Which Southern state has the most liberal Republicans? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:56:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which Southern state has the most liberal Republicans? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which Southern state has the most liberal Republicans?
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Tennessee
Alabama
Louisiana
Mississippi
Arkansas
Texas
Oklahoma
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Which Southern state has the most liberal Republicans?  (Read 1834 times)
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« on: July 25, 2023, 01:28:04 PM »

Historically not at all, but I agree with Stuart98 that these days, South Carolina has the most liberal Republican Party in the South (at least if you exclude Virginia).
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 02:22:47 PM »

Somewhat strange results of the poll: Georgia leads, but i wouldn't say there are too many moderate Republicans elected, say, to state legislature. Of course - you can find such moderate Republicans in Atlanta or it's close suburbs, but most of legislative districts there are hopelessly Democratic (and, generally, become even more so with time). North Carolina Republicans had a moderate "mountain" wing in the past (with such politicians as former governor Holshouser, for example), but now - almost completely dominated by "Jesse Helms wing" (it's enough to look at ACU ratings of North Carolina legislature). I really can't characterize any of North Carolina elected Republican governors or members of Congress since Holshouser time as anything, but "very conservative"....

P.S. In this "polarized time", when even in states like Connecticut, which used to have a lot of moderate and even liberal Republicans, but now have much less of them (and substantially more of "normal Trumpists") it's difficult to talk about "liberal Republicans" (or "conservative Democrats" for that matter): they exist, but they live in "political ghettoes". And their influence is far from being great.....

Yeah

Well I do think there are more liberal state GOPs than Georgia's in the South, there are definitely more conservative ones too (Georgia's GOP arguably being more liberal than average for the South at this point, although by no means liberal).

However, I do not understand the votes for North Carolina. The North Carolina GOP is one of the most hardline in the South, let alone the country.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies