Yale University sued for discriminating against the mentally ill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:33:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Yale University sued for discriminating against the mentally ill
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Yale University sued for discriminating against the mentally ill  (Read 507 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 01, 2022, 05:56:58 PM »
« edited: December 13, 2022, 11:52:10 AM by GM Team Member NewYorkExpress »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/30/us/yale-university-mental-health-disabilities-lawsuit/index.html

Current students and an advocacy group are suing Yale University and its governing body, alleging “systemic discrimination against students with mental health disabilities,” according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday in Connecticut federal court.

The lawsuit alleges the university discriminated against students with mental health disabilities and forced students to withdraw from the school after showing severe mental health disability symptoms.

Yale officials pressure students to take “voluntary” leaves of absence for at least one or two terms when they experience significant symptoms from a mental health disability by suggesting they would otherwise face an ‘involuntary’ withdrawal,” the lawsuit alleges.

Students who withdraw from the university are barred from visiting campus and all campus activities without prior permission from the school, including in-person summer classes that are open to non-students, the lawsuit states.

The policies require students on withdrawal to move out of their campus housing within 48 hours.

Rishi Mirchandani, a Yale alumnus and plaintiff in the lawsuit, described his struggles with school when he was dealing with his own mental health crisis as a college student there.

“I think that Yale tends to wash its hands of cases of mental illness that are too severe because they don’t want to be associated with that student. They want the student to deal with their issues anywhere except Yale’s campus,” Mirchandani told CNN. “And in some instances, taking time off is a healthy decision. In other cases, it separates students from their primary support group.”
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 07:04:44 PM »

Harvard - according to anecdotal experiences I’ve heard of - similarly pressures students who are having trouble with mental health to take leaves of absence.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 07:05:45 PM »

Yale and Harvard also discriminate against stupid people. Unacceptable in 2022.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 09:49:29 PM »

There are progressives who would argue this unironically.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 11:25:09 PM »

Imagine if during my mental health struggles over high school my parents tried to pull me out of school and send me to a facility (they did threaten a couple times) My life would be so much worse today. Yes if it’s actual suicide attempting, then I can understand for liability reasons while Yale is doing this, but anything less should not result in students being coerced out of university.

I really resonate with this, taking the mentally ill out of society is not a solution. These policies should be reviewed carefully. Luckily it does appear Yale is doing that.
longtimelurker

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 2.43

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 01:01:05 AM »

Back around 1990, there was a group left-wing extremists at The University of Chicago who stated that the only reason that UC held classes during the day and not at night was so that the poor people who lived in the surrounding south side of Chicago could not attend the classes because they had to work at their jobs during the day.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 01:29:08 AM »

Back around 1990, there was a group left-wing extremists at The University of Chicago who stated that the only reason that UC held classes during the day and not at night was so that the poor people who lived in the surrounding south side of Chicago could not attend the classes because they had to work at their jobs during the day.
I want to read more about this. Lol. Any more info/links?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2022, 04:15:18 AM »

Harvard - according to anecdotal experiences I’ve heard of - similarly pressures students who are having trouble with mental health to take leaves of absence.

"Good" colleges in general, both research universities and liberal arts schools, have a reputation for this among mentally ill and/or disabled academics. I was fairly hounded out of Bard before making it to UMass, where my depression, idealization/devaluation cycles, and paranoia were allowed to stabilize. It's part of the broader culture of philosopher-king elitism and quasi-Gnostic snobbery.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 11:56:54 AM »

Mental illness is rampant among students at elite colleges because these kids were always the best of their class, their teachers and parents were always praising them, inflating their egos.  That overinflated, not-based-in-anything-real sense of self-esteem is then completely wrecked the moment they're no longer the smartest kid in the room.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 12:41:17 PM »

A lot of kids in elite higher education come from backgrounds where they were too stressed out and the academic rigor was not conductive to having healthy personality and social development. Then there's the fact they enter college around the age when most people's biological mental health issues first start to clearly manifest themselves.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2022, 01:57:50 PM »

Mental illness is rampant among students at elite colleges because these kids were always the best of their class, their teachers and parents were always praising them, inflating their egos.  That overinflated, not-based-in-anything-real sense of self-esteem is then completely wrecked the moment they're no longer the smartest kid in the room.
Lol, if anything it’s the opposite for a lot of them, especially Asians. Often they had really strict and high expectation parents who rarely doled out much praise. With a lot of these overachievers they never developed any real sense of purpose beyond pleasing their parents and everyone around them and now have nothing to base their life on. Sure their teachers praised them, but parents? It was always never enough. They always had to do better, you have to constantly be number one are you are nothing. And now what? That’s why so many are suffering.

Of course you want an excuse to demonize these kids as just spoiled brats who think they are owed the world because they don’t vote the way you like so for that purpose your characterization works better.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2022, 03:45:18 PM »

Lol, if anything it’s the opposite for a lot of them, especially Asians. Often they had really strict and high expectation parents who rarely doled out much praise. With a lot of these overachievers they never developed any real sense of purpose beyond pleasing their parents and everyone around them and now have nothing to base their life on. Sure their teachers praised them, but parents? It was always never enough. They always had to do better, you have to constantly be number one are you are nothing. And now what? That’s why so many are suffering.

Of course you want an excuse to demonize these kids as just spoiled brats who think they are owed the world because they don’t vote the way you like so for that purpose your characterization works better.

I think it depends on the kids in question. My experience at Bard was actually more similar to what Del Tachi is suggesting than to what you are, but it was also disproportionately white and disproportionately "hippie" compared to the Ivies or Stanford or wherever.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2022, 04:50:33 PM »

I would never have guessed given some of the people who come out of Yale and Harvard with degrees.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2022, 05:22:41 PM »

I would never have guessed given some of the people who come out of Yale and Harvard with degrees.
Woah I didn’t know you graduated from Yale! That’s so impressive.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2022, 05:25:35 PM »

Do you need some more hay for that straw man?
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2022, 06:26:03 PM »

Woah I didn’t know you graduated from Yale! That’s so impressive.

Whoever told you that you were funny has played a very mean trick on you.
longtimelurker

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 2.43

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2022, 08:28:10 PM »

I want to read more about this. Lol. Any more info/links?

There used to be a section in the weekly UC student paper (The Chicago Maroon) called The Grey City Journal that was produced by extreme-left students (there was also one on the opposite side, whose name escapes me).  It apparently no longer exists.  One would have to go through the archives (maybe even the gasp! paper archives) to locate the article.  There were some seriously crazy folks at the political extremes of UC then.  People who went to North Korea to support the "People's Revolution" - and came back to report positively on their experiences, for instance.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies