more "electable."

Edwards/Dean...
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 07:20:21 AM »

Cheesy!!!!!!!!!!!
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 07:28:39 AM »

Edwards/Dean...

That could have been a winner.  I like Edwards . . . but I don't think he and Kerry will win this year.  Of course, there are rumors that he wouldn't be re-elected in North Carolina next go-around either.  This could be an all-or-nothing bet on his part.
millwx

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2004, 07:44:07 AM »

Part at my house.  Smiley

Seriously, I'm no big fan of Edwards, esp. his protectionist ideas.  But, frankly, like him or not, he is the most popular of those available.  And, sadly, the election often turns on popularity, likability, etc.  Of course, a Veep won't turn many votes.  But ANY votes in a close election is critical.  So, Edwards was the best pick.  I'm no fan, but my keenest interest is in seeing Bush ousted.  I'd vote Bednarik if he had a chance.  He doesn't.  So, I'm forced to line up behind Kerry.  Anything he can do to improve his chances is good in my book.  Picking Edwards was smart.

And, incidentally, according the Mason-Dixon, the supposed pinnacle of polling firms, though the poll is a bit old at this point (but the race doesn't seem to have shifted much), this now makes North Carolina a toss-up state.  SC could shift a bit as well, though the Rep base there should keep it solidly Bush country.  VA is a wildcard... the argument that Edwards won't pull much there is valid (he bombed in the Dem primary, then again, that was only among Dems), but some polls show VA surprisingly close.  I have no idea what this will do, if anything, to VA.  How about some other job-concerned states?  (OH, MI, etc.)  And then, is all this talk of the VP impact overblown?  He is only the VP candidate, after all.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2004, 08:04:12 AM »

Of course, the Dem ticket would be stronger if Edwards were the PC instead of the VPC.

Agreed, that is why I don't think Kerry will win.  This is a replay of 2000, where the two weakest Presidential Candidates from both party faced each other.  Will the Dems learn their lesson in 2008?  Enough of these Gore/Kerry types.  At least Bill was tollerable.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2004, 08:28:52 AM »

Woohoo! Thank goodness I was wrong. Go Edwards! Go Edwards!
mddem2004

Political Matrix
E: -6.38, S: -4.00

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2004, 08:44:33 AM »

Woohoo! Thank goodness I was wrong. Go Edwards! Go Edwards!
Indeed! My gut was telling me he would pick Vilsak but my heart (and Hopes!) we're with Edwards!

Watch the southern (or just rural) White, under 45, male, HS educated, lower to middle class demographic. If theres movement there towards this ticket, Bush will have a fight where he didn't expect one.
Josh
cyberlord

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2004, 09:27:14 AM »

Edwards was probably the best choice available.  As others have said, the Veep doesn't pull a whole lot of votes usually, but it may be a few.  Also, Dean may have had lots of support (and he was a personal favorite), but the majority of Deaniacs would vote Democrat no matter the VP choice.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2004, 10:07:22 AM »

I expect them to run as a virtual Edwards/Kerry ticket, much like the Bentsen/Dukakis ticket.  The field was not filled with great choices, but Edwards is definitely the best of the lot.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies