Which Southern state has the most liberal Republicans?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:33:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which Southern state has the most liberal Republicans?
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Tennessee
Alabama
Louisiana
Mississippi
Arkansas
Texas
Oklahoma
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Which Southern state has the most liberal Republicans?  (Read 1743 times)
SaneDemocrat

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 01, 2022, 01:14:05 PM »

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 01:23:04 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2022, 05:18:12 PM by Skill and Chance »

Historically, it was Tennessee.  Nowadays, it's probably Louisiana given coalition politics and the unique election system there. 
Spectator
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 01:29:34 PM »

Probably Louisiana on the whole since Louisiana is a different breed of religious conservatism compared to Evangelicalism.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 01:41:35 PM »

Probably Louisiana on the whole since Louisiana is a different breed of religious conservatism compared to Evangelicalism.

Well, they are even more pro-life than Evangelicals (Cajun Catholics are probably the most adamantly and sincerely pro-life group in the entire country), but more willing to compromise on almost all other socially conservative issues. 
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 02:50:57 PM »

Probably - Louisiana. In addition to other things this state is well known for rather pragmatic (sometimes - almost cynical) "pork barrel" politics, more so then for "ideological pure" one, which is more typical for some other states. And - many Louisiana Republicans were conservative Democrats until recently. And (again - generally) even conservative Democrats were, usually, more pragmatic (especially - on economy) then their "native Republican" counterparts..
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 05:01:52 PM »

Louisiana or Tennessee......
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 08:22:12 PM »

No mention of Florida? Despite its reputation, it's actually a very socially liberal state which is probably why RDS hasn't pushed for a strict abortion ban like a lot of his counterparts.
SaneDemocrat

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022, 08:29:09 PM »

No mention of Florida? Despite its reputation, it's actually a very socially liberal state which is probably why RDS hasn't pushed for a strict abortion ban like a lot of his counterparts.

Too easy
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 11:12:33 AM »

Mississippi is underrated as an option.  We have a long history of establishment porkers, and the state party is pretty in control when it comes to making sure the "right" kind of Republican wins the nom.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 03:12:49 PM »

Mississippi is underrated as an option.  We have a long history of establishment porkers, and the state party is pretty in control when it comes to making sure the "right" kind of Republican wins the nom.

Yeah, but you also have McDaniel, Watson and some other MAGA-types))))
Radicalneo
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2023, 11:32:54 PM »

Yeah, but you also have McDaniel, Watson and some other MAGA-types))))
Voters?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2023, 12:56:06 PM »

Idk. Maybe Georgia these days?
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2023, 01:00:29 PM »

Cindy Hyde-Smith, sadly.

Anyway, probably Louisiana, but if not for the jungle primary it might be Georgia. I think it's important to note, though, that Kemp might be papering over a lot of internal divisions in the GAGOP right now. I think South Carolina is a very underrated option.
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2023, 01:17:37 PM »

Voted South Carolina, shockingly few conservative gadflies there especially since Gowdy retired, and a lot of its more prominent political figures are seen as in the moderate or at least non-MAGA wing of the party.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2023, 01:28:04 PM »

Historically not at all, but I agree with Stuart98 that these days, South Carolina has the most liberal Republican Party in the South (at least if you exclude Virginia).
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2023, 01:34:26 PM »

Florida's weird because in polling, it's def pretty socially liberal. However, I think it has one of the loudest and most active social conservatives "anti-wokeness" movements in the Country. I guess there is a debate to be had about how much being anti-woke makes one a social conservative too.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2023, 01:51:37 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2023, 03:14:59 PM by smoltchanov »

Somewhat strange results of the poll: Georgia leads, but i wouldn't say there are too many moderate Republicans elected, say, to state legislature. Of course - you can find such moderate Republicans in Atlanta or it's close suburbs, but most of legislative districts there are hopelessly Democratic (and, generally, become even more so with time). North Carolina Republicans had a moderate "mountain" wing in the past (with such politicians as former governor Holshouser, for example), but now - almost completely dominated by "Jesse Helms wing" (it's enough to look at ACU ratings of North Carolina legislature). I really can't characterize any of North Carolina elected Republican governors or members of Congress since Holshouser time as anything, but "very conservative"....

P.S. In this "polarized time", when even in states like Connecticut, which used to have a lot of moderate and even liberal Republicans, but now has much less of them (and substantially more of "normal Trumpists") it's difficult to talk about "liberal Republicans" (or "conservative Democrats" for that matter): they exist, but they live in "political ghettoes". And their influence is far from being great.....
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2023, 02:22:47 PM »

Somewhat strange results of the poll: Georgia leads, but i wouldn't say there are too many moderate Republicans elected, say, to state legislature. Of course - you can find such moderate Republicans in Atlanta or it's close suburbs, but most of legislative districts there are hopelessly Democratic (and, generally, become even more so with time). North Carolina Republicans had a moderate "mountain" wing in the past (with such politicians as former governor Holshouser, for example), but now - almost completely dominated by "Jesse Helms wing" (it's enough to look at ACU ratings of North Carolina legislature). I really can't characterize any of North Carolina elected Republican governors or members of Congress since Holshouser time as anything, but "very conservative"....

P.S. In this "polarized time", when even in states like Connecticut, which used to have a lot of moderate and even liberal Republicans, but now have much less of them (and substantially more of "normal Trumpists") it's difficult to talk about "liberal Republicans" (or "conservative Democrats" for that matter): they exist, but they live in "political ghettoes". And their influence is far from being great.....

Yeah

Well I do think there are more liberal state GOPs than Georgia's in the South, there are definitely more conservative ones too (Georgia's GOP arguably being more liberal than average for the South at this point, although by no means liberal).

However, I do not understand the votes for North Carolina. The North Carolina GOP is one of the most hardline in the South, let alone the country.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2023, 06:14:45 PM »

By politicians, maybe South Carolina.  It had a shockingly hard time even passing a heartbeat bill, when most comparable Southern states passed total bans without much issue (although, I should say that North Carolina settled for a nearly pointless 12 weeks).

For the actual voters, probably Florida if you call it the South.  It lacks the religious social conservatism seen in the rest of the South.  In many ways, Georgia would still feel way more conservative than Florida despite their modern partisan margins.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2023, 01:42:30 AM »

I interpreted this question as the highest concentration of liberal Republicans, and thus voted Georgia. If we are talking Republican voters overall, then I'd say Florida.
ReaganLimbaugh
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2023, 05:20:47 PM »

Georgia, mainly because of Atlanta area, yesterdays upper end wealthy suburbs Buckhead, Dunwoody, Sandy Spring, Roswell, East Cobb, Gwinnett and wealthy people who want to be PC etc.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2023, 03:17:40 PM »

South Carolina's GOP is not nearly as far right as NC's GOP, having lived in both states and interacted with both. Although, Republicans in the Lowcountry tend to be more liberal than those in the upstate. My experience could be biased.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2023, 12:08:07 PM »

Georgia, mainly because of Atlanta area, yesterdays upper end wealthy suburbs Buckhead, Dunwoody, Sandy Spring, Roswell, East Cobb, Gwinnett and wealthy people who want to be PC etc.

These people aren't voting Republican anymore Cool
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2023, 01:50:27 PM »

South Carolina's GOP is not nearly as far right as NC's GOP, having lived in both states and interacted with both. Although, Republicans in the Lowcountry tend to be more liberal than those in the upstate. My experience could be biased.

I would agree from what I’ve seen. The low country is much more country club, old money kinda types  who tend to vote for the more economic center charismatic guy. Rubio won Charleston County in 2016. Though Warren did win it in 2018 and I thought it him as the more conservative choice
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2023, 09:45:14 PM »

Why are Kentucky and West Virginia not included? Makes especially little sense if you're going to include Oklahoma and thus are clearly not going for an extremely narrow definition of "the South."
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies