Do you support a Universal Paid Sick Leave Program ? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:38:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Do you support a Universal Paid Sick Leave Program ? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you support a Universal Paid Sick Leave Program ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Do you support a Universal Paid Sick Leave Program ?  (Read 1092 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« on: December 02, 2022, 10:24:53 AM »

Yes, but some smaller businesses might not be able to afford it.  So put a number on the number of employees a company must have before it is mandatory (I'm not going to).
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 11:58:15 AM »

Yes, but some smaller businesses might not be able to afford it.  So put a number on the number of employees a company must have before it is mandatory (I'm not going to).

The problem with that is if small businesses won't offer paid sick time as a benefit, they may struggle to compete with the bigger companies in the hiring market.  Rather than be exempted from a federal law mandating paid leave, the government would step in to cover the tab for businesses under a certain size.

Your first sentence is absolutely correct.  But that's always been the case with small businesses trying to compete for talent.  They don't have the money the big boys due for great pay and benefits.  However the smart small businesses will, if they can afford it, offer it.  For my part time assistant, I pay her when she's sick, and she's making much much more than her past job.  There are other perks she has too.  But it's my choice to do it and she's outstanding so I do what I need to not to lose her.

I'm just not in favor of a government mandate for small businesses (pick an employee count number to define it) or another government program, to be honest.  So I support it but I'm just not sure if it's doable. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 12:24:46 PM »

The problem with that is if small businesses won't offer paid sick time as a benefit, they may struggle to compete with the bigger companies in the hiring market.  Rather than be exempted from a federal law mandating paid leave, the government would step in to cover the tab for businesses under a certain size.

Your first sentence is absolutely correct.  But that's always been the case with small businesses trying to compete for talent.  They don't have the money the big boys due for great pay and benefits.  However the smart small businesses will, if they can afford it, offer it.  For my part time assistant, I pay her when she's sick, and she's making much much more than her past job.  There are other perks she has too.  But it's my choice to do it and she's outstanding so I do what I need to not to lose her.

I'm just not in favor of a government mandate for small businesses (pick an employee count number to define it) or another government program, to be honest.  So I support it but I'm just not sure if it's doable. 

Most countries do it through a social security type system where everyone pays into it via payroll taxes.

Understood.  I don't see that every happening in reality here.  We'll see.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies